Why doesn't Blizzard listen?

Yet shadow had ample and effective burst with the orb system, the only issue being you started at 0 on pull without some sort of setup. Dumping 5 orbs worth of Devouring plagues into a target was very high burst damage over the duration due to mind flay insanity.

Dot management hasn’t required focus since the removal of snapshotting in mists of Pandaria. Nor would I consider dot management a flaw with a dot spec. As far as GCD investment goes, dark void would fix that for shadow in BFA if shadow word pain actually did something relative to the rest of our damage kit, which it did in WoD.

What does this even mean. I can understand saying voidforms rotation is inherently punishing, though brain-dead simple, due to how insanity drain works. For shadow form though I’m seeing zero parallels at all that couldn’t just apply to every single other spec.

2 Likes

So just non sense.

The Fury Warrior is a whirling ball of damage. It has access to some extra damaging abilities through talents. These talents combined with other abilities create some good burst damage capability.

Recklessness allows for more Rampages, allowing for a burst window
Siegebreaker increases damage the target takes by 15% for 10 seconds (whirlwind can apply this to multiple targets)
Bladestorm is a reliable AoE burst cooldown when combined with Siegebreaker

The Unholy Death Knight does his damage by spreading diseases throughout multiple enemies. Their burst damage is determined mainly by cooldowns.

If necessary, Army of the Dead can be used when burst damage is required
Using Apocalypse when there are 4 stacks of Festering Wounds will summon an Army of the Dead ghoul per stack popped
Dark Transformation increases damage by your ghoul and gives it new abilities
Unholy Frenzy is a great cooldown and helps get more stacks of Festering Wounds on your target

The Retribution Paladin is a class that will burn you down with holy empowered weapon strikes. This class’s burst damage is from a combination of talents and abilities.

Avenging Wrath is your main burst cooldown as a Retribution Paladin
Hammer of Wrath should be taken as well for more burst damage near the end of fights
Wake of Ashes does good damage in a cone while maxing out your Holy Power

Havoc Demon Hunter has amazing cooldowns. Combined with some innate skills, the Havoc Demon Hunter has access to plenty of burst damage.

Metamorphosis increases the damage of your Chaos Strike and Blade Dance while granting leech and haste
Eye Beam blasts all enemies in front of you for guaranteed critical damage
The Demonic talent allows your Eye Beam to grant you a brief period of Metamorphosis
The Blind Fury talent increases Eye Beam ticks by 50% and generates 40 Fury every second

The Fire Mage is the best choice for burst damage in almost all scenarios. The mobility of a mage combined with the skills of a Fire Mage gives it access to the best burst damage available.

In some encounters, Rune of Power can be used to grant a 40% increase in damage for 10 seconds
Meteor can provide a little more initial damage followed by a burning area for its duration
Combustion is your best cooldown by guaranteeing critical strikes and increasing Mastery equal to 50% of your critical strike
Proper chaining of Rune of Power, Meteor, Fire Blast, and Pyroblast, while Combustion is active, creates an insane amount of burst damage for 10 seconds
1 Like

what are you on about? what are trying to explain i’m so confused.

1 Like

SP is not a burst DPS. Multi-target damage is decent.

Take this misguided video description, “Trying to make a dead class viable by making it as good as possible at something it’s terrible at, which is burst damage.” There is nothing wrong with SP DPS.

it had decent burst with orbs and DP. also shadowfiend used to give you orbs so it was considered a DPS CD.

we only spread SWP and VT, you can extend your dots by popping VF and it will also give you some sort of aoe burst through VE (but in my experience it’s so wonky and not consistent).

%90 of classes have a dot they can spread with good burst why is SP limited to one.

also, no one is necessarily complaining about the DPS but rather executing it is the problem.

1 Like

For people that are not SP’s.

Devouring Plague Consumes 3 Shadow Orbs to deal (264% of Spell power) Shadow damage and then an additional 100% of the initial damage over 6 sec. Heals the caster for 100% of damage done.

Priests can have a maximum of 3 Shadow Orbs at a time, or 5 once [Enhanced Shadow Orbs] has been acquired. Devouring Plague is a DoT that can be given to one target.

I’m very familiar with what DP is/did so?

DP is burst you deal huge amount of damage upfront then %100 of it over 6 seconds.

by the way Chaos bolt does %240 of spell damage and its the definition of a burst damage. So %265 of spell damage upfront is considered burst.

I’m still confused with what you’re trying to say

1 Like

It’s not burst. You have to create 3-5 orbs.

Shadow Orbs
Generated by Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death. Used to cast Devouring Plague and empower Psychic Horror.

It’s part of a rotation. You would need 3 mind blasts minimum just to be able to cast DP. So you would have to sit there and DPS until you had them. Also you would need to be in shadowform to max the dps return. Shadowform, increasing your spell damage dealt by 10%.

" Burst DPS " refers to damage dealt over a relatively short period of time. Not a million year long setup.

How is this relevant to the conversation.

You said shadow has never had burst damage. I disagreed because shadow has quite clearly had access to burst damage in the past. Not zero setup opener burst, and not cooldown related burst, but burst damage nonetheless.

Your raid leader told you to swap to an add, and you knew that add was coming so you didn’t spend your orbs early, you could absolutely destroy it.

1 Like

Who made you a judge of whats relevant. Thats very arrogant. You started this off topic nonsense.

And you’re the one who referenced shadow form whilst talking about setup.

Anyway. Bottom line from all of this is a spec does not need burst cooldowns to deal burst damage, and warlords shadow was an example of that. Could it have done with a few QoL tweaks to frontload that potential on pull? Sure, but it got the concept spot on.

1 Like

are you trolling ? because you either are new to this game or are trolling.

All builder-spender systems will require from you to build up your resources to spend them on the burst spender. it’s literally a fundamental system anyone who touched the game understands

so by your definition, there is no burst specs in the game because every spec needs to build up resources to spend them on their burst spender.

1 Like

Casting DP twice is not burst dps. It’s just continuing a rotation. DP and then three MB to be able to cast it again. One if your build allows you to have a maximum of 5. Then there is the fact you have to keep the rotation going, so that you go into and out of shadowform correctly. So you get the initial DP spell damage a second time and refresh the DP DoT.

That’s enough on other forum to get a 24 hour suspension. I am not going to talk to people that are not being civil and resort to name calling.

what the hell are you talking about?

umm how are you casting DP back to back? and we been over this DP is burst damage.

yep that’s how a builder spender system works. that how Destro Warlocks work. you build up shards to cast Chaos bolt. Chaos bolt is still considered Burst.

What? why would you get into and out of Shadowform? Shadowform is a toggle.

you are definitely trolling. Gonna put you on ignore bye

It’s part of a rotation, its not on demand. It’s also a DoT, which you have to keep up with pain and VT.

DP is not burst damage its part of the normal rotation. It’s one of three DoTs.

It’s part of the normal SP rotation. On its own its just a small amount of dps. You keep the three DoT’s up at all times. So the only real increase in DPS is casting for the damage you get up front. Overall its not a lot of damage.

Because I have to remember every little detail and class change from 2004. You’re the tool thats arguing SP is a burst class, just because DP had at one point an initial damage. I think I am safe with this one.

For people reading this, DP is a DoT. wowwiki_.fandom.com/wiki/DoT DoT’s are not burst damage. So basically all DoT’s had to have 100% uptime. So DP on ST had to have a 100% uptime.

This is what devouring plague was in wrath and cata, before that it was the undead specific priest racial, and after that it was something else entirely.

The time people are referring to in this post is Warlords, and to a lesser extent Mists of Pandaria, when devouring plague was not a 100% uptime maintenance dot. It was a 6 second duration dot, that costed 3 orbs, and came with an initial hit equal to 100% of the dots total damage. Added to that, it increased damage of mind flay by 100% for the 6 seconds it was up.

Added to the fact shadow’s base spell damage naturally just higher than other specs because it had no cooldowns, layering up all those generally strong base spells created real burst damage.

1 Like

Thats a DoT and no dot is burst. With the 6 second version I don’t think there was an initial damage, there are so many versions. lvl 60 was the 21 second version.

DoTs are not burst damage because you must wait the full duration to get the damage.

DD you can still get a DoT but most of the damage is after the cast time.

Burst is a lot of damage more or less instant. Or over a very short period. You chain a number together, then face a big fall off.

DoTs provide sustained DPS, without the “burst damage” of an equivalent [Direct Damage] attack. DD can be fireball even with the fact it has a DoT.

[Patch 6.2.2] Devouring Plague now deals 10% more damage. In PvP combat, Devouring Plague now deals 10% less damage.

[Patch 6.2.0] : Devouring Plague now deals 12% less damage.

[Patch 6.0.2] (14-October-2014): Devouring Plague now always costs 3 Shadow Orbs, and now heals the Priest for 100% of all damage it deals, instead of healing per tick.

Consumes 3 Shadow Orbs to deal x Shadow damage and then an additional 100% of the initial damage over 6 sec. Heals the caster for 100% of damage done.

Would call that a DoT as per the wiki. You have to wait 6 seconds for full effect.

How would that DoT stack against the current burst damage of say a fire mage?
Were proper chaining of Rune of Power, Meteor, Fire Blast, and Pyroblast, while Combustion is active, creates an insane amount of burst damage for 10 seconds.

Rune of Power
Places a Rune of Power on the ground for 10 sec which increases your spell damage by 40% while you stand within 8 yds.

Meteor
Calls down a meteor which lands at the target location after 3 sec, dealing (260% of Spell power) Fire damage, split evenly between all targets within 8 yards, and burns the ground, dealing [8 * (8.25% of Spell power)] Fire damage over 8.5 sec to all enemies in the area.

Fire Blast
Blasts the enemy for (72% of Spell power) Fire damage.

Pyroblast
Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes (123.9% of Spell power) Fire damage.
Deals an additional (18.6% of Spell power) Fire damage over 6 sec.

Combustion
Engulfs you in flames for 10 sec, increasing your spells’ critical strike chance by 100% and granting you Mastery equal to 50% your Critical Strike stat. Castable while casting other spells.

The six second version was 100% damage, then 100% again over 6 seconds.

Except combustion creates damage by making a massive ignite, which is a dot, and that dot also then ticks for a while after combustion ends for a massive amount of damage.

You could not burst as shadow from 0 shadow orbs. We have established that, I have said that, I have even said it could be considered a problem. However, we could still burst, the spec had the capacity to put out significantly higher than its average single target dps into a specific target for a period of 10-12 seconds.

Why are you linking a PvP 1 shot montage? I’m just confused at this point.

1 Like