World of Warcraft is crashing on Mac Sonoma

Unfortunately, switching to “Metal Legacy” isn’t the remedy. First minute after logging in this time and wheel of doom, freeze, the graphical madness.

Hmm.

2 Likes

I can confirm changing to Metal Legacy as in Ashils post seems to solve the Intel/Iris issue for me:

Launcher still freezes up on “Connect” but after 10 sec or so it continues to log in. I’ve been in Dala for 2 hrs so far.

UPDATE: Still running fine 24+ hrs

1 Like

New update today didn’t change anything still not possible to play the f*** game … pls fix this

3 Likes

Hey, do you run this in windowed mode too? Just trying to figure out why mine may still be crashing.

Thanks!

Except I couldn’t do the job that pays my salary. Toy computers are all well and good for playing games but if you’re an actual dev developing gadgets and devices you want one with a decent operating system. I mostly play games on a PlayStation anyway.

My Mac is perfectly fine for WoW at the moment except that I haven’t updated it. My partner did update hers and she has the same problem. We’re trying the legacy metal trick.

2 Likes

This is how we fixed it on my partner’s Mac Book Pro (13 in 2020, 2Ghz i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics, 32GB).

We tried scanning and rebuilding (didn’t work). We tried a complete re-install. We then saw the post about setting the gxApi to “MTL_Legacy” in the Config.wtf file.

Unfortunately because it was crashing on start we weren’t getting a WTF directory in Retail yet. We tried starting WoW directly, rather than from the Battle Net app and that resulted in a kernel panic. So we resorted to the time machine backup, put back the original problematic install, and yay, there was Config.wtf.

And yes changing to MTL_legacy fixed it.

2 Likes

Hey Blizzard, the work around seems to be changing the gxAPI entry in Config.wtf to MTL_legacy. Can I suggest changing this setting for all Intel installs on Mac at least. This looks like MacOS changes around Metal may have caused this.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the above mentioned work around didn’t fix the situation here.
MacBook Pro 13", 2019 2.4 Ghz i5, 16GB, Sonoma14.1.1

Can anyone confirm that the issue also exists on latest machines? I’ll get an M3 Pro MBP soon and so far was hoping that it’s a GPU / Intel Mac issue…

1 Like

The Apple user way did the trick for me :wink:: Getting a brand new MBP M3 Pro and not only could I load my characters without freeze but am also able to play the game at max settings with 60fps for the very first time since I startet my subscription back int 2007 :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

That’s awesome to hear! What’s the configuration of the MBP?

I am having the exact same issue. Upgraded from Mojave to Sonoma yesterday - never had any problems with WoW when I was running Mojave. Now it crashes and flashes as describe by others.
Running on a MacBook Pro Mid 2018 - OS X 14.1.1

1 Like

Anyone knows about a potential fix? Its really affecting my ability play…

Got the same issues here… Wanted to give SOD a try on a 2020 MacBook Pro. Reinstalling and all that stuff I’ve tried but doesn’t seem to work. Anyway, SOD will prob die out within a few weeks anyway. Guess I saved 14 euros, or, 1/5 tank of gas.

Over two months and no fix? I am not renewing my subscription if this is not fixed. It’s unplayable…

1 Like

I have tried with the Metal legacy fix but it didn’t work. MacBook Pro 2018 Intel Iris Plus 655

After spending several hours on this issue I was able to log in to Classic WoW.
I have latest MacOS Sonoma (Intel graphic card) and game was failing right on login screen due to memory leak issue.

In WTF/Config.wtf:

1. I have set gxApi “MTL_Legacy”
  2. I have set gxFullscreenResolution “1200x800”
  3. In battle net > wow classic > game options, I have set additional command -windowed
  4. (probably optional) I’ve also tried logging from other device (used Boosteroid as cloud gaming)

Full Config.wtf file:

SET CACHE-WQST-QuestObjectiveHotfixCount “0”
SET graphicsEnvironmentDetail “1”
SET RAIDspellClutter “75”
SET gxApi “MTL_Legacy”
SET RAIDParticulatesEnabled “0”
SET raidGraphicsTextureResolution “1”
SET graphicsComputeEffects “0”
SET volumeFogLevel “0”
SET terrainLodDist “225”
SET raidGraphicsSunshafts “1”
SET playIntroMovie “10”
SET raidGraphicsProjectedTextures “1”
SET CACHE-WQST-QuestObjectiveXEffectRecordCount “23496”
SET raidGraphicsOutlineMode “0”
SET RAIDreflectionMode “0”
SET CACHE-WQST-QuestV2RecordCount “52719”
SET reflectionMode “0”
SET particulatesEnabled “0”
SET RAIDparticleMTDensity “20”
SET useCompactPartyFrames “1”
SET RAIDentityLodDist “5”
SET graphicsDepthEffects “0”
SET lodObjectCullSize “30”
SET checkAddonVersion “0”
SET RAIDparticleDensity “10”
SET gameTip “10”
SET spellClutter “75”
SET portal “EU”
SET expandUpgradePanel “0”
SET RAIDlodObjectFadeScale “50”
SET raidGraphicsEnvironmentDetail “1”
SET RAIDcomponentTextureLevel “1”
SET graphicsQuality “1”
SET RAIDdoodadLodScale “50”
SET RAIDterrainMipLevel “1”
SET agentUID “wow_classic_era”
SET LibOpenRaidTempCache “^1^T^SgearInfo^S~}1~}T~}SVinulla~}T~}SnoEnchants~}T~}N1~}N10~}t~}Silevel~}N392~}SequippedGear~}T~}N1~}T~}SgemSlots~}N1~}SitemLevel~}N402~}SgemId~}N192938~}SitemName~}SInfurious~|Spirit's~|Hood~}SenchantId~}N0~}SitemId~}N193456~}SitemLink~}S|cffa335ee|Hitem:193456::192938::::::70:577::13:8:8836:8840:8902:8960:8809:8780:8801:8845|h[Infurious~|Spirit's~|Hood]|r~}SslotId~}N1~}SitemQuality~}N4~}t~}N2~}T~}SgemSlots~}N3~}SitemLevel~}N395~}SgemId~}N192938~}SitemName~}SCrimson~|Gladiator's~|Amulet~}SenchantId~}N0~}SitemId~}N201806~}SitemLink~}S|cffa335ee|Hitem:201806::192938:192938:192938::::70:577::8:7:9009:6652:8784:8782:9003:1485:8767|h[Crimson~|Gladiator's~|Amulet]|r~}SslotId~}N2~}SitemQuality~}N4~}t~}N3~}T~}SgemSlots~}N0~}SitemLevel~}N395~}SgemId~}N0~}SitemName~}SSkybound~|Avenger's~|Ailerons~}SenchantId~}N0~}SitemId~}N200347~}SitemLink~}S|cffa335ee|Hitem:200347::::::::70:577::14:6:6652:9009:8826:9003:1469:8767|h[Skybound~|Avenger's~|Ailerons]|r~}SslotId~}N3~}SitemQuality~}N”
SET RAIDrippleDetail “0”
SET gxFullscreenResolution “2880x1800”
SET Sound_AmbienceVolume “0.60000002384186”
SET RAIDTerrainLodDiv “384”
SET CACHE-WQST-QuestObjectiveXEffectHotfixCount “0”
SET raidGraphicsSSAO “0”
SET KioskLobbyKickSeconds “30”
SET raidGraphicsGroundClutter “1”
SET graphicsProjectedTextures “1”
SET engineSurvey “8”
SET RAIDhorizonClip “2000”
SET CACHE-WGOB-GameObjectsRecordCount “103355”
SET CACHE-WQST-QuestObjectiveRecordCount “52180”
SET RAIDDepthBasedOpacity “0”
SET gxWindowedResolution “1200x800”
SET LibOpenRaidTempCacheDebug “09:33:11| invalid temporary cache: data length lower than 2 bytes (first login?)”
SET Sound_MusicVolume “0.40000000596046”
SET raidGraphicsDepthEffects “0”
SET horizonStart “600”
SET graphicsParticleDensity “5”
SET characterFrameCollapsed “0”
SET RAIDlodObjectMinSize “0”
SET entityLodDist “5”
SET raidGraphicsSpellDensity “1”
SET RAIDVolumeFogLevel “0”
SET rippleDetail “0”
SET lodObjectFadeScale “50”
SET entityShadowFadeScale “10”
SET audioLocale “enUS”
SET RAIDgraphicsQuality “1”
SET horizonClip “2000”
SET RAIDlodObjectCullSize “30”
SET graphicsViewDistance “1”
SET RAIDweatherDensity “0”
SET CACHE-WGOB-GameObjectsHotfixCount “0”
SET graphicsTextureResolution “2”
SET CACHE-WQST-QuestV2HotfixCount “0”
SET KioskCharacterTemplateSet “0”
SET projectedTextures “1”
SET RAIDfarclip “2000”
SET wmoLodDist “250”
SET TerrainLodDiv “384”
SET Sound_OutputDriverName “System Default”
SET graphicsSunshafts “3”
SET graphicsGroundClutter “1”
SET farclip “2000”
SET graphicsLiquidDetail “0”
SET doodadLodScale “50”
SET textLocale “enUS”
SET raidGraphicsComputeEffects “0”
SET graphicsShadowQuality “0”
SET gxMaximize “1”
SET RenderScale “0.5”
SET RAIDwmoLodDist “250”
SET graphicsOutlineMode “0”
SET autoOpenLootHistory “1”
SET raidGraphicsShadowQuality “0”
SET RAIDprojectedTextures “1”
SET DepthBasedOpacity “0”
SET lodObjectMinSize “0”
SET engineSurveyPatch “100007”
SET raidGraphicsParticleDensity “1”
SET graphicsSpellDensity “1”
SET RAIDhorizonStart “600”
SET minimapTrackedInfov2 “234088”
SET graphicsSSAO “0”
SET lastAddonVersion “100007”
SET hwDetect “0”
SET RAIDterrainLodDist “225”
SET videoOptionsVersion “37”
SET KioskCanSessionExpire “1”
SET raidGraphicsLiquidDetail “0”

1 Like

Metal legacy fix also does not work for me either…

On a
2020 Macbook Air
Intel quad core i5
Intel Iris Plus Graphics

Game crashes when it gets to the “connecting” screen and I see the dark portal.

I’ve just re-subbed for SoD, and I’m facing the same issue on my 2018 13" MBP. 2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655. I’ve played WoW before on this machine and have never had any issues, seems to be related to Sonoma.

I am able to log in, but I can only play for 5-10 minutes before WoW freezes, and I’m forced to restart my laptop.

I’ve tried multiple workarounds mentioned in the US thread on this topic: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/feedback-needed-wow-crashing-on-connect-under-macos-sonoma-140/1681301 (including changing the GFX API to Metal legacy, running in windowed mode) but no luck.

Considering this has been a known issue for months now, I think I’ll just refund my sub and wait until it’s fixed.

1 Like

I refunded. It’s a shame to miss the launch. But considering this has been ongoing for so long it seems unfair to get people to pay.

1 Like

I used a guide on the Apple website called “Use more than one version of macOS on a Mac” (Google and it’ll come up, I’m not able to share links for some reason) to create a new volume & install macOS 12 (Monterey). I played Classic WoW this morning for 30 minutes, and had no issues whatsoever.

Took around 2 hours to get everything set up, but seems to have been worth it (so far).

This seems to be a safer option than rolling back to a fresh install of Ventura/Monterey. Looks like I’ll be dual booting until this issue with Sonoma is resolved.

1 Like