Why do people think they're entitled to gear?

We did siege of boralus +5 and this mage asks if I need ring that dropped for me. After I didn’t give him the ring he messages me:

“Hey I can see you gave ring to warrior and dont let us roll for it. You are ****** dum player I hope you die from cancer soon and if you got some kids I hope get cancer to die in you arms”

Why do people think they’re entitled to receive gear others get as drops just because they participated in the dungeon? It’s my loot, I give it to whoever I want to, keep it or even sell it if I want to.

5 Likes

Atleast give a reply I suppose. No people aren’t obligated to gear at all, but giving them honesty is better than blanking them LFG players or not, its the way to be the better person :slight_smile:

As for the mentality, I guess you can thank the old system prior to personal loot where everything was rolled for.

6 Likes

well, keeping it or selling is better than trading it to someone without having to make a fair winner for it imo, but hey its yours do whatever u want

2 Likes

I’ve found its a small minority of people that actually react like this, however sometimes its because they’ve been ignored when they’ve asked if you need the item or not.

Did you tell the mage that you were giving the ring to the warrior? If you just ignored them then they’re obviously going to feel annoyed, although if it was one of those addons that automatically asks I can understand why you would ignore it as those are annoying.

Saying stuff about Cancer and dying over something in a game is completely ignorant for someone to do, but often these people just want to provoke a reaction and they certainly got one with this thread being created. I wouldn’t waste any more energy thinking about it.

3 Likes

It’s not about being entitled to gear.

It’s about being a terrible human being or whatever creature that thing was who responded like that.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the basic level of being decent.

18 Likes

Ive heard some people saying: Curses are like donkeys, they run away and then return to their masters.

Dont pay attention, just pass him a report+ignore and laugh at this nerd raging at you for a piece of loot…

4 Likes

Just forget about it and move on. Human beings sometimes tend to act stupid. Add him/her to your ignore list and go to the next dungeon.

Why everyone have to die with cancer? There are other disease to curse…

5 Likes

You are allowed to do whatever you want with it, but there’s a big ? over whether you should or not. You may not need a piece of gear, but it could be a big upgrade for someone else. Think back to a time where someone let you roll on some gear and you won, or just straight up gave it to you.

Now think of a time when someone gets a trinket that you can SEE they already have a better version of equipped - and you whisper them, and they just ignore you.

Loot etiquette is a thing. You don’t have to abide by it, but I hope you hold yourself to your own standards the next time you miss a chance at loot, perhaps for as little a reason as they can’t be bothered to trade it. The game is always more enjoyable when someone gets something out of it.

4 Likes

It’s the most common one that often leads to your death.

On topic; Open communication sometimes helps. If I get asked about an item i just tell the person what I will do with it. Gave it to a friend, need it by myself or in case of azerite items for the currency. Most people accept your answer since it’s your loot, the small percentage that doesn’t and act stupid will be put on ignore since I don’t wanna play with this kind of people.

1 Like

It’s why I don’t loot bosses in LFR. I want to keep things for transmog or disenchanting but people got very mad if you’re not willing to trade.

1 Like

OP,

just this. No need to make big deal out of it, most people I meet in PUGs are kind.

1 Like

Most people you meet on pugs are kind ok that sounds like a big lie unless you are living in a parallel universe that we don’t know exists in which case take us to a better place with you sir.

People feel entitled to gear because that’s what this game now revolves around. The measure of success is having the gear to show for it.

But you’re making a problem of the wrong thing here. The manner of his insult is the problem, not the reason for it. How socially inept, how emotionally barren, or how profoundly ignorant must one be to hurl that kind of insult at someone for bloody pixels?

I really do hope Blizz blocks this kind of miscreant for life. No tolerance for this kind of posture in any kind of game.
Ff-ing bastard should have some sense slapped into him. Regularly. Shock feedback from his keyboard would be fine as well.

5 Likes

They’re just cross because the loot system is a pile of rng rubbish. Probably done loads of dungeons with no drops. Not that I condone their behaviour.

Maybe I am dumb, but how could he see what you traded to the warrior?

I mean, he could inspect him, but the ring he had equipped could very well be from another run, and I suppose that if he tried to trade you and he got the “busy” message I guess it would favour his assumptions but… Yeah.

If he was on another server than you, you wouldn’t be able to trade it anyways, as far as I know.

Personally I wish I could share some of my /care for gear. I don’t give a rats as about that gear. It’s a tool, which you can get through various means and you all get those items in a fairly shorta mount of time. No reason to be salty that it didn’t come at the absolute first chance of it.

That guy is definitely wrong.

That being said, in general there is nothing wrong either in replying when someone asks for loot. It is never nice to be ignored.

As a side note, there was probably a good reason for you to give it to the warrior, so this could also be something you could have shared.

People this days think they are entitled to everything :smiley: so just move on :smiley:

3 Likes

Well I hope you reported that guy. Hopefully he gets a month long mute.

3 Likes

because they pay their 12 pounds, euros or whatever so they are entitled to have everything :smiley:

2 Likes