Why the level 58 boost is bad for the game #stoptheboost

I’m giving my opinion.
No need to be petty

Edit: Maybe you could spend that time levelling to 60 instead of spending your time on the forums.
Just a thought

3 Likes

I give you an F

And I have a tedious habit of getting on top of my soap box when it comes to this kind of topic, and it takes me back to the reams and reams of pontificating waffle I used to write back in 2012 on Grupp during the period of the 250-page Classic Realms thread; when I was constantly berating people for expressing opinions as facts - Christ, I’m reverting back. Sorry.

I guess it’s because it’s a topic I feel so passionately about. I have an old school RPG mindset, and the idea of people skipping parts of what I see as an essential part of a role playing game is, to me, anathema - but then again I’m an old git.

I understand that mindset but I guess I just have a hard time seeing WoW as an old school RPG these days, even Classic. Even now on my server the LFG channel is loaded with more paid boosts than people actually searching for dungeon runs. Maybe in 2007 I would have agreed with you but it’s a different time now.

3 Likes

I wonder why Old School Runescape is still popular?
I never played it but in sure they didnt implement boosts to skip content

2 Likes

Dunno, never played Runescape. Is it as endgame focused as WoW?

I don’t see any of that, because I play on a nice little medium population PvE server. Most of what you describe happens on those huge megaservers, that are filled with people who used to play on private servers.

I play on Zandalar Tribe, which is an RPPVP server lol. I specifically chose it to avoid the megahype but here we are.

I think you’re talking about retail there.
Classic is all about the journey

Oh… ouch.

Maybe another reason I don’t see any of that stuff is that I have public chat channels permanently disabled.

Yes, ME. I made a huge mistake of rerolling a new class when the original TBC came out on a fresh realm. Burned out aomewhere in the 40s and quit the game for maybe a year. Only came back toward the end of BT patch, back to my main and entered outland. Turns out the game was actually good, brilliant even, I just happened to get bogged down in the crappy, unfinished, beta test version of it that the completed product (TBC) should have done away with. So yes, that is MY lived experience and MY opinion. I don’t want other people like me to SUFFER through the vanilla levelling, but rather enjoy the great world of outland. SCREW old world levelling, bring on TBC.
You know, after reading the condescendig, patronising replies in this thread andd the 500 reply one in classic forum, I am kinda gleeful the boost will be in game (even though I’m not gonna use it most likely), simply because it makes gatekeepers like you and Perrydodger mad. /rasp

1 Like

You’d inflict pay-to-win on the entire population, just to spite two random forum posters?

No, I’d inflict it to spare others my fate i described in that very post. I very nearly missed the awesomeness that was TBC and Wrath because of the crappy, unfinished vanilla levelling. That it spites you is just a bonus, a cherry on top if you will.

I see, so you’d inflict it because Vanilla levelling is “unfinished”, what the heck does that even mean?

And the vindictiveness of spiting two random forum users is just the ''cherry on top".

At least you’re honest in your desire to hurt people.

Not only the 58 boost is fine, but also will make more people play TBC rather than give up while they realize they have to level 1-60 before even enjoy the TBC content*

*no, the 1-60 is not TBC content even with the tweak/changes isn’t TBC content and you can clearly check in game.

Also everybody has already the Main at 60 and their alt/alts at 60 or at least between 45-60 and they are keep finish to level or boost them, so the 58 boost will be probably used by the majority of players on a character that is not gonna be used in raid or played outside

Doing a CD like Transmute/Spellcloth or Druid with Mining Herbalism for gathering.

1 Like

Roughly it means full of unfinished storylines that lead nowhere (Kingnapping of the king of Stormwind, Eranikus’ soul gem, pretty much the entirety of Aszhara etc.), breadcrumb quests that lead you halfway across the world for no tangible benefit (quests to go to stonetalon, salt flats in 1kn, swamp of sorrows just to name a few). Underhanded tricks like collecting two pristine horns with 10% drop rate that can lead to horrible dry spells instead of doing it properly (like, say, collecting 100 intact hooves with each zhevra having 1-4) etc. You know perfectly well what I’m talking about.
It has a certain charm the first time around, but once you’ve seen it all, doing it again is imo an exercise in masochism.
I’m not even going to respond to the ad hominem about me wanting to hurt people.

It’s bad because it undermines a major progression system of the game, and invites the cashshop in.

Classic wow is about time an effort, and this is meaningless if you can just buy your way to success.

5 Likes

The fact that a quest causes you to travel does not mean it is ‘unfinished’. Low drop rates does not mean that the quest is ‘unfinished’.

The genuinely unfinished quests you mention can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and is even less of a problem given that many of them were actually finished in patch 2.3 with the inclusion of the new quest hubs. Missing Diplomat being just one example.

I’m not even going to respond to the ad hominem about me wanting to hurt people.

Except you said it yourself. You stated quite clearly that part of your desire to see pay-to-win was merely out of a vindictive desire to spite people like me.

How extremely mature I think not

Well, if you level through TBC and especially Wrath, you will see exactly what I mean. Maybe I should have rather said “unrefined” or “rough” rather then unfinished. But levelling in Wrath through the Fjord map and into Grizzly hills and Zul’drak is what I mean by a “finished” levelling experience.
As an aside, would you believe that The Missing Diplomat (the name escaped me) left such a sour taste in my mouth I actually never learned they finished it in TBC? And I levelled 4 characters after my main from TBC to Cata when I quit. Never touched it again. Fool me once and all that.