Why does the Roar of Sacrifice work on Combustion and Fire Blast?

What the thread title states. Who thought that it is a good idea to prevent a guaranteed crit ability (which is crucial to the spec and its ability to generate proc) from critting? Is this a bug or something?

Working as intended. It’s made to prevent crits for a short period.

3 Likes

And Fire Blast is also made to be a guaranteed critical strike!

But not against someone with the Roar buff!

2 Likes

Chaos Bolts still crit against people with Roar of Sacrifice, though…

Then chaos bolt is bugged.

4 Likes

Let me shed some light :slight_smile:

Combustion is a spell that merely increases your crit chance by 100%, which makes it guaranteed, but Roar of Sacrifice sets the critical value to 0.
In other words, the equation would be | (Critical Chance + 100%) * 0 |with the 100% being Combustion and times 0 being Roar of Sacrifice.

Chaos Bolt on the other hand, is set to always doing a critical strike no matter what happens. That critical strike, is essentially the base damage, which makes it appear as a critical, but in reality is just regular damage.
It would look like this | Critical Chance * 0 + ∞ | so you are blocking out the additional damage Chaos Bolt deals from crit chance, but it’ll still deal its “base” crit damage.

https://www.wowhead.com/spell=190319/combustion
https://www.wowhead.com/spell=53480/roar-of-sacrifice
https://www.wowhead.com/spell=116858/chaos-bolt
11 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I at least see where the odd results come from, after you brought in these numbers. There’s still one issue with all that, though.

Why doesn’t Fire Blast do the exact same thing? I don’t have the Skada logs from my games against survival hunter+resto druid as I reset the meter, but they definitely didn’t crit and the tooltip states that the spell always deals a critical strike instead of saying it increases my crit chance by X%.

It’s actually just the same.
Let’s for the sake of this example say that Fire blast and Chaos Bolt deal the same base damage. Each one dealing 40k on hit. Chaos Bolt gets a direct damage increase from crit chance, meaning 50% crit = 50% increased damage.
If you cast Fire Blast and Chaos Bolt 100 times, they will have dealt equal damage in an ideal scenario.
If you have 0% crit chance, the numbers that will appear are 40k regular for Fire Blast, and 40k critical strike from Chaos Bolt. Both are base damage values.

This doesn’t answer the question whatsoever, unless I am awfully misreading your reply. The way I see it is: both abilities are supposed a guaranteed crit. Even if they did deal the same damage in the end because chaos bolt’s modifiers do not apply when the aura is active, one of them still hits critically and the other does not. A crit for 40k and a non-crit for 40k definitely aren’t equal when you play a spec that generates its procs from critting.

Yes, you’ve basically said it yourself as well.
You need to look at the equations from before though.

Combustion: | (Critical Chance + 100%) * 0 |
Chaos Bolt: | Critical Chance * 0 + ∞ |

Roar of Sacrifice will multiply your crit chance by times zero, so regardless of how many buffs you use to buff your crit rate, like Combustion does, it will never be a critical strike.
Chaos Bolts adds an infinity as the final link, making it unaffected by whatever happens to your crit chance.

This way, Chaos Bolt’s base damage is a critical strike. Additional crit chance increases its damage by an equal % rate, which Roar of Sacrifice puts to 0, making it do base damage.
Chaos Bolt delivers a critical strike this way, but with no bonus damage.

Did I fail to communicate that I am currently speaking of the ability called Fire Blast (an instant, off-gcd spell that always crits) and not of combustion? The spell is supposed to be a guaranteed crit as well, not increase my crit chance by X.

My apologies, I’ve misunderstood. Thought we were talking Combustion due the title.

It should work the same way as Chaos Bolt then. My only explanation for that, would be that Fire Blast does not contain an infinity link in its equal, but rather just a +100% crit chance as if you were to have Combustion on.
It’s a bug and should be fixed.

1 Like

As I see you did not play wod. In wod holypallies had an ability on a 2 sec cast if I remember well which did alot of damage and also applied a debuff which made you unable to crit.
Counters like this exists for quite a good time but you did not seen them because you play a god class and you don’t have to deal with average specc problems :yum::yum:

2 Likes

Or maybe I just created my mage in 6.2.3 and didn’t get any serious about PvP when I first began playing the character and getting a better feel of both the mage class and the World of Warcraft itself… would be nice if you dropped the condescending tone. :slight_smile:

Sure. But tell me how can you hear something written.
There is no tone btw.

1 Like

Text to speech, of course!

Tone applies to written text as well.

1 Like

Allright i’ve seen everything.

A FMage One-Button Spammer who is upset cause his 2min CD 100%->0% Oneshot Burst cant crit against Hunters which play as they are supposed to because they would die otherwise.

What the F_ck.

5 Likes

Well there was no tone in first place, and in my mother language we refer to speech while we’re talking about tone. :slight_smile:

1 Like