Where Are the Strong Male Figures in the Latest Expansion?

Clearly I’m referring to the players side of the NPC’s not the villians in the story. For example, they have before acknowledge the failings of the Male NPC’s Varians had dialogue before where he talks about himself being too quick to angry and violence. Thrall has covered his failings. The female NPC’s don’t fail, other people made them do it, or other things happened there’s never any accountability for their behaviour. Sylvannas is a great example of this, instead of doing a story of realising all the horrors she committed willingly. Realising in all her hatred of Arthas, she ended up becoming just like him. What she did to Anduin being functionally the same as what Arthas did to her, she then has to live with this, find a way through it. But instead they said, oooopsie her soul was in two that was evil Slyvannas not good Sylvannas, now good Sylvannas is doing a redemption arc on behalf of bad Sylvannas because that’s just how good new Slyvannas is.

All up for interpretation. I didn’t get those vibes.
What I did get was a bit of ‘vengeance driven Tyrande 2.0’, which is a little ‘meh’, but hopefully the payoff will be good for that repeat story arc.

No, probably not. Part of that is because they’re trying to do actual stories now and not ‘hey look, remember this guy from the RTS games; let’s fight him now’.
So they’re trying to do better narratives. And imo in TWW they’ve succeeded. I enjoyed the whole story experience a lot; not everything, but more than ‘usual’ in the last … mmmh… 6-7 years.

Yeah they do.

• Jaina’s actions after the bombing.
  • Jaina’s issues with her mother.
  • Jaina’s mother was very flawed.
  • Tyrande went vengeance crazy and made mistakes.
  • Sylvanas; her whole arc is basically her making mistake after mistake
  • Faerin tells Anduin about the mistakes she made and how she paid the price for them (losing her eye and arm)

And there’s a boatload of other examples.
It feels like you’re ignoring facts on purpose.

1 Like

You’re contradicting yourself here. Even though I’m not at all a fan of the Shadowlands story, first of all, the “restored” Sylvanas does see the deeds of Banshee Sylvanas as her own:

Back then, even Steve Danuser stated that this was not a corrupted or mind-controlled Sylvanas, but just a version of what she had become. I agree that the story(telling) wasn’t outstanding, but… getting a guilty conscience about what you’ve done is necessary for admitting and owning up to it in the first place. Sylvanas has admitted her failures, just as Thrall and Varian did in your examples.

Because for him, it’s probably not about a fair comparison, but about the narrative that Blizzard joined the “woke DEI storytelling” trend. I don’t deny that this trend exists and that can be quite annoying. But I find it ridiculous that some people start to scream “OMG WOKE DEI BS!!!” as soon as there are non-white or non-male protagonists involved. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

And yet any of there mistakes are almost immediately brushed under the table, they’re never held to their mistakes in the overall narrative. Remember when Jaina tried to Genocide the Orcs???

No it’s because as I pointed out before, diversity when done well is good, diversity when done poorly is awful.

When did that happen? :open_mouth:

Some of that is true, but definitely not all of them.
But that wasn’t the point. You claimed female NPCs aren’t flawed, but they are.

Just admit that your claim was wrong, instead of trying to move the goalposts.

Fine, let’s see:
Jaina’s actions after the bombing
She intended to pay blood with blood, after Garrosh dropped a bomb on her new home.
After she had already sacrificed her brother and her father for the Horde.

Thrall kept her from making a huge mistake. No action, no consequence.

Jaina’s issues with her mother. Jaina’s mother was very flawed.
These issues shattered their family. Consequence enough? Dealing with it was Jaina’s entire story in BfA.

She almost died because of it. Consequence enough?

And now she’s in literall hell because of it.

What else is there to say? She has paid the price.

And what is “well done diversity”? Or let me rephrase:
How are Faerin’s sex or skin color relevant for the story? The only thing that matters (to a degree) in her story with Anduin is her disability.

It’s not like she’s talking to him about “how it’s hard to be a half-elven black woman with a disability in a society of warmongering men”, like you would see in other games / shows. Her only real power is the faith in the individual - which is exactly what Anduin needed to hear.

3 Likes

Attempted Genocide… It’s ok guys she didn’t actually drown every man woman and child, she just nearly drowned every man woman and child. And then we’re just all cool with that.

I did, Sailor Moon is awesome. The german intro for the original series is also easily the best anime intro ever.

I answered this much much earlier in the thread.

The example I gave on good and bad, was on race not gender but it functions the same.

Black panther: Great movie incredibly well recieved. 99% of the cast black, film set in an african country that never integrated with the rest of the world so completely makes sense would be really odd if a bunch of gingers were walking around. The story was the classic heroes journey told from a fantasy version of cultures that we have never really seen in superhero movies.

Little Mermaid: They told the same white european story, but put a black girl in it. It’s the writing equivalent of black face. If you wanted to tell a mermaid story and wanted a black actress to be the mermaid, why not maybe tell one of the many many African fairy tales, instead of telling a european story with black actors.

Same thing applies to female characters, if you wanted to add a female character to say, the fellowship in lord of the rings.

You could add Éowyn, she’s a good fighter, she knows horses which although the others know how to ride, they’re not a skilled as her, this is a unique skillset to her, making her bring something new to the table. Her development is different to the other characters development so it doesn’t replicate or replace anyone elses journey.

What you don’t do is what bliz do, with characters. Which is kill of Aragon and replace him with Arajen, she’s Aragon but way better because they inject a bunch of stuff into the plot about how Aragon actually was stupid and made tons of mistakes.

something something women warfare something something.

as for skin color, who knows, apparently black people don’t exist irl, all just a dei woke inclusion into the game, right ?

goodness knows that humans are not entierly 1to1 replicas of eachother.

:roll_eyes:

I fixed that for you.

Once again: When is Faerin’s race / gender relevant in the TWW story?
If it isn’t, your argument just doesn’t work. She could also be a white guy with one leg. Or a blind dwarf.

She was stopped for a reason; no it wasn’t ‘all cool’.

You’re really grasping at straws here, man.
You’re now claiming ‘intent’ is the same as ‘actual action being taken’.

1 Like

Wait for Illidan and Sargeras to make comeback in The Last Titan. Let girls play heroines until that day.

How is this discussion still going on? Im the strong male figure! LOOK AT ME :sweat_smile:

Hmm, kinda small. :pinching_hand:

Now if you were a Horde race… Then yes, but not very strong cuz short. >:)

No its not…NO ITS NOT! Its how you use it…

Not… that kind of small, tiny, a short king.

Come back when you’re taller. :dracthyr_comfy_black:

And my reply then still applies:

Your first example is an african prince/king. Of course he’s going to be black. His heritage in this case MATTERS.

A mermaid is a fictional creature. It doesn’t exist. It’s not a human.
So it doesn’t matter what skin colour such a character has; so in the movie she had brown skin and red hair.

And the movie was good. I enjoyed it.
So that wasn’t an example of bad diversity at all.

1 Like