Why rogue have so many buttons?

I just started playing rogue and the rotation is crazy

backstab, keep slice and dice up, keep rupture up, press shadowdance , secret technique (only with shadowdance), press symbols of power every 30 seconds, press eviscerate but only if you already have rupture and SnD.

Dont get me started on having to rupture every target on aoe.

Meanwhile mage rotation
Fire blast, flamestrike, fire blast, flamestrike, fire blast, flame strike

Lol what?

9 Likes

Assassination rogue is sitting on ~15 and is only for doing damage, NOT utility/defensive. Button bloat anyone?

1 Like

only 15? I don’t think you using all your rogues abilities

Not sure if that’s sarcasm but that 15ish (can’t remember exactly) is for dps Only. Utility / defensives makes that even more

That’s not a thing though

just play sub bro, assa is the weakest rogue right now

what? I was told I have to rupture every target around me

In a perfect world, where you don’t need to think about time and resource management, sure. In practice, the amount of effort and time you would spend to have Rupture on many targets is wasteful. As a, not rule, but loose guideline, if the Target will die before Rupture finishes its whole duration, it’s usually not worth putting it on. In most cases, trying to maintain more than 3 Ruptures is going to distract you from everything else, and even then, the potential DPS increase isn’t likely to happen, when the situation develops. Maintaining 2 Ruptures, if the Targets are stacked is doable, even with the button bloat Sin currently has.

The main takeaway is, what might sim best, or look great on paper, it’s not often what can be pulled of in practical situations. Or as the great Mike Tyson said: “Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the mouth.”

so are you saying its better to just spam shuriken and black powder?

I can already maintain 2 ruptuers easily because I have a talent that ruptueres 2 mobs at once

Probably

Quite possibly. Rupture doesn’t really have any synergies with other Sub mechanics, it’s just a Bleed. For Sin, Rupture is much more important, as it is directly tied to Energy Regeneration and Resource Management. Even with Sin, the basic rule is to not overextend yourself, because you lose so much time just setting things up. Basically, it’s a choice of focusing on managing timers, or focusing on what the actual encounter requires. I’d avoid the idea of there always being just one way to approach any given situation.

You might wanna test things out on some Dummies, see how it feels to play with it in a controlled situation, compare the numbers. In actual combat settings, though, I’d suspect you’d get better outcomes with not overusing Rupture with Sub.

Actually Rupturing doesn’t even sim better. The only reason you might want to do it is because using Rupture doesn’t instantly generate a load of aggro. But otherwise, as far as total damage ouput goes, you only Black Powder.

However when you are trying to kill a specific target its a different matter.
And while spamming BP might get you to top the damage meter, that doesn’t mean its always the fastest way to kill a pack. You have to remember that AoEing a bunch of weak mobs will kill them before the stronger ones, leaving less targets to passive cleave.

This is a bit more in-depth than most have to understand though. If you just wanna brag about your details numbers Black Powder away.

1 Like

Generally yes, unless you have replicating shadows.

I found that at 5 targets or more, you’re better off just casting black powder, if you don’t have replicating shadows.

If you do have replicating shadows, i guess the target cap goes up, but the problem is, rupture is a dot, therefore you have to evaluate whether you can get the full benefit on the target.

1 Like

if the Target will die before Rupture finishes its whole duration, it’s usually not worth putting it on

thats the worst advice for assasination rogues.
Using your last bit of energy and last few combo points on a mob thats just about to die is like an on the fly thistle tea - you will pretty much be instantly on full energy again at the moment of death.
You should read the tooltip more closely for venomous wounds.

This is especially true for events that have waves of mobs - just as last mob is about to die put a few / the remaining combo points ( doesnt need to be max) rupture on it and be instantly at 100% energy for the next. Its basically another way to spend remaining points.

1 Like

You are intentionally taking it out of context, by the way you cut that quote. That’s not really arguing in good faith. You are completely ignoring the conditionals, as clearly stated. To address your point there, it’s situational. Do you need the Energy after the target is dead or not, do you need to move, do you have time to regain Energy passively, will having Combo Points be more beneficial when switching, than Energy… You are leaving out all this important context. In some situations your approach is correct, in others, not so much.

Where and when did Assassination enter the chat?

The OP is talking about Secret Technique and Symbols, there is no Assassination involved.

Tbh. Likely blizzards attempt to appease multiple audiences.

Some players want really long rotations others simply dont. So why not make classes ranging in keybinds to give players the opportunity to express themselves as they want

Wouldnt say subs rotation is that extensice though not atleast in how many different buttons you press it does require CD management though as it does have multiple CDs that feed into its kit

Assassination and outlaw are crazy though

3 Likes

If you’re bad/slow minded don’t play Rogue.
Play something that is more simple.
Don’t cry about how hard it is; good players like it.
Period.

Dont panic! :slight_smile:

I use these for off-gcd stuff mostly and works well for me. What I mean most rotational abilities that have a GCD are on keys. And off-gcd stuff is on my mousewheel.

This is on wheel-down:

/cast [nomod]Symbols of Death;[mod:ctrl]Slice and Dice;[mod:shift]Shadow Blades

self expanatory I guess…

And this is on wheel up:

/cast [mod:ctrl]Shuriken Tornado
/cast [stance:0]Shadow Dance
/cast [nomod]Thistle Tea

This is a little trickier. It does Shuriken Tornado with ctrl, uses shadow dance out of stealth. The ‘nomod’ before Tea is for single target. As far as I know on AoE you always send tea with dance, but on single target you send them together for the opener only and after that you use tea based on missing energy and not with dance CD. So the ‘nomod’ makes it a single pop of shadowdance without tea if you press shift.

You can also use this for double dance builds:

/cast [stance:0]Shadow Dance;[stance:2]Symbols of Death

This way symbols only triggers while in dance. (You have to use it twice.)

This way mouse wheel up and down with shift ad ctrl will cover most of your off-gcd damage abilities.

I have played assassination rogue for my entre wow careere, nowadays i am mostly just chilling in solo shuffle.
If you read guides and such in pvp it is easily 27 buttons you use, but that is if you follow the meta as it currently is.
The ammount of buttons were a big problem for me personally, as a few years ago i lost two fingers on my left hand, the two next to my thumb, also i have broken my little finger so many times it is just a mess for button pressing.
Good thing we can really costumize out build now, and i managed to make my self a build that i can play with, with less buttons, got it down to about 20 or 19.
I love the pvp challange and have find a way to be Some what competitive as i stakk the open world and fool around in the shuffle.
You just gotte git gud or find a playstyle you like and is happy with. And that suits your play style.
Also good tip, change dome of your abillities to your mouse wheel, make the rotation and upkeep easier when it comes to your bleeds and slice, scroll down for mutilate up for envenom, press for rapture. That 3 abillities on on finger. Aslo you can have other abillities on the mouse wheel while Stealth or in shadow dance. Ambush and so on, what ever feels right to you

1 Like

Try shaman and see how many buttons

1 Like