Why did Thrall allow the blood elves into the horde?

I’ve been reading up on the lore regarding Zul’jin and the forest trolls. Considering Orgrim struck a deal with Zul’jin that the Amani would join the Horde in return for destroying Quel’thalas and returning control of the land to the trolls, why would Thrall find it acceptable to allow the blood elves into the Horde in TBC? I understand that the Amani broke off from the Horde after Orgrim retreated from the siege of Quel’thalas (arguably breaking his deal with Zul’jin), but even so it seems odd that Thrall would choose to side with the elves. Even if the Amani were technically a neutral faction, was it not a rather major breach of honor for him to ally with the Amani’s sworn enemies?

also Zul’jin did nothing wrong fite me irl

6 Likes

Because Sylvanas advocated for them, and Thrall pitied the sorry state those elves were left in.

Edit: And what Dainara added.

Also, Zuljin and the Amani broke away from the Horde under Doomhammer, late during the Second war, because he didn’t share Orgrims interest in pushing into human kingdoms or go beyond Quelthalas forests.
This schism widened after the defeat, and subsequent “every man for himself” approach, the various surviving Horde segments had.

Culturally, the Amani were rather isolationists. And let most events slip for as long as they didn’t affect their land portion.
The inclusion of the Blood elves into the Horde came to pass before they had any say on it, and it happening, further cemented the ideological breach between them and the Hordes interests.

Had things gone differently, we may have had a different set of allies. But as they are present, this was the reason for it.

Opinions and bias aside.

5 Likes

Also, lore follows gameplay. Having only “monstrous” races made it very unappealing for some people to play Horde, even if their friends were there. Barbie girls in the Horde mitigated that problem. Thrall just had to find a reason to do it.

8 Likes

AHUUUM! As a proud Darkspear I would have thought you’d recognize the crimes that abominable tribe committed against yours in Eversong even before the Blood Elves formally joined the Horde. Poor Ven’Jashi is rolling in his grave.

RP mode off

You’re right about Sylvanas (Blessings upon her name) but I would add that the information the Blood Elven leaders possessed pertaining to the whereabouts of the Mag’har Orcs on Outland was crucial in convincing Thrall.
I also object to the suggestion that he simply took pity on them considering that one of the conditions he set out before he would consider their request was that the Elves first prove their worth and clear up their backyard of any Scourge activity.

2 Likes

I may be mixing stuff, but I thought this bit of information came from Nazgrels expedition.

But yeah, those are still relevant factors to add to the Blood elf plea.
Even if I still think that Thralls soft spot for the mistreated and the needy, played a big role.

1 Like
  1. They were desperate for help during that time and the Horde, unlike the Alliance during the Scourge invasion, actually helped them.

2. Thrall wanted to cut ties with the Old Horde’s past. Any deals with the Amani were of no relevance for him.

3. Gameplay reasons. The Amani had to be the enemy in the best 10 man raid ever.

2 Likes

I disagree with the “had” of this sentence.

Regarding the rest, I’ll just add that the distancing with the Amani was something mutual. It wasn’t as if the Horde just turned their back towards them.

1 Like

Also Cairne and Thrall felt the Horde had need of the Blood Knights, though I’m not sure if they knew the source of their power

Some of the answers have been touched upon here, but I will try to expand on them.

1. The Amani and Horde had already fallen out, there was no tie there.
  2. Getting the Blood Elves on side, rather than forcing them to the Alliance, would mean that the Horde had undisputed control of the North (of Eastern Kingdoms), as opposed to a tenuous situation where the Forsaken would be trapped between two potentially hostile peoples, never a good situation to be in.
  3. The Alliance had started messing with the Blood Elves, who had already suffered, perhaps Thrall saw something of the Horde’s own plight in their situation.
  4. The Blood Elves had just tidied up their back yard of Scourge (A Fact Blizz seems to forget whenever Sylvanas needs to go back to her ‘spooky’ roots, but then that is just Sylvanas fanservice) and killed the Archtraitor Dark’han Drathir, who had given Arthas immeasurable power, something that was a threat to the world Entire.
  5. Blood Knights, whilst still heavily mistrusted by Thrall and Cairne, (and also Lor’themar, which is ironic given that their matriarch is his low key gf) did provide something the Horde did not have. Paladins, Heavy Cavalry. No one can argue that Kodo’s aren’t Heavy, but Heavy Cavalry means armed and armoured. The Blood Knights offered that.
    6.Sylvanas vouched for them.
  6. It was indeed Lor’themar, not Nazgrel, who held the information that the Mag’har yet existed on Outlands, That was referred to obliquely in the starting Blood Elf quest chain. That was his major bargaining chip, That and Dark’han Drathir’s destruction.
  7. Perhaps more importantly, WHy -Wouldn’t Thrall have let them in?
4 Likes

Got the source for that? Out of curiosity I looked this bit up but the only quest I found was indeed the one Nazgrel gave after dealing with the assassin that led to the Maghar in Hellfire.

I know of a letter but, does it come chronologically after or before said quest?

1 Like

The official answer was because they had Paladins and the Forsaken vouched for them.

The Blood Elf information comes first, We know this because until the Player character delivers the letter from Lor’themar and endorsement from Sylvanas, the Blood Elves still show as ‘Neutral’ to the Horde, and are not part of the Horde, By the time we -get- to Outlands, the Blood Elves there are already in the Horde. Falcon Watch being the most famous example.

1 Like

They got that information from Kael’thas actually. To have more standing ground during the negotiation.

1. Extra. Even for troll standards the Amani are a bunch of savage bastards who love to attack almost everyone. Including other trolls. They are props the most hated tribe out there ingame story wise.

According to chronicle 3, Sylvannas urged the Horde to ally with the Blood elves and:

Despite the elves’ history of bitter warfare with the orcs, Lor’themar was receptive to the idea. He knew this Horde was different than the one that had ravaged Quel’Thalas in years past. He was also painfully aware that time was running out for his kingdom and his prince. Thrall and Cairne saw great promise in the blood elves. The people of Quel’Thalas had proved their courage and resolve while fighting to protect their kingdom from outside threats like the Scourge. Thrall and Cairne believed that the Horde and the blood elves needed each other to survive the days ahead. They extended the hand of peace to Lor’themar, and he accepted. This alliance benefited both sides. While the blood elves now had allies to call on, the Horde gained another strategic foothold in the Eastern Kingdoms. Thrall and Cairne also saw helping the blood elves as an act of honor. Much like the other races of the Horde, they were a people on the verge of extinction. Enemies lurked on all sides. Constant war and addiction to magic had chipped away at their pride and once-glorious culture. Thrall and Cairne believed they could help the blood elves find peace.

3 Likes

The Great Green Pickle simply wanted to expand the Green Pickle Empire so they have a tighter grip on the Eastern Kingdoms and his forsaken goons can ruin the land more efficiently. Betraying the Horde’s old allies, the amani was just a nice bonus to him. He’s more evil than Sylvanas.

Thrall hates the Amani. You can see him remark about them with disgust in Warcraft 3 during ‘Chasing Visions’.

“Forest trolls! I still can’t believe they were ever a part of the Horde.” is the exact quote.

1 Like

That’s because arrogance is another of The Great Green Pickle’s vices. He considers trolls lower and only feigned liking them when his demonic army crossed the Great Sea because otherwise they wouldn’t make it. Still, his evil was made apparent when he made Garrosh warchief and manipulated Vol’jin into staying with the Horde - just so his people would be genocided.

1 Like

Ultimately it’s because at the time the blood elves had a strong boot in Outland and could help the orcs re-unite with the Mag’har, Alternatively the Horde could have sided with the Amani and the orcs wouldn’t have managed to get reunited with the Mag’har as pretty much all of Outland would then be hostile to the Horde.

Also they brought some of the best mages and they sorted their own backyard out and were really good paladins and worse cool leather jackets and Thrall wanted one.

Oh yes, poor Ven’jashi and his fellow villagers, who travelled all the way from Durotar to set up camp right next to their alleged “mortal enemies”.
This quest is a joke.

this.

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. Horde community was pretty much dead pre TBC announcement. Ain’t Blizzard’s fault people are so hpynotized by the Tolkien esque of good guys races still.

He did everything wrong.

That quest is awesome. It finally shows how vile and untrustworthy the Amani have always been.

2 Likes