World of Warcraft is crashing on Mac Sonoma

First time ever I get an error code:
1C1074DA-4703-44EA-8070-3C9092D37172

This problem is really annoying for thousands of Mac users. I have a workaround. This crash occurs only in full screen mode. You can change your screen configurations via the configuration file.

Go to your /World of Warcraft/_retail_/WTF/Config.wtf file and open it. Make sure you have write permission.

Change the following configs and save it.

SET gxMaximize "0"

and

SET gxWindowedResolution "1719x967"

This work for my machine:

MacBook Pro
2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
Sonoma 14.0 (23A344)

UPDATE: It worked a few times, but now it crashes again…

1 Like

Nothing changed lately, even clear that files https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/34719
still stuck randomly, even play alone, or groups, mainly stuck dungeons, almoust once each, W11 , AMD Ryzen

Looks that last Bnet app update solve problem, bit lagging some areas, that have happen earlier too if lot players, but now it’s very samekind what it was earlier.

Hello!!!

Many are of have been paying you a lot of money over the years. This silence and lack of response, updates and info are truly amazing. Some of the blue collegues in US recommend installing a Windows copy on bootcamp and play from that. Really? Such a clever advice, and so… creative. So… next tech expert advice would be…what?

Go and buy a windows game rig?

As a Mac user I’m pretty used to be marginalized, and fine, ALOT more ppl are gaming on windows. But as long as u provide a Mac version I do believe we deserve the same level of customer care our peezee friends got. Makes me more sad than raging that it’s not the case.

3 Likes

The fact that this issue hasnt been resolved yet is completely outrageous …

1 Like

Made the fatal mistake of updating my Mac from Ventura to Sonoma today and now WoW crashes instantly on launch.

Found my way to this thread and gutted to hear there’s no fix apart from an OS rollback (which will require a USB rebootable installer), and no updates from Blizz for 3 weeks now.

Really don’t intend to go through the effort of rolling back my Mac for this, so I guess I’ll find something else to play now.

2 Likes

A whole week, another update and still no fix for this, come on Blizzard ffs

1 Like

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. Its been more than a month since this debacle began.

At least please provide us with a description of what you’ve found out so far and some idea of a timeline to solution.

Sonoma had been updated at least once, I’m sure a big tech company such as Blizzard must’ve been in contact with Apple over this. Do you mean to tell us you still have no clue what’s going on?

And please, please for the love of God or anything else you hold dear: post a WARNING on the login screen to Mac users NOT to update to Sonoma atm.

Threads are filling up with frustrated gamers who claimed they hadn’t heard a thing about this issue and now can’t play. Show some decency please. You normally have a great product, but don’t forget it’s paid for with our money.

4 Likes

I just lose last month of subscription :slight_smile:

Was writing to Blizz Support for some game time refund, but they are like “hmm… if the problem will be big so we will start to think about it… but now, you know, it’s too small…”

Like what the heck Blizz? Do you even bother of Mac Players? Not a single information about how the solution it’s going! Not even information for players on forum or launcher to be careful with new updates THAT IS LITERALLY MAKING GAME UNPLAYABLE!!!

1 Like

Just paused my subscription.
Have had multiple crashes in different world zones and heroic instances. The game doesn´t crash on launch though. Still the game is unplayable bc it crashes after 30 min - 1h gameplay.

My specs:

MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports
2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
MacOS 14.1 (23B74)

Please Blizzard fix this!

Edit: P.S.: I reinstalled the game 3 times. didn´t help.

1 Like

Since it seems the community’s left with trying to figure this out ourselves. All you hungry devs out there, roll up your sleeves. Who knows, maybe Blizz will throw in a free token to the winner…

1 Like

My Mac is also now unplayable. Bliz should have already resolved this issue but here we sit 1 month later with a s**t user experience. Fix the issue or i will cancel my subscription and demand my money back. - machine details Mac book Pro -2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB

3 Likes

My gf’s Macbook Air M1 keeps having kernel panics when playing Dragonflight. Upgraded to sonoma when it came out. Of course, with sonama comes ‘game mode’ which may or may not be responsible. After it happening three times during the course of a WoW night last night she nearly threw the laptop out the window.

I’ve turned off game mode on her mac (which isn’t particularly intuitive, I must say, as you need to be in windowed mode to even see the joystick game mode icon in the tool bar). We’ll have another go at the weekend to see if it fixes it.

It’s a proper old kernel panic crash, that’s for sure. Immobilises the entire machine.

JUST IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

…try turning off game mode and see if it works. Report back. Not tried it yet.

How do you do that? Sorry for noob question

Same here, I can’t play anymore (wow classic) since i’m on Sonoma with my intel mac. The game freeze 1 minute after lauch and the mac crash.

MacBook Pro 13-inch, 2018
2,3 GHz Intel Core i5 quad core
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 Mo
16 Go 2133 MHz LPDDR3
MacOS 14.1.1 (23B81)

Do I have to stop my subscritpion or can i have a refund? I mean, rollback the version of the OS is not an ok workaround.

1 Like

Guys, I think I found the solution, during this time I was able to play wow till I reset the game setting, and I realized it is the “gxAPI” set to MTL = metal which cause the problem.
just go to the config.wtf and set it to metal_legacy :
SET gxApi “mtl_legacy”

I’ve seen so many people on US servers faced this issue, since I can’t replay to them, please someone let them know :D, I spend the whole day trying to figure this out.

2 Likes

Haven’t been able to test this much a considerable gaming session but after changing the in-game graphic setting from “Metal” to “Metal Legacy”, I was able to play longer without a crash than usual.

This could well be a fix?

I’m not expert but I assume the crashes has something to do with some graphic settings, maybe adjust them to reach an optimized setting.
But I think for Intel-macOS (Iris graphic) metal-legacy is a must.