WOTLK dungeons after dungeon finder

If you look at the graph you’ll see that the numbers had plateaued. WLK hadn’t seen the same growth as Vanilla and TBC. If they suspected that numbers would drop they’d have to do something, and that something was the Dungeon Finder (or so I believe). It was preemptive, and I suppose it did work. Most of their solutions have, but it has had consequences on the gameplay.

Yes, but the ability to group and play dungeons together through realID came in 4.2 (according to wowpedia). Of course, one could argue that the Dungeon Finder in Wrath could use that functionality, but if they were to do it it would not be #nochanges. In Wrath, strangers you met in dungeons were strangers you would only meet again by chance.

Did you miss the part where they said they don’t want heroics to become trivialised by gear? Whether they’ll deliver on that we can’t yet know, but seeing as everyone admits that dungeons were roflstomp ez mode, maybe we should encourage change.

I don’t know, I’ve been open to #somechanges ever since the launch of Classic. I wish they had done #somechanges since Phase 2 in TBCC, as someone who was in a casual raiding guild I ran out of things to do. The game doesn’t have the same stream of new players coming to try the game. It peaks at launch and then it drops. That is not an issue we had in the past and #somechanges could have helped with player retention.

Do you even remember what he said directly after that quote? Jesus.

The numbers actually rose sligthly all the way through Wrath. But of course every player, that you could hope to catch could very well be caught by then. It was as you say a question of retaining the players. And they obviously did a very bad job of it, as the numbers began falling with Cata. I won’t blame the RDF alone. The ruining of “our” world sat badly with many of us. Tauren Pallys and removing of ammo and all thise small immersive details did nothing good either.
I remember playing only in the new zones, and taking long breaks from Cata pre-patch onwards. The game kinda lost its magic. It was still the best,it was still what I played when I did, but not as often and as much as before the Shattering.

Real ID has been in Classic from the start. So much for #NoChanges. I suppose adding this to the RDF would not be a great issue.

1 Like

Reply #1 blizz is absolutely incapable of creating entertaining content, but personal opinions aside … 5man will always be outgeared, the only thing they can do is A add new spells and stuff and create new season of garbage that noone plays and is NOT a wotlk … B increase hp/dmg that will only create bigger barrier for lower ranking players and will kill weaker/non-fotm classes even more and higher ranking players will notice absolutely zero difference …
Both of these changes can work alongside RDF …

Reply #2 yes absolutely, lets get #somechanges … so where is that new auction house ? the only people who think current auction house is good are scammers and people who use addons instead … no ? lets jump straight into ruining the game …

I could say the exact same thing about your statement here:

Only difference is that I don’t pull numbers out of my rear. I don’t know the numbers (and neither do you), but I know what I’ve experienced playing Classic, and I know what I’ve experienced having played retail when the Dungeon Finder was introduced and seen the subsequent harm it did.

My experience in Classic is the opposite of what you claim. I came into the game with three friends and on my way to max level I encountered many people who I would play together with at max level. I didn’t have to apply to a guild – I found my guild by simply playing and communicating with people. This does not happen in retail, at least not with the Dungeon Finder. But it can happen with Mythic Dungeons as there’s a recruitment process there that’s not automated.

Did you not say in another thread that your experience with the Dungeon Finder was from a private server? Have you actually tried the Dungeon Finder in retail? It is not a very fun experience. I wish someone would tell me with a straight face that the Dungeon Finder is fun.

Even so, queues for dungeons had never been shorter. Your server is dead? No problem, server sharding is here to save the day. These tools were put in place in order to account for player drops, and they did so successfully – at the cost of the soul of the game, some might argue (myself included).

Real ID is a function of Battlenet, though… but it’s pointless to argue about. I’ll freely admit that if they implement a dungeon finder it makes sense to allow people to group up cross server as well even if that is against #nochanges. Because there wouldn’t really be a good reason to not do so, except for everyone’s favourite argument: #nochanges.

But … I thougth NoChanges was an argument that only Classic andyes and naive people ever used (Count me in the last category).

I know you did not say this to me, but I’ll answer anyway.
I don’t play Retail, and I have no intention whatsoever of doing it. So, no wont buy SL just to try a non-Dungeonfinder-Dungeonfinder tool.
But Yes, I think Wrath Dungeon finder was fun. I could keep on Questing while a group was made for me. I was put in a group with - mostly - clueless people who tolerated me. I’m a good tank (or was, I stopped due to eye problems), but I get lost in Dungeons every time, which the non-dungeon-finders never tolerated. In RDF we maybe lost one impatient DPS now and then, but then we always had a new in seconds. And some became BFF - after spending more than 4 hours wiping and fighting in Auchindoun you can not NOT be friends afterwards :wink:
And best of all. When the dungeon has ended BAM I was back to where I left off.
I had more fun in dungeons in the last half of Wrath than in the previous Vanilla, BC and first half Wrath rolled into one.

My vision problems are also the reason why I - apart from #NoChanges - could not care less for or against Dungeon Finder - I’m not going to use it.

Yes you could, but it wouldn’t be true, because my arguments are based on recent experiences while yours are based on 12 year old memories. And people tend to mix up a lot of stuff in the memories over Y years, or think they remember stuff, that actually never happened. Memory Isn’t reliable and therefore arguments based on memory are worthless.

Ok the numbers are just an estimate of my experience in TBC Classic. And there are many more that say the same thing. I think you’ve only had a different experience, because you didn’t run many random dungeons.

And that’s exactly the point. You weren’t running random dungeons, you were running with your 3 friends plus a random. This makes a completely different group synergy and of course your experience was different than mine, because I was doing most of my dungeon runs random. I actually played with the community and not just a small social circle.

No I didn’t try the random dungeon finder in Retail. But I had a lot of fun with the RDF on Warmane. And if the experience is so different in retail, than it is on warmane, while both have the RDF, it just shows the RDF isn’t to blame for a bad experience. So what exactly is your point here?

4 Likes

Yikes. You’re making so many assumptions about me, you’d think you were more of an expert on myself than I am. I will put the record straight in a second post, but for this post I want to tackle one thing in particular:

So I did some research and Warmane and from what I can tell the entire private server is about the size of one of our high/full populated realms in Classic (if maybe even less). I highly doubt you had access to cross-server grouping whilst on a private server, which means the Dungeon Finder was local. So when you queue up, chances are you’ll recognize the people you end up grouped with, no?

That makes all the difference in the world. The Dungeon Finder is cross-server. The pool from which to draw players is massive in comparison to your private server. Chances are that the people you meet when using the Dungeon Finder you’ll never meet again. This has had an averse affect on the overall mindset of the playerbase, of course. People going from retail to Classic likely bring this attitude with them which may explain why you’ve had such a bad luck with groups. If you’re looking for “easy” and “fast” dungeons, the retail-minded people are the ones you’ll find.

They’re based on my experiences in Classic (2019), TBCC (2021-present), my time playing WoW back in the day (active player from 2007-2011), my time playing sporadically (2013-2017) and my time returning to the game once again as an active player (2017-2019). An additional note: In 2017 I decided to play a completely fresh character which became my new main. I started with 0 gold and levelled without using any heirlooms.

Well, then based on my experience I can say that pretty much 100% of the dungeons I ran had some social activity in them (including chatter en route to the dungeon, during the dungeon or after the dungeon – sometimes I’d stick around in party chat to trade a few words).

But you are correct. I did not run many random dungeons. Because when I ran dungeons I actually got to know people. I played DPS myself (rogue, as you), and if I wanted a tank I’d always ask my guild and people on my friend list first. If none of them replied I would seek for randoms. So dungeons became less random as I got to know more people on my server. If a tank misbehaved I would not contact them simply because I needed a tank, and in fact the only time I can remember using votekick was when a druid tank needed on a spellcaster cloak from the Ahune event last year.

In comparison, when I returned to the game in 2017 I was only accompanied by one friend, and while we did have fun levelling together we made 0 new contacts on our way to max level. That is not a 12 year memory.

Actually, my point was that in spite of me starting playing with 3 friends I still made contacts throughout the my journey to max level (as opposed to my experience in retail). We weren’t always on the same level – in fact one of my friends was in Outland whilst the rest of us were around level 38-45 range. Sometimes I would run dungeons without any of my friends. I only really experienced trouble in finding people for groups right before Outland, as few people wanted to do old school dungeons since Hellfire Ramparts had so much better loot.

While I did not get overly involved in the server community I did nevertheless play my small part. I was part of a small casual guild, not even a raiding guild (we did not have a set raiding schedule, it varied from week to week). As Phase 2 approached there was a desire among people in my guild to run T5 content, but we wouldn’t be able to do it on our own and had to find another guild to partner up with. I actually helped out in this regard! Our potential partner-guild was short on DPS one evening, so my guild agreed to send me to help them. We also had some success with this guild as we managed to beat Gruul. Before we could attempt Magtheridon this guild went over to try Amazon’s new MMO, and my guild was back to square one. And sadly for us, we never really did find another guild to partner up with.

In fact, that’s when server transfers began. My server was not targeted, at first, but people began crying doom and gloom. It was hyperbole, but effective hyperbole. For my guild, interest in the game began to wane as we simply had ran out of content to do. We weren’t willing to convert into a raiding guild as we deemed the casual atmosphere more important and so we went on a hiatus. I got back to the game in May this year because of some of my other guildees. We’re now stuck on a dead server, but life endures. We’ve teamed up with a surviving guild and we run mainly 10mans though we have managed to do one 25man raid (Gruul). And as of right now I am very engaged in the server community.

Long story short: your presumptions were way off mark. If you did read my story, well, thank you for showing an interest? The point of this long post is only to set the record straight.

1 Like

Are you trying to make it look bad? While every class has a form of cc and interrupt it is still a very different kind of cc for most classes.
You have things like simple single stuns, aoe stuns, aoe roots, treants / earth ele to taunt, binding shot, ring of peace and so on.
Not every class is and feels the same like you imagine, they are all quite different and excel in different situations

I like the idea, they also did that with the M+ Affix “Inspired” (An Inspired mob can be CCed but it gives mobs in the area CC immunity). Essentially forcing you to sometimes hard CC those mobs and separate the Pulls.
The problem with that is though, players seem to hate it more than they like it

I also played since vanilla, we had people in guild who didnt say a word during whole naxx … we also had dude in guild who was getting death threats by whole realm the moment he logged in, we were the only guild who took him in …

When RDF came during WotLK, the only thing that changed was people who didnt have active friends could now actually get into the game …

With cata I would start skipping xpacs, playing month or two here and there, coming back for new raids and new seasons …

I started playing again on Legion, most of my friends stopped playing, I found my new guild while leveling, I met them in RDF and stayed with them for the rest of legion …

Oh yes we also have Mythics now, you know, get your own group, walk to the dungeon kinda things, they are hard and stuff, you need to cooperate and talk to others … except none of that is happening, either you play fotm or you can just uninstall wow, group finder tool shows you class and Ilvl and you just click decline on anything that isnt bis …

Also people are trashtalking Raid finder … I did raid through that like 2 times, once being on BFA where I just didnt care about the game anymore so I checked that crappy new raid and unsubbed … its like saying just because there are people playing arenas on 800mmr, it somehow ruins your 2.5k experience …

Thing is so far the only argument against RDF is "Social Interaction™ ", which is nice but completely useless argument, because you suddenly wont change mentality of people by removing one random thing from 15 years old game …

Arguments for RDF are 2, first is, it was in the bloody game, its as if you removed PvP gear from game because people cant find vendors …
Second argument is, we have 2 classic games, they suck hard, both of them, and no amount of changes is going to fix that and RDF is thing that can make at least one tiny aspect of the game suck slightly less … so why remove it …

Am I trying to make what look bad?

I’m afraid I do simply not understand what you’re trying to prove.
Telling me that M+ is so hard that you have to use a teqnique

You precisely use stuns / interrupts to shut down scary casts or abilities from going off.

that was not always possible with a random group in TBC, tells me absolutely nothing and is not an argument.

And when I then ask if this might be because people in SL as opposed to in TBC all having stuns and interrupts?
You reply by telling me that in SL you have

things like simple single stuns, aoe stuns, aoe roots, treants / earth ele to taunt, binding shot, ring of peace and so on.

only proving to me that every class now acrtually do have stuns and interrups at their disposal. You’re in short arguing for my point here.

Yes you are right, the warmane RDF isn’t cross realm, but it’s cross faction. So you still end up with people in the dungeon you can’t interact with in the game world or run dungeons with together outside the RDF.
Plus I played on an almost dead server in TBC Classic, with only 1500 active accounts in horde. Still there only were a few players I’ve ever ran into again when doing random dungeons. Most of the people I’ve met in the dungeon, I’ve never seen again. So in the end if you see or talk to somebody again after a dungeon is completely up to you. In the RDF you could also exchange battle tags and stay in touch. If you never see them again, it’s just because you decided so.

Well in the recent time you neither used the RDF nor did you run a lot if random dungeons, so how are you able to form an opinion about the RDF? Your opinion on the RDF is only based on your memory.

Yes because you ran dungeons mostly with people you know and only added an occasional random here and there. This is a complete different thing than running completely random. And it wouldn’t even change if the one random you occasionally add would be added by the RDF. So this whole discussion doesn’t even concern you.

There was no vote kick in TBC Classic, but even ignoring that, I don’t see why this shouldn’t be possible with the RDF, as you can completely ignore the RDF and build groups with people, that are looking exactly for the same social interactions as you.

Yes maybe, but do you have any proof, that this is just because of the RDF and not all the other features implemented in the game or even a general change of society and therefore playerbase?
I guess not.

I just can repeat myself. If you play with friends it’s a completely different experience, than running completely random most of the time. Even if you did an occasional random run, this will be barely enough to really form an opinion.

I don’t know which presumptions you mean, but what you described is actually not so far from what I’ve guessed.

I noticed that most players that dislike the RDF usually play a lot with their guild and friends. For them it’s important, to have fun with their social circle and the arguments usually reflect that, because the view on the community is different from somebody, that ran mostly random dungeons, because the interactions with the community largely consisted of interactions with people from the social circle. And this is absolutely fine, I would have actually loved, if I had friends still interested in WoW or if, I would have been accepted better into the guild I joined. In fact for me the social interactions just didn’t work out. No matter how many work I’ve put in, people were fine with taking my help, but when I needed something, I had to run random because everybody suddenly had no time or an ID or other shenanigans.

I can absolutely understand, that you fear the RDF might destroy your experience. I don’t think this would happen, but we can both just assume. We would only know for sure if Blizzard would add the RDF and we would see the changes.
But for me TBC Classic was almost unplayable without the RDF. Every time I had to run a dungeon, I was so wishing I could use the RDF. So WotLK Classic is not something I want to experience let alone pay for it.

But as the length of the posts is getting out of hand here I will stop replying.
Basically we’ve had different backgrounds and value different things in the game, that’s why we have different opinions about the RDF.

1 Like

So it was like two servers, then. It still does not compare to the player pool of cross-faction in retail (and, indeed, old school Wrath). You are talking about a subject you have absolutely no experience of.

This really sounds like a “you”-problem. So you make no effort to befriend the people you play with? You play with randoms every time? You never meet the same person again? Forgive me if I doubt that claim.

So 2019 was officially the last time I used the RDF in BFA. I didn’t enjoy doing it but you pretty much had to do randoms due to all the rewards tied to it. Is that a distant memory in your view?

There are many reasons as to why retail is the way it is. There is usually no need to communicate – so people don’t. When Classic first launched in 2019 I was afraid that all that talk about “server community” was just rosetinted nostalgia, but that was absolutely not the case. Being social in Classic comes easy because there is often a need to communicate. If I had to point at one thing that separates Classic from Retail then that is it.

My point is that people may start out as complete strangers but grow into friends as you get to know one another. In order for that to happen you kind of have to communicate. I don’t know how you’ve played Classic but based on my experience compared to yours it feels like you’ve been doing something wrong.

This is completely backwards. If this logic holds true, then retail would be the place where people socialize and find new friends and Classic would be the place where people play with friends and don’t communicate with strangers. Are you living in opposite-land? Or are you just a literal forum troll?

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more with this.

He’s not wrong though. Sure, numbers might not be exact obviously, but it’s not far off. I’d argue it’s as high as 95% of all dungeon runs I’ve had are completely silent (apart from the “hi” and “thx bb”).

Like many have tried to explain before: us, the players, and how we play, have already changed a long time ago. There isn’t any undoing it. Forcing on us a wotlk with no RDF (amongst other things) wont take us back in time and “fix” that.

To be fair, that is a heck of a lot smaller change to make then removing RDF all in all. A rather tiny change that, along with RDF, would benefit the players and their socialising as they could make friends cross server as well.

If you claim that server to be as big as for example Firemaw in classic you’re dead wrong. There is no server community on that server because of one simple fact: it is too big. You don’t come across all that many unfamiliar people that you recognize multiple times.
It is basically cross-server built into one server. It is that big.

4 Likes

Anti RDF-voters actually want the game to be as bad and unenjoyable as possible for casuals/non social players, that just want to play the game. By keeping them out or forcing them to play less, they have more like minded hardcore MMORPG players on their servers, which they think is a good thing. Its understandable from their perspective, but against the wishes of a huge part of the wow community, that just want to play the game.

There is not much to it regarding arguments, besides crossrealm matchmaking. These players are simply like the definition of toxic gatekeepers. Since there arent really good arguments against RDF besides their feeling that gatekeeping is a good thing for their social experience, it is nearly impossible to have a meaningful debate.

You’re talking as though this is a problem. Is it a problem? Is it not good to have a massive pool of players to draw from so you can get into your instances faster? Anyways, you seem to admit that the larger the player pool the more difficult it is for a community to form. Something I find myself agreeing with!

However, one puzzle piece does not quite fit. Krutoj said he was playing on a mostly dead server and apparently he was grouping up with randoms all the time. How that works I have no idea. Terrible short-term memory?

I’d describe myself as a casual. I am not part of a big raiding guild nor am I competitive in pvp – I play bits of everything. I want the content I play to matter, which is why I’m fully on board with Blizzard’s plans for WLK. As for non-social players… yes. If you want to be non-social in an MMO go play retail or any other more modern MMO. Classic should not appeal to those who seek a single-player experience.

The fact that you can’t recognize that the opposite side has “any good arguments” just shows how unwilling you are to actually debate this topic. I am staunchly opposed to the Dungeon Finder. I view it as being very damaging to the social aspect of the game. Nevertheless I can see the benefits of the Dungeon Finder (I’m fairly certain I’ve mentioned some of them in this thread). I can understand why some people want the LFD even if I disagree with it. Can you understand why some people don’t want LFD? Without demonizing them?

It doesnt matter what you describe yourself as. RDF is meant for players that dont have social bounds ingame and just want to play the game without much of social interaction. Wotlk was made for players in mind that you want to keep out.

Yes thats the argument and where it ends. I acknowledge that, but there isnt more to it besides the crossrealm argument.

I understand it, like I understand people who dont want immigrants in their country or poor people in the supermarket or to have to look at old people a the pool, because they are unsightly. Same level of argument.

2 Likes

This is what I am saying yes. The bigger the pool the better. Something RDF would help greatly with. More for people on small/deadish servers then us on bigger servers, but even us it would help greatly.

This is the worst of the worst argument.
First of all, we’re not anti-social simply because we want RDF in the game.
And even if that had been true, we could simply turn it around and tell you to stay in your social vanilla classic. Vanilla classic and wotlk classic is not the same thing (even though Blizzard is trying their best to turn woltk into vanilla).

As I, and many others, have been trying to tell you:

I’d say that originally it boils down to:

which in turn boils down to the easy access of numerous social internet platforms.

2 Likes

Well, thanks for proving my point. You really can’t show any understanding without demonizing, which means you don’t understand. And your comparison is ridiculous. Are you bunching me up with the alt-right as well, because of my preference in a video game?

It isn’t necessarily better. Cross-server isn’t inherently good, even if it does expand the player pool. Cross-server is highly problematic when it comes to a game’s ability to create a social atmosphere.

Consider pvp. When was the last time you made a friend through random battlegrounds? I am not saying that it is impossible, just that it is very improbable. For as long as I can remember the BG-chat has always been rather toxic. Things go well? GG EZ. Things go wrong? Everyone’s an idiot. No one is held accountable because, well, its part and parcel for BGs that most of us have come to accept.

Compare this to World pvp. Another “dead” aspect of the game. Yet think back to how it was before the times of server sharding. On my server (Ravenholdt), the world pvp scene was fairly active throughout both WLK and Cataclysm. The server forums were quite alive as well with people posting pvp-related threads and challenges. We had dedicated World pvp guilds like Zylos Hand, Tides of Misery, the Grey Company, Dark Saints etc. The banter was alive and well and people who wanted to get involved in World pvp would get to know the server celebrities.

My point now is not that World pvp is an active thing in Classic. On the contrary, seems people are content to roll on one-sided pvp servers for the sake of convenience. My point is that it was the server limitations (i.e. no cross-server) that gave rise to these things in the first place. To summarize it even further, my argument is that cross-server is not inherently good and there are legitimate reasons to oppose it. End statement.

1 Like

Its actually funny, because I totally get you, but you only think your means to keep players from playing the game are more justified than my (exaggerated) examples. In the end its still very similar in its reasoning.

1 Like