Why is M+ key depletion still a thing?

So you have an issue with me “hiding behind an alt” when you’re clearly doing the same, just like in one of your posts you told one of the posters that he should be more respectful when replying to others and he “should work on his communication skills” and yet yours aren’t any better.

Check your old posts and how much you used to complain about the game, loot, and certain game designs, and now all of a sudden you’re Mr. righteous, defender of blizzard , trying to tear down any person complaining about THE SAME topics you complained about in the past.

This makes me come to one of two conclusions, hypocrisy at it’s best, or account bought by a shill.

Now i have to get to work so have a good day.

1 Like

I already responded to this in another thread, yet I think people who are against it will never accept the reasoning. And that’s fine, people have different ideas of how the game should be played. For me:

• Key depletion prevents spamming the dungeon until you get a carry group, and hence also prevents inflated rio scores where you can’t tell apart if a person earned their score or was carried
  • Key depletion adds a consequence which motivates the key owner to make the best group possible, hence increasing the likelihood that the key will be timed, which is very important for pugs
  • Key depletion reduces the chance the group will fall apart (= prevents the leader from bailing the group as soon as it doesn’t go the way he thinks should go)

Personally, I think without depletion pugging would become impossible due to not being able to get/make a good group anymore, and groups would fall apart far faster in non-perfect runs.

Also, the fact that m+ is a unique PVE challenge mode in the game makes it incomparable to raiding and regular dungeons. People should think of the key as “one try of a specific dungeon level”. The game doesn’t want to give you infinite tries, that’s why it’s a challenge. You have a positive consequence if you time (key gets increased +1) and a negative if you fail (key gets depleted by -1). Sounds pretty fair to me.

Things change over 10 years, more news as we get it. Would you like fries with that?

Using this design, a player getting a +14 key without the skills or the time to complete it will not have any way of reducing the level of his key.

The current design puts in the hands of a player a key that is close to his capabilities.

I am also fine with most of the key-system, allthough i sometimes consider a random key of the same level when you miss the timer on a small margin as an option. And it would be nice to be able to reroll the key to another dungeon once a week or so.

M+ pugging is already a nightmare and group fall a part in non-perfect runs. Do have you some good arguments?

Since when have infinite retry remove challenge from a content? M+ have already a very flexible view on failing (failing timer still give you loot, full wipe don’t stop the dungeon).

You have no counter-argument, you just dismissed everything I said. Your answer is not worth responding to.

I have already answer this on others threads, you two first arguments are just non issue for me:

1. That bad? And really worst that what we have now? With boosting everywhere.
  2. That not bad actually, people less picky on their team mate is a good thing for pugging.
  3. That just made one people more able to screw a run.

On the other side, non depletion will permit people to retry a key at will which is good for learning.

We already had this discussion and you’re right, I disagree.
I’ll summarize my objections to your 3 points for the others:

• Key depletion prevents spamming the dungeon until you get a carry group, and hence also prevents inflated rio scores where you can’t tell apart if a person earned their score or was carried

It prevents spamming the dungeon, only to some degree. The dude can find another key for example. But I’ll comment on this at the end of this reply, because I think that, in blizzard’s viewpoint, this is the core of the issue. But not for the reason you gave here.

“Inflated RIO scores where you can’t tell apart if a person earned their score or got carried”: this one doesn’t hold. Because there’s a bound on the keystone rank where someone can be carried. At some point, everyone needs to do its best and cannot simply be a dead weight.

• Key depletion adds a consequence which motivates the key owner to make the best group possible, hence increasing the likelihood that the key will be timed, which is very important for pugs

“Make the best group possible”, how do you measure that ? I’m not asking for a scientific answer with a mathematical proof here. I’m just asking “what the average players will do ?”. They’ll follow the meta even more. Is that a thing we really want ?
Also, this consequence adds a lot of toxicity and other side problems like being forced to stop playing due to an RL issue, for example.
Some players have pretty unstable connections, keystone which does not deplete would no longer be a “oh… too bad…” moment for them.

• Key depletion reduces the chance the group will fall apart (= prevents the leader from bailing the group as soon as it doesn’t go the way he thinks should go)

This one, I must admit that I don’t see why anyone would behave like this. If the key doesn’t deplete, we can try new experiments, new routes and be chill about it. So it’s very much the opposite to me.

back to the very first argument.

• Key depletion prevents spamming the dungeon until you get a carry group

I removed the part that has no value in Blizzard’s eye (in my opinion).
So… Why would Blizzard prefer that players not repeat the dungeons?
I’m not taking boosts or carries in account here:
If we had the possibility to immediately repeat a dungeon on the same level immediately, over and over, until we make it, the learning curve of that dungeon on that key level would be much easier on us.
Basically, what happens right now is that we fail a dungeon, and the key deplete, we can retry it lower level, but that doesn’t mean we fixed the issues we had with the higher level. In order to do that, we need to find another key for that dungeon, on that level. And that can take some time. So, we can slowly forget the small details that would help us have a smooth run.
In the end, it increases the lifetime of that dungeon from a learning point of view, you know?

Remember what Raph Koster said about learning in his essay “A Theory of Fun”. Basically, according to him, while you still have things to learn about a game, the game is fun.

You can agree or disagree with Raph Koster. I personnally only partially agree with him. But considering the weight of this dude in the mmo industry, it’s very likely that his ideas are more or less followed in every mmo, including world of warcraft.

Now, it’s also common knowledge, I think, that Blizzard is willing to extend the life expectancy of WoW and every of its expacs/patches. They are right to do so. How they do it is what can be the problem sometimes.
So, how’s a good way to increase the life expectancy of M+ ? Why players participate in M+ ? Loot and fun. So… They:

• Reduce loot.
  • Reduce capacity of players to learn, or, in other words, increase the amount of time and effort required to master a M+ keystone.

It’s very likely that’s the real reason why depleted keystones are a thing.

M+ is a competitive game mode though, especially with the introduction of RaiderIO I almost see it as the PvE equivalent to Ranked PvP.

As others have stated having that risk/reward mentality is healthy in games as it makes people improve themselves.

If key depletes were removed there needs to be some type of “MMR” to replace it so people who want to push the competitive side have something to aim for. Or RIO is redone so people lose points depending if they fail a key.

You mainly talk about pugs however imagine a guild group does this? For example purposely mistiming keys so they can infinitely farm a BIS item on a +14 without worry of it changing?

Can’t compare raids to it really as all difficulties are open to everyone from the start, there is no prerequisite levels you have to complete?

1 Like

MMR and RIO are different beasts though, because PvP and M+ are different.
In PvP, the ranking system reflect the fact that you’re fighting against other players. So, the winner earn points, while the looser lose some. In a way very similar to the ELO system used in chess (which is an issue btw, because ELO is used to rank 1v1 and is not suited to rank team vs team, but that’s another discussion).
In M+, the score reflect the fact you’re fighting against time and a keystone level. The higher the keystone, the higher your score. The faster you complete, the faster your score. This measure also have tons of issues.
If you’re willing to discuss about any of these measures and what are the issues with them, we can start another thread. These are subjects that interest me.

A BiS 213, then, right ?

207 for a +14 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I can also say that I don’t care. Most of my runs are as tank with other people keys. As tank, I can easily find a group and even choose the dungeon and key level I apply for. But I care because I see people posting their key is ruined because someone left, or unable to join groups, etc.

I don’t see a problem with that. If a player gets the run in time after 100 attempts, the run is legit, and having done the dungeon 100 times, they huge experience, memorized every pull, can do the dungeon again blindly and hence earned the score.
Also spamming is not that easy. Forming a group, finding a tank and a healer takes time.

Everyone wants the best group possible, depletion or no depletion.
But even if you are right, and people are less picky, this can solve problems like “must have DH tank”, or “must have fire mage”, “Ret paladins are not allowed”, etc. Non meta classes will get picked more.

Consider The following:
Something goes wrong during the run, and the owner in a group sees there is no way they are finishing the dungeon in time.
If the owner bails the key is depleted. No loot.
If the owner stays the key is depleted. 1 piece of loot (20% chance) + Anima.

Now explain to me how depletion prevents the owner from bailing? because in whether he stays or not the key is depleted. Also how can it prevent the other 4 players in the group from bailing? They don’t care about the owner’s key.

If you read the OP, this is already addressed. They can add an NPC that the player can interact with to manually reduce the key level.

that will mean that i will just pay for example boost of +16 key and than just torture my self in +15 keys and getting gear which i dont deserve … simply depletion is here that u lower key bcs u dont deserve higher

Yes, boosting is a fact in the game, we can’t deny it. But do you want the game design decisions that address boosting to affect players who don’t buy boosts?

Also having a +15 key in your bags doesn’t give you any loot. Completing the +15 key is what gives you the loot. So even if you are willing to take “the torture” you mention, how can you find 4 others players willing to get tortured with you and stay till the run is complete? Remember that an incomplete run yields no loot. You make it sound easy, but it isn’t.

Finally, I also addressed the situation where you have a key you that is too difficult for you in my initial suggestion. Have an NPC that you interact with to deplete you key by 1 level (with a confirmation to prevent doing it accidentally). So the choice is up to the player.

Moreover, if you torture yourself to complete the +15, you actually did it, hence you deserve the gear. Or am I missing something here ?

1 Like

So it can be agreed that MMR tracks a players skill level though? The only difference is the opponent is an AI instead of a player. True however both measures have their advantages/disadvantages.

And in regards to BIS, 207 is almost full heroic raid (pre last 2 bosses) basically skips it for alts. And with the upcoming valor system will jump to 220 loot. Bare in mind most players wouldn’t touch mythic due to the jump in difficulty from heroic.

Some sort of basic AI should be implemented to "judge "
If key owner leaves then owners key is depleted plus 24hour debuff,in order to prevent multiple attempts.
If other person leaves then its key is depleted plus 24 hour debuff,and owners key stays as it was.

And before on call Socrates post : but what about emergency ?

Listen ,if i am to have irl emergency,then 24hour debuff in game would be last thing on my mind.

That’s the problem in fact with using a ranking system like ELO in a team fight. ELO is designed to rank players in a 1v1 competition.
So, if you use something like that in a team fight, you’re not ranking players, you’re ranking teams. But then, in WoW, the rank is attached to players, individually.
That’s why boosting in PvP is a thing, for example. The ranking system allows it.
There are other ranking systems which are designed to rank players in a team fight. Blizzard should have used one of these.

I can discuss a little bit more about it, but it would really be better to do that in another thread, I think.

1 Like

It does still count for the weekly vault if you finish it so who cares. You just don’t upgrade your key.