When will the potato servers be replaced?

Nothing is going to be replaced, that would be unnecesary investment. Bli€€ard does not invest unnecesary money. Goal is for the game to only generate cash, not requiring something back.

2 Likes

Its not really the servers but rather the problem with the core of the game the engine is old its been old for well over decade and the lag problems have been here from the very start.

They do have servers for our every day usage, they only use virtual servers on big predictable events such as expansion launches

1 Like

Less characters will always yeild better performance, the issue is when the number of players on the same shard grows too big.

If you look at my example:

5 players = 25 “work”
100players = 10000 work
101players = 10201 work <- notice how this one additional player caused a tremendus jump of 201 work… this single player add requires 8x times the data 5 players would.

And this “issue” cannot be solved.

The only thing that can be done is to reduce the size of each data transfer, which will limit our character complexity as a consequence.

The solution in my opinion is to ignore certain “unneccesary” data when the player count in a given spot gets too big.

Example of data that can be stripped:

When you render a player you need:
Their xyz location
Their xy body facing vector (no z, body cant face up)
Their xyz head facing vector <- (perfect example of data bloat that can be stripped)
Their apperence etc etc.

So basically more players => less and less character complexity untill we’re at the bare bones of whats actually required to interact in the world

I wouldnt be surprised if BFA requires 5x the data a classic player would.

1 Like

with all rng procs of gear and classes we have now(espcially with corruption)
i think its way more then 5times Id say is like 10times atleast nowadays(thanks to corruption)
Also stuff is much more HD then in classic.

How about removing all the unnecessary RNG shyte? Oh wait. That has been wanted since WoD. Since BiS PvP Gear was random dropped. Since Warforging was a thing. Since titanforging and additional sockets and all that.

And since BFA extremely with wild buffs randomly proccing, positic corruption randomly proccing, negative corruption effects on yourself randomly proccing if you have corruption stuff, even class mechanics are mostly random.

Let’s not even mention the loot-lotto when you kill a boss or open a chest.

Rng, rng, rng, rng, rng, rng, rng, rng…

Argh!

2 Likes

I can assure you that the problem has nothing to do with you mate… I live in London, playing on 215mbps connection and even though it shows me 18ms in Uldum/ Vale of eternal blossom, my abilities have 5 sec delay…

Same. 250mbps 30ish ms. Dc issues and serious lag especially in the capitals.

1 Like

In a way it’s kind of funny.

They literally added so much RNG to BfA that even the servers can’t cope with the number of dice rolls necessary anymore.

Let’s hope they listen the feedback they are getting from their servers more than they listen to it from their players.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.