Why are people putting up crafting orders that pay less than the mats cost?

Doesn’t make any sense to expect crafters to provide the mats when the commission doesn’t even cover the costs of the mats.

3 Likes

Because they can.

Its a scam blizzard have allowed in the game, despite plenty of warning about it.

however you do get a pop up to warn you before you craft it.

But all this change will do is stop people from making public crafts, because they’ll lose trust.

13 Likes

Kinda dumb.

Guess I’m gonna have to keep logging alts to get my work order weekly instead of just crafting stuff for people because I’m not about to lose that much money from filling them, lmao.

4 Likes

The best one I saw today was an profession tool where they hadn’t even provided the mettle or any other mats and the tip was 20g. I had a little chuckle about it.

2 Likes

Because they are either trying to scam you actively or gullible about production costs.

This is entirely on Blizzard for not adding the option to filter out crafting orders where the mats aren’t provided

5 Likes

As people said, because they can. And some crafters are desperate to get skills up.

It is a demand and supply, market economy.

you get these ‘smartasses’ even in private orders
there was this guy who wanted to craft the leather pvp helm however he wanted me to craft the infurious leather for him
so he spammed me with like 20 work orders for the leather
i noticed that every second or third one was sent without mats meaning that i’ll be using mine

fortunately i did not fall for it
but others might

2 Likes

weren’t professions always like that ?
you buy the mats, craft something, hope to make money, take it to the AH, booom, youre losing a buncha moneys…it was always like that, except tiny amount of items.

2 Likes

They are either clueless or looking for desperate crafters, or both.

They need to revert this decision immediately for public work orders. Either that or they need to implement another system whereby the public work order system feeds off the AH and calculates the average cost of the matts and enforces the cheapest value combined as the minimum tip.

Then again I just move along and ignore those request on the public work order system, but it does become tedious clicking through the hundreds. The ones with 1c or 1s I add to my ignore list. I just do not want to ever interact with them on the profession system or public trade chat.

As far as I can understand without mettle you won’t be able to request a work order. Had someone whisper me to recraft them a neck but is new to the game and had done none of the profession weeklies. He then complained as he could not place the work order due to not having the 5 mettle.

1 Like

This is from my alt, the mettle shown in the picture is the amount of mettle he has on him. So yes whoever made the order didn’t even add the mettle to the order.

https://imgur.com/a/EyRIN7m

3 Likes

Just happened to me now too. They changed the fact that you can now give your mettle away too in this patch update. Legit a stupid decision that really needs a revert or scammers will abuse this.

To this point, filling public orders has required very little consideration, particularly if there aren’t many, because it’s basically free gold for a click. With the introduction of variations in reagents, the choice of whether to fill an order or not will hopefully become more interesting, where crafters are weighing costs of reagents and skill gains against potential profits or losses from filling the order.

Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuh.

“become more interesting”? How? It’s basically just a maths issue.

1 Like

Just found out about this addon on curseforge called publicordersreagnetscolumn. Let you check which orders have all the mats and which dont. You can even tick a box to weed them out and hide them so you don’t get scammed.

wow/addons/publicordersreagentscolumn

It’s probably also annoying because AFAIU we need an addon (Auctionator IIRC) to see an estimated mats value listed, so whenever someone asks for a craft and doesn’t provide all the mats, the crafter would have to check in the AH or trust the latest addon scan to know whether it is profitable.

I understand why the option to leave out mats exists, though. A public order has no guarantee of being fulfilled, so it is not reasonable to expect someone to buy frickin’ expensive mats to put them in an order and then not know whether someone will fulfill it.

I can tell you that for engineering it used to be very hard to find public orders, and I’m sure many others did like me and pounced on them for any resourcefulness reward we could get. The availability of orders was the restricting factor, not the daily craft limit.

Now there are people we could diplomatically describe as… hopeful, posting public orders for what we could not as diplomatically describe as Ripping Yourself Off For Dummies, and nobody’s touching them.

Bless you.

that’s the answer here. Farm easy money from stupid people.

always check crafting cost!

Just don’t fulfil the orders. For the weekly quests I just use my alts, apart from my scribe.

1 Like

Yes, man, I can’t even level my professions past 60, because the crafting order system doesn’t work at all

Blizzard thinks their adult playerbase full of academics and graduates is being entertained by simple cost arithmetics lmao What does that even mean “more interesting” by adding this weird non-sense change.