Where are the ducks? šŸ¦†

@Tifa: I have not been everywhere nor looked through all mobs. Do we have swans, peacocks, hippopotamus, dolphins, other whales than orcas?

Whereā€™s the Frogducks?!

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit confused. What does Disney have to do with this?

2 Likes

Hippoā€™s yep in wod, whales yep in cata

Dolphins, swans and peacocks not sureā€¦maybe the BE mount qualifies as one of these?

We donā€™t have swans, we have peacocks, we have dolphins, we have hippos and we donā€™t have whales.

1 Like

Dolphins in BfA. You even get a druid dolphin water travel form. Peacocks as Battle Pet in WoD.

1 Like

Thanks too for this. Itā€™ll be preying on my mind all day ā€¦

2 Likes

There is a huge whale boss in cata

1 Like

@Namr, Tifa, Gatherix: Thank you all, seems I have some areas to explore still. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a whale shark, not a whale. Whale shark is a fish.

1 Like

Well itā€™s whale like which is close enough! There is only elekks and mammoths as elephants also besides the battle pets :rofl:

QUACK

1 Like

You read stormlight archiveā€¦i love the booksā€¦and so love you!

This is just loose speculation as Iā€™ve heard it over the years, but some companies obviously donā€™t want to be too closely associated with other companies. Either because they fear legal repercussions (copyright claims for example), or because they donā€™t want to square up against the competition (imagine if Blizzard introduced a duck race in WoW, youā€™d likely have to scroll pretty far on Google before you got past all the Disney duck characters and saw anything by Blizzard), or because they donā€™t envision their company having a certain profile (toy company banning all representation of military and war, for example, to be family-friendly).

And for Blizzard, if I were to wager a vague and uninformed guess, Iā€™d say that they donā€™t want to allow the possibility of eventually ending up in a position where they face legal action from Disney. So internally they probably have some policies about what canā€™t be shown in their games (child nudity, ducks, etc.).

But itā€™s just a guess, though Iā€™m leaning toward it myself, that it is a legal-minded policy, because it applies to all Blizzard games ā€“ not just WoW. No ducks, ever.

1 Like

I understand, but wouldnā€™t that only be an issue if theyā€™d implement a duck race? Surely putting ducks as wild critters wouldnā€™t really be an issue?

Besides, WB has Duffy Duck, so itā€™s not like Disney has a monopoly on duck characters.

1 Like

Well thereā€™s probably a slippery slope they want to avoid entirely.

Take Warcraft III.

Blizzard have made a bunch of critters for the game and they need another one for the sake of variety.
Some artist takes half the body of a Gnoll and turns it into a weird frog-like thing and calls it a Murloc. Easy.

Fast-forward 20 years and Murlocs are an iconic part of World of Warcraft and a highly represented profile thatā€™s closely associated with the entire franchise.

Blizzard probably donā€™t want to create the possibility of that happening with something where they donā€™t want it to happen. And if you take a quick pulse on this forum alone, then people would definitely build excitement and hype if a duck was to be introduced to the game. More wants more, like with Murlocs.
So itā€™s easier to just not go down that path entirely, because it might be slippery and you donā€™t know where you end up.

Yeah, and Warner Brothers and Disney competed fiercely against each other for decades. I suspect thatā€™s not the position Blizzard wants to put themselves in.

1 Like

Ducks like ponds, in vanilla, putting ducks into a pond wouldā€™ve resulted in a coding mess so they avoided it.

This is the type of Ducks that we might get in Azeroth

4 Likes