WotLK Classic

Please let it be patch based and not start at 3.3.5a :slight_smile:

23 Likes

A bit early to discuss dis, mon…

But ya, WotLK Classic better come down the road. Good times!

4 Likes

That’s very unlikely. 3.3.5a was a decent patch for all classes and almost all speccs.

And we don’t want to see pre-nerf DK again :exploding_head:

6 Likes

Inb4 thread “what class will you be rolling in WOTLK?”

Poster 1. DK
Poster 2. DK
Poster 3. DK

4 Likes

As far as class balance goes, it will almost surely be 3.3.5a. Earlier WotLK was extremely unbalanced - with stuff like DKs, Circle of Healing spam etc. that really hurt game balance before they were fixed.

There weren’t major PvE-content nerfs throughout the expansion, so that’s less of a worry about WotLK, too.

What I can see them doing, ofc, is gating content according to the expansion, just as they did in TBC - not just raids/dungeons, but also stuff like heirlooms and perhaps even RDF (the RDF daily was designed with 3.3 emblems in mind, so I don’t even know how it’d work in earlier phases).

So you want dks transforming into ghouls for 25 or 45 seconds upon death in arena and just win the game because two lives? Ok :slight_smile:

Also don’t add “LFD” that would be a positive change imo, bit early to discuss though

3 Likes

Would love someone to explain why.

It seems to produce lots of “it made you realise how the other half play WoW” responses - but from my memory it came in at a point when all 5 man content was laughably easy if you were vaguely geared to current content. So… I can’t work out who was upset by it. But presumably people must have been otherwise it would induce this “the day when WoW died” response down the years.

automated dungeon finder is bad for two things:

• No communication with other players required at all
  • teleported to the instance instead of travelling in the world

Thats why custom group finder is a much better alternative (like you have in retail with mythic+ groups and also what tbc will get, i think)

3 Likes

LFD started an avalanche of changes that were mostly bad. Server communities were somewhat self-governing. If someone misbehaved, chances are they would create a bad reputation for themselves. A bad reputation could get you kicked from groups prematurely, or simply make it harder for you to find a group in the first place.

With cross-server LFD your manners in dungeons didn’t really matter, and this created a very toxic environment. To combat toxicity, Blizzard nerfed the content so that failure would be less likely, which would lead to less toxicity. But like you say, this made the content too easy, and they actually tried to go back on this doctrine in Cataclysm… but then they caved to complaints within a month or two, and content was once again void of any real challenge.

I believe the dungeon finder to be the single most harmful addition to the game, and when I got to re-experience Classic it reaffirmed my belief.

5 Likes

LFD could and should be added for old world dungeons to use while leveling but it should at least be considered to not enable it for current expansion dungeons.

Hell I’d welcome it already in TBC Classic if it was only for Vanilla dungeons, would spice leveling up a good notch especially later in TBC.

1 Like

3 things in fact Luck of the Draw is a bad addition.

Dunno why players need 5% buff on everything just because they are with a random players when they didn’t needed it before.

1 Like

Very true, that goes along with the argument from Terres, that they made the content easier to combat toxicity.
But this just created more and more problems, instead of just getting rid of it entirely and only stay with a group finder, where you manually pick your groups.

Why? There is no reason to skip the party where you look for a group, chat with other people and travel to the dungeon.
LFD just creates a worse experience for everyone, veteran and new players.

1 Like

Hmmm. I agree in principle - I think its been acknowledged that Blizzard looked at the LFD rates and wanted a very high success rate. (See also LFR). The Cata forum meltdown and Blizzard’s subsequent capitulation was embarrassing. (And yes, probably is a major nail in retail to this day.)

But its hard to argue “in practice” because from memory LFD was added in patch 3.3. So the only new dungeons were the ICC ones. Which were I think “harder” than previous WOTLK 5 mans. From memory all the heroic dungeons in WOTLK became trivially easy even before Ulduar came out - with maybe one dodgy pull often before the last boss where you might get too many packs. (Thinking Utgarde Pinnacle with the fearing mobs sending players into packs people always skipped and the room before Loken in Halls of Lightning). Eventually - not entirely sure when in the expansion’s lifespan - even zerging into 3+ packs wasn’t a problem. I think it took longer to fly from Dalaran to Gundrak than the do the dungeon.

Sure, it’s inevitable for dungeons to get easier as raid content progresses forward and people get more gear. It is meant as a way to get your starter gear as a fresh max level character.
Heroic dungeons are usually hard in the first weeks of an expansion, but as soon as you get raid gear, it gets easier. Still, they added things like the 5% buff to make dungeons even more easier and require even less coordination / communication.

Yeah, the end was so much more balance “cough” Ele Shammy, Destro Lock “cough”.

They will do the last patch, because its easier for them and needs a lot less work. Some will complain, nothing will change, everyone will play. And since the next good xpac was Legion from this point they wont do any more classic except go from the start of vanilla again.

And before I get a “No no X was more fun then Legion” yeah, I think Cata was amazing half way onward, but most don’t so I settled on what a lot of people (me included) usually rank Legion as (a overall very good xpac).

Whats wrong with them? They were not as good as other speccs but still fine to play. There will always be some imbalance, you can’t perfectly balance every specc in a 1% range.
Fact is, almost every specc was to an extent useful to bring in a 25man Raid.
And bad speccs (e.g BM Hunter, Sub Rogue) got a better alternative so it was fine to play the class anyways.

I was talking about pvp mostly. They were stupidly op in pvp since they did insane dmg in the last season.

If you are talking about PvE I dont remember Ret or DK melting stuff there at any point during Wotlk. They were alright at best from my memory.

Someone is always op, the reason to do it by patches is so that w/e was broken in the end does not end up broken for 2years.

Prenerf broken DKs? Please no.
In return however they could give some custom buffs to dungeons and raids to make content more challenging. Buffing damage and hp x2 in Naxx would still make it easy but a good start.

Oh yeah, i was talking from a PvE standpoint, i dont know much about Wotlk PvP.

In PvE, Ret and DK was good but not overpowered or anything. In the very late stages (ICC 25 HC) Mage and Warrior spiked quite high, but they needed perfect gear for that

1 Like