Will it be worth maining DH in Shadowlands?

I really can’t make a decision here. I love my DH despite his rotation being simplistic, because I’m a mainly solo player who likes to tackle the open world. However, from what I see DHs are getting beyond gutted in next expo and each time I read over all the changes it gets worse and worse. Losing the leech, losing the DPS options for my Veng DH, Immolation aura being another build route instead of being an addition to supplement the already existing rotation, so on and so forth. Honestly, I don’t wanna invest myself into a class that will be spit on by everyone if it’s also turning into crap. So what are your thoughts? Do I invest myself further into the class or do I just find something else to main? At this point honestly, I don’t even know what I’d main more. Maybe druids or rogues? Hell if I know.

5 Likes

This is the question, that nobody can answer for you. But honestly, it seems silly to me to decide this right now. You need to play it by yourself in release state, and see if it fits you. You need to remember that it is still Beta, things may change anytime. Also, the feedback you hear is mostly from people who raid mythic and push high keys or compete in high PvP rankings.
Their feedback might not be relevant to you.
Also, everytime the new xpac hits, all classes feel weak. As you level up, you feel weaker and weaker, because you lose stats and borrowed power (essences, azerite traits, corruptions). First patch, you will work towards regaining them and untill 9.3 you will most probably not feel as powerful, as you feel now, on any class.

They need everything to push down. Your level, stats and powerlevel in order for you to progress and feel rewarded for playing.
Honestly, can you imagine keeping all BfA stuff in Shadowlands? What other powers would you need to get in order to feel excited and more powerful than now?

So to keep it short. Every class will feel weaker. It depends, how the class plays and feels. DH will still have double jump, glide and fel rush and fast paced gameplay and demonic feeling. That is what keeps me playing it. But is it enough to keep you? Who are we to know? Just see for yourself. Also keep in mind, that things tend to get better as expansion progresses.

Also I believe that the nerfs are not as hard as everyone claims

1. Blade dance dodge - we will no longer be able to dodge some mechanics in m+ so consistently. It will need more preparation, but with death sweep in meta it is still possible
  2. Blur? Still 20% reduction is strong on 1 min CD. Stronger than druids ironbark with added 50% dodge. Which still can help your tank to drop stacks on necrotic week.
  3. Netherwalk? Now the CD is just similar to hunter´s aspect of the turtle or mages iceblock
  4. Leech? We loose 20% baseline in meta, but 10% of it got added to soul rending talent, which makes it more powerful. So you move from 10% leech to 5% without meta and from 40% to 30% with meta, while using soul rending, Which is not as bad as it is pronounced.

The main problem with DH in SL is not adressing the lack of choices in the talent tree. Since Legion we have mandatory options, which kill the other two and remove variability. In my opinion, if 99% players pick some talent like first blood, it should be made baseline. But we have these issues even now, so nothing changes in SL for us. That is the main problem, people hoped for changes and we got nothing for now.

12 Likes

What a beautiful reply. I wrote this post in a blaze of confusion during the night and now that I’ve woken up I can look at the picture more clearly. I was somewhat spoiled by a survival hunter, I really like how the spec feels at the moment and that there are some niche abilities that just add flavor to the class - Eagle Eye, Tracking, things of that sort. While I love the hell out of my demon hunter for the double jump+Glide and Fel Rush/Infernal Strike, I find the class pretty lacking in abilities department so I know exactly what you mean when you say “People hoped for changes and we got nothing for now”. The thing is though, I have swapped between classes one too many times. I want a dedicated class I can play with, that I can invest myself into and make it a part of myself. One aspect always sticks out like a sore thumb when I’m playing the game. The problem with demon hunter, aside from a lack of rotation as you said, is also the generic hate the class is getting from everyone and it also doesn’t fit with some quest fantasies. For example, that quest in Stormsong valley where you are asked to catch exploding rats…or to drink milk and eat cookies. Or when some humanoid mobs attack you without fear or stagger when you are in your demonic form. Overall, I still have a decision to make. I’m thankful for guidance though, your comment has given me new perspective. Very much appreciated.

2 Likes

Hopefully no :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I genuinely don’t need responses from the people who keep hating on this class. I get it, Demon Hunters are overpowered with a simplistic rotation, they have unmatched mobility and I’m absolutely certain one of them owned you so hard in some way, shape or form that you began despising it with a passion. Frankly, I don’t care about these kinds of responses. I’m asking a honest, genuine question as I want opinions of people who have experienced it for themselves since I can’t, so take those two words and shove them up your you know what then seal it up with an emoticon.

11 Likes

Shalim already gave a GREAT answer but ill just add a little thing:

just ignore the nerfs and the haters. this class is still one of (if not THE) most fun class to play in this game! mechanically speaking demon hunter is just a rush, very fast gameplay, super mobility and double jump!

in fact im glad with the nerfs, means every time i kill someone or come on top in the damage i dont have to deal with the “pff OP class” comments.

play whats fun for you, forget the nerfs, or even embrace them and use them as fuel your gameplay improvement :smiley:

14 Likes

Yeah, I pretty much decided I’ll main a demon hunter. I was going back and forth between him and my survival hunter, but I am just absorbed by that mobility of DHs. They are worth it for that reason alone, but on top of it they are still very capable at soloing and have nice utilities, despite lacking 5 more spells to feel complete. I’ll roll one until the next shiny thing comes out and is hated more than Demon Hunter, just like it happened with Death Knights.

3 Likes

yeah i know what you mean, every time i go to my warrior or rogue (already 2 fast paced classes) i still feel slow!
DH changed how i play this game tbh, everything else just feels slow… let the nerfs come we will handle them!

5 Likes

I happen to play all of the Tank classes in BFA and will play all of them to some degree in SL.
I simply love the DH all around. If Blizz gave it a Heal spec it would be my main forever lol.

1 Like

Dh in SL 'll have MORTAL STRIKE.
The End.

2 Likes

When it comes to choosing a new main for an expansion you have to ask yourself Do you like to tank, heal or dps? If you want to do 2 of the roles then chose a hybrid class. Personally I like classes that can tank because it’s for me I’d rather play tank than healer. But that aside it’s better if you have a hybrid so you can get things done like without having to wait so long in dungeon queues. As for playing DH specifically you’ll have to see how it looks upon release.

3 Likes

It was never about the role itself for me. When it comes to rolling, I want to be self sufficient enough to play solo and to do it well. I am fine with being in the middle of the pack for instances, I’m far more concerned with the QoL abilities than an actual rotation. Like druid’s adaptability to every situation, rogue’s stealth and lockpicking, hunter’s Feign Death etc. For me far of bigger importance is how the theme of the class fits with the story and how well I can make it fit with the story, kinda the solo RP element. Might sound lame, but that is my jam when I’m playing games. I want it to fit me, to fit the story and to have usable quirks that make it special. I have tried out pretty much every class in the game by now and I’m split on it every time - grass is always greener on the other side kinda thing.

I love the hell out of DHs mobility, but they are overall a very simplistic class. After my basic rotation, most of my button mashing turns into a 1-2 combo abilities of spending and regenerating fury/pain. DHs also aren’t very liked in the community for that exact thing, because they are simple and awesome and there is a huge disparity in mobility between it and other classes. The worst of it though, at least when it comes to me, is how they stick out of the story like a sore thumb. Sure they are awesome, but then you come across goofy quests like for example to catch exploding rats and you ask yourself “Wait, what the actual hell am I doing? Aren’t I supposed to be a Demon Slayer?”. Makes you rethink your life as it draws you right out of the immersion. Does give me a good laugh though, so there’s that.

Sorry for going on such a long tangent, but the point is that I want to find a single class and stick with it. I don’t want that class to be redundant but I do want it to be personal, to have quirks where I can shine (example, Lockpicking in Tol Dagor). In the end, I decided to keep sticking with my DH for now. I’ll do dailies with my DH and I’ll level my Rogue in the free time. So far, it’s the only class I haven’t given enough consideration.

3 Likes

Wouldnt recommend it, its a one dps spec Class that will suffer heavily from bad changes, just as the upcoming ones with the base removal of leech and other ton talent nerfs without bringing versatility into the talents or working on glaring issues like Nemesis.

You will pretty much very likely play the same build as it is now but heavily nerfed while everyone else gets good and improved class design. If thats fun for you then go for it.

Terrible legendaries, terrible talent variety and big nerfs to the class while Vengeance stays mediocre.

If youre just a casual player, anything works then however.

3 Likes

I see it this way as well. I hope they will fix the class but from what I can see Vengeance will be the kind of tanks so it will shade havoc for the first time. It is typical blizzard approach, we want to push this to be played and nerf this to the ground so players wont have a choice. Stupid DYING company.

1 Like

lol, talking about being a defeatist there bro

while everyone else gets good and improved class design

check the other class forums, there’s not a single class that its happy with the changes! its like this on the start of every expansion tbh, but things eventually get sorted out.
people here are making this big deal about the nerfs, but forget that the borrowed power gets changed to everyone else.

warriors complain about lack of rage generators, rogue complain about pretty much everything, priests about shadow being useless, locks about the nerfs, monks about the fact that they wont get any buffs to the class, etc etc

to the OP: its about the mechanics. every single class has a simple rotation, WoW is not rocket science… one more button one less button… if you want to improve skill go PVP, suddenly you’ll have like 40 buttons to press, specially if you do arena.

6 Likes

Shadowpriest have a word with you. It looks awsome now gonna be new main in sl!

1 Like

Yeah, I thought about making one priest myself for healing and to try out shadow for DPS, it’s really gonna be interesting. I’m thinking tho, seeing how I main Vengenace and not Havoc, nothing too big is really affecting me when I look from the casual gameplay. I’m not regretting that I chose DH to main.

1 Like

Wait for the final closure of beta then you will see how things are going to be.Now its no point to speculate as everything is changing every build.

2 Likes

Vengeance needed some love but it wont be OP or considered to be Good enough for a raid spot or High keys and M+ 15 isnt high.

2 Likes

Played it on beta and it doesn’t seem worst for keys imo. Sometimes there will be need for kiting but personaly I like vengeance with necrolord covenant. Everybody even my coop monk tank feels weak compared to BfA, but it is always like that in early stages of the expansion.

1 Like