What wow players really want

Hello all,

Before i begin, this is my view on this. Do correct me and share your point of view.

It seems lately that players are having less fun playing world of warcraft. People are having burnouts, some are bored and other say there to much to do. These are just three of many complaints players have. They are all different but all got something in common. Players just aren’t having any fun anymore.

First we have to group up the different kind of players. You can correct me if im wrong but there are 4 big categories of players. The PvP player, The trader, The explorer, The Dungeon/raid player. In a game like World of Warcraft we need all of them, since all need each other. Satisfying them all at 100% is nearly impossible, if you make it more fun for the PvP players, the Dungeon/raid players feel left behind and vice versa. But you don’t need to make it perfect, a slightly imperfect world is often more satisfying than a perfect one, less is more.

Before i start ranting about the bad stuff, let start with the good stuff:

• The quests, compared to Vanilla are way more fun. They go smoothly and you feel part of the story.
  • Dungeon and Raid mechanics are way harder and sometimes more creative than they were.
  • Design of armor is looking better, so are the graphics and world design.
  • New things like Torghast, Island expeditions, horrific visions, the tower in legion are all great new challenges. But some were at the same time a nightmare at some point (will explain more a bit further)

Now i’ll start ranting about the bad stuff:

• Wow always has been a grind for gear, yet it didn’t feel like a burden. It felt great to become stronger because you didn’t feel like you had to become stronger, it’s because you wanted to grind and become stronger.
    Now you have to become stronger to finish things like the tower, horrific visions,… And you needed to finish those things since you needed the rewards from them. Not necessarily because you wanted them but you needed them.
  • Dungeon and raid finder are great sytems and yet also terrible. Not because of the system itself but the players. You leave the raid or dungeon? You don’t care, 15-30 min lock out is nothing and you’ll probably won’t see those players again so be impolite all you want. Same in Battlegrounds.
  • Gold farmers, Bots running around with 10 copies farming all herbs/mining and selling in bulk crashing the market for the regular player. Inflating the currency at a high speed.
  • Raid groups, some are bots and others aren’t, farming a certain area for that 0.001% mount drop. Killing every single mob in the area and ruining the quests for players in the area or causing massive lag.
  • Blizzard Shop change so you can’t buy that 180 days game time with ingame money at a discount. Only the 60 days or 30 if you exchange your token. I understand as a business that this temporarly inflates the subsriptions. But you will lose a lot more in the future. It’s hard to believe you did this for the gold farmers since they don’t care about this minor change. It’s the regular players that are affected by this. I used to buy those 180 days with tokens i bought with gold. The profit i made i used to buy the shop pets or mounts. Now, i can’t anymore. <= This is just my rant about the shop

There are plenty of other things i wish to add, but i don’t want to bore everyone even more so here are my potential solutions:

• Make it so players want to grind. But not have to. Example: I want to grind that reputation because i want that mount, not because i need the reputation for the achievement so i can fly.

• Punishing the leavers in Battleground, dungeon finder or raid finder is great. But those that leave don’t care and aren’t affected by the penalty. Its the players that stay and join those incomplete Battleground, dungeon or raids that are punished. You have to pick up the scraps and aren’t rewarded in the slightest. Example: joining a battleground 10 sec before the enemi teams caps the final flag. 30 min Queue and 10 honor reward. Just not worth it.
    So instead of punishing those players, reward those that stay or join. Bonus honor or gear. Something to motivate players so they don’t leave in return.
    As for those leavers, maybe extreem but if its possible to see how often they leave. And for those that leave like 7/10 games. Strip them of their honor rank.
    For battleground where teams are getting camped for honor, add the option to forfeit the game so the battleground simply ends and farm groups in alterac valley have a hard time getting it done.

• Give the option to reward a friendly, social player. We can right click and report bad ones, why not right click and reward good ones. Reward good social interaction with player will motivate players at talking normally again. I hope at least. For each person that liked you in this run you receive a token, just like timewalking tokens. Not something game breaking. Just something simple.

• For the gold farmers, I know it’s hard to ban them all. We players can keep reporting them, but it doesn’t change. There has to be a way to kick them or make it so unrewarding for them.

• Features like Torghast, horrific vision, The tower are great concepts and should be used again. Torghast should be more rewarding than only your weekly Soul ashe or low pet drops. Add something more since the concept is fun.
    Horrific visions was a great idea on letting players chose the difficulty. But the 5 masks togheter was a no go for most players, and the fact that you kinda needed to do it made this not fun. Take the good concept of the visions, let players chose how hard, reward them well like in the visions (good gear guaranteed, mounts and pets).

To sum it up:
Give players the freedom they don’t know they want and how they want it, reward good behavior instead of only punishing the bad sides. Make use of the old content and perfect it instead of scrapping it (like the warfronts, they still have potential :slight_smile: ).

Blizzard, get the best out of World of Warcraft by taking a step back. Happy players are paying players, so its a win win for everyone.

Thanks for reading and do correct me if needed.

2 Likes

No. The story in Shadowlands is a) not good (IMHO) and b) overpowering and confining, forcing every character through exactly the same quests in exactly the same sequence every time, unless you opt out of the story altogether with Threads. Even after levelling, though, you are stuck in a Groundhog Day loop with post-cap questlines, Renown and WQ.

Why would this be good? “Harder” is on the Easy<->Hard axis. “Good” is on the Good<->Bad axis. These axes are orthogonal. It’s like saying something is redder because it’s bigger.

PLEASE tell me you’re trolling. Seriously?

Well, they’re … something. I can understand the Mage Tower, but holding up the others as positive?

So we have at least added one data point in support of your observation that players see things differently, I guess.

3 Likes

How about not timegating content like it’s an early access game having to be funded?

3 Likes

How is the design better? Tier 3 sets from Vanilla and Tier 5/6 sets from TBC still look better than most of the modern sets they create. While this is my opinion I can not fully be alone on that one hence the remake of T6 in legion.

2 Likes

Designs is a taste, no comments on that :slight_smile: Thats why transmogs were made avaible. But i wasn’t only talking about armor. Also world design

People asked for that on cata to not burnout and eat all content on 1 week.

They wanted Blizzard to give content slower so they could enjoy the game.
Right now the timegate may be a bit too much but people asked to have it to start.

It’s good to see that it’s not all doom and gloom as there is plenty to be positive about still. Can’t really reply to everything since alot of it just comes down to personal preference so not much to discuss there.

Personally I believe alot of WoWs problems stem from this, but that starts with how the game is designed - which now pretty much forces people to feel like they must and no longer because they want to.

I get what you’re going for and I’m all for people acting respectful to eachother but asking Blizzard to reward people for being decent is kinda odd when you think about it. Being decent should be the norm in the first place, not acting like a total dbag…

I often see people interact and think “wow you’re good at a video game and now think that means you can treat people like :poop:?” It’s absolutely pathetic.

(also most likely even something with good intentions like this would get abused)

Blizzard should take this to heart.

There is still so much they can do with this game.

3 Likes

Thank you for reading and answering this with an open mind.
Yes indeed that kind thing should come from the heart and highlikely will be abused i agree with that. Kinda feels like a dumb suggestion now^^.

I can’t really comment on that because it’s personal opinions. If I compare Silverpine Forest from original WoW to Ardenweald then I find Silverpine simply to be better designed despite the graphics.

1 Like

Ok here is my wishlist!

• I want a purple pony without some annoying horn in the middle of the skull, and a couple of stars tattood on the body similar to my little pony.

• Less timegated content.

• Fewer powerbarriers in PvP.

• I want the infinite dragonflight to strike azeroth very soon.

• I want a more balanced gear aquisition rate from m+, arena, raids and the vault.

With this in mind - Play the content you enjoy and be rewarded with gear equal to the level of difficulty on the content ur doing.

And i want this to be prevented :

• a pve player forced to do arena because the PvP gear is faster to get.
  • a pvp player forced to do m+ because m+ is the fastest way of gearing.

Thats my good share of thoughts described in a few words.

3 Likes

This is the most stupidest silliest suggestion I have heard off…

And I support it btw. :+1:

2 Likes

I dunno… Rarity carries off the horn quite well I think.

(Also lets take note it was her first request)

2 Likes

Offline more, m+ only loot.

I want Wrath, Cata and MoP servers back. Because everything else that has been and will be is inferior.

Unfortunately some people really can’t stop.
A few days ago threads were popping up about people having completed their entire BC journey, in less than two weeks. At least this guy was admitting that he just couldn’t stop, and didn’t pull the not enough content, not enough grind card.

Maybe they overachieved, one quest (line) per week during WoD basically caused me to ignore them, I always felt I need to do them in one sit or somesuch, and what are they about anyway?

That being said, some of these systems work towards alt friendliness. In BC / LK, for example, at some point you’d rather run the daily heroic on a few of your characters, and quest a bit on another one, instead of just focusing a single one.

That also meaning, these two are literally an axis, and thus impossible to perfect. Some people want to play 14 focused hours on a single character every day to be meaningful, while others play much less and find that they don’t have time for their alts, and/or they are massively behind. For reference, see 75 rep per daily quest during MoP.

I think your division of “players” is wrong. I don’t view it as mutual categories.

For me there are four fundemental “playstyle approaches” at least in the past few expos, that have emerged as being encouraged and viewed as discreet:

• The PvPer
  • The Raider
  • The Dungeoneer
  • The Open-Worlder

Once upon a time the raider and the dungeoneer were the same, but legion has made them discreet.

The key thing is recognising these can overlap, like someone adhering to the dungeoneer playstyle, does not mean they cannot engage with the raider one.

The key thing is recognising that it is these four play areas, that seem to be “it” outside of them, there isn’t really a way to “Play” the game that isn’t extremely niche as to be extremely minute. I suppose you could consider Roleplayers a fifth group, but they’re quite small, and unlike the others, blizzard doesn’t design content with them consciously in mind.

You then have the differing degrees to which people engage with the game in terms of their mindedness - the casual-hardcore divide which maps on top.

So there aren’t four kinds of players, there are loads of types.

But the key thing to recognise is, these players are all some combination of the above four areas, so you absolutely need to be sure you’re providing these four areas.

Shadowlands fails because the Openworlder playstyle is very poorly supported and the other groups also have problems. There is not one of these groups that is consistently satisfied with their content.

Now, I know that it is impossible to have that, everyone be happy, but each area has at least one major area people take issue with, this isn’t just grumbling, it’s pretty fundemental.

• Raiding drop rates make raiding feel like it’s not worth doing compared to the others as a gearing path.
  • Mythic+ isn’t competitive with the others in gearing outside of the vault, even were people would be prepared to have to climb higher to get this. A fair portion of people don’t like valor’s use being tied to KSM achis which limits the utility of the VP.
  • PvP is blighted by massive catchup issues for alts and the “rating=ilevel” is a factor quite a few people take issue with.
  • Openworld is just fundementally lacking. There’s nothing to do beyond grinding cosmetic currencies in a repetitive fashion doing the same thing every single day, with these activities rewarding a tiny amount compared to what you need, which means you may not even see a single reward or update in a week of grinding.

SL’s issue is once the novelty of the content “being new” wears thin, you see that the content itself has stuff about it that makes it a bit clunky and makes you ask “why is this the case?” because it’s perfectly possible it didn’t need to be the case. This makes it irksome on a low level which can make doing it repeatedly grow boring a lot quicker than it should.
Combine that with a long patch and you have a recipe for disaster Nomi himself would be proud of.

3 Likes

And if we compare burning crusade where u had the option to spend as much time as needed to finnish what u wanted with BFA:

• Essences added in 8.2 with crazy powers buffing ur heart of azeroth, creating a big demand for a certain combinations depending on the content u chose to play.
    For example certain powers are needed for M+, some are needed for PvP while some are needed for raids.
    And a couple of these powers took several months to unlock due to timegating and lets not forget that if u wanted to make an alt u had to start all over again. :sweat_smile:
    I think they added some sloppy attempted feature late into the patch so u could purchase these on ur alts, but it was still a big grind.

• Corruptions added in 8.3 with crazy enchantments for ur gear, some incredibly overpowered, and was concidered a demand in order to perform at the top in both raids and arena.
    At first these were obtained through RNG, wich was a big problem with BFA in general.
    And then later made a currency farmable wich took a hell alot of time to get and then we got a vendor as a “solution” for it.
    Oh wait - the vendor is on a 1 week rotation with a span of 8 weeks in total,
    so that if u didnt cap this currency until it was ur “lucky” week you didnt have enough to spend it on all ur gear.
    And this led to players having to wait for another 8 weeks before you could progress ur character :sweat_smile:

• Now in SL we can see the same patterns covanents, renown, torghast, styggia farm.
    And we gotta do them all over again if we want alts !

The way these systems are designed is so that me as a player can not get to the “goal” without “spending” (in my case waiting) months per character, and this isnt beneficial for anyone. (Unless ur a company)
Making alts, or starting late in these patches is horrible.
When i view these systems based from a business perspective i genuinly believe it comes down to subs are getting low we cant just afford to pump out more content frequently.
If wow generatates less money, they spend less money.

• “Solution” number one - create a system that will keep players who are already addicted stuck for a longer period of time, and this costs less resources.
  • “Solution” number two - create a store mount
  • “Solution” number three - raise the price of the services available in the shop such as pct & rc.

The ideal solution for us players would be less timegating, quicker fixes to the problems we didnt want in the first place.

• Add these solutions, catchup mechanics or vendors way faster to the game let them be here with us from week 3 or 4 into every single future patch.
  • Make these timesystems generously accessible for alts.
  • Make sure that everytime u design these new systems u have the solution for whats coming prepared aswell and let it be there with us from week 3-4 into a patch.

My thoughts about the last years of wow

1 Like

It’s kinda 50/50 for me - the current systems look good on paper, but are very poorly executed. 2 main things which I (and possibly others) would like to see…

Make covenants cosmetic only - allow players to swap covenant easily, even at some form of currency cost.

Separate valour upgrades from the KSM achievement, which is how they should have done it.

It has been discussed so many times … So I will just say every wow players want pineapple on pizza.

2 Likes

Housing
We need housing
:house:

2 Likes