Would players like to see Warlock reworked?

From what i’v seen from both Warlock and non Warlock players is that people generally don’t like how Warlock is designed atleast in pvp. Affliction at the moment is designed to be hell to play and hell to fight against, as most players say its not satisfying winning or losing vs afflic but in the same token affliction is so reliant on borrowed power to be relevant. I don’t play destro so will let them speak for the design of it. As for demo most people would like to see it reworked the current iteration just won’t work for pvp as it can be easily overtuned, most players want Metamorph back but I don’t see it happening. Warlock’s base kit feels outdated and hard to balance, I would take nerfs in other areas like conduits and legendaries if it made the base class better to play. Would you like to see Warlock reworked? personally I would like demon armor replaced with something else.

6 Likes

I was going to type a wall of text with my thoughts and opinions, but realised that people wouldn’t care and rightly so.

Tl;dr - Yeah, rework the entire class. Destruction and Affliction are so one dimensional that whenever they aren’t over-tuned they’re unplayable. Conversely, whenever they are over-tuned they ruin arena for everyone else.

Demonology has the potential to be good, but needs an abundance of QoL tweaks before it can realistically be considered a serious option in PvP.

Also, give the class a real defensive JFC, people are dying through PS rn and Blizzard think that Unending Resolve is enough? :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hello, nice to meet you, warlock main since vanilla!

I say this not to have a medal of valor but simply because I have seen, unlike others, all the transformations, the black and the golden periods, the changes through the years.

I can talk for hours and hours about the fact that the class “at a certain point” was patch after patch, expansion after expansion, more and more stripped and deprived of many spells, talents not only useful, but definitely vital. But obviously I won’t do it here.

I will focus on the fact that according to my very personal point of view, the class has gradually lost more and more “identity”. And the worst peak we are seeing now.

The question is no longer whether the warlock is bad or good as a class, but what direction it has taken. I speak of the concept behind it, the “philosophy”, the “lore”. And then there is the discourse on playability, fun and gameplay.

Affliction: i hate the concept behind the current affliction infinitely. The fun of the gameplay is obviously personal, but in PVE it is a continuous dot-timer control with malelifc rapture spam. Many of us were disappointed by the unstable affliction spam on the target, they put it on malefic rapture.
PVP, the class is seriously hateful to play and play against. I would literally take the slow off, as I hate the fact that they made sure they had to tie you to the fairies and turn you into a bluish vulpin to run away all the time. The playstyle is hideous and has nothing to do with the original affliction’s concept.
The affliction warlock curses his enemies and slowly empties them with powerful drain to regain life, using powerful DOTs upon them and draintank them. Now what is it?

Destruction: I don’t like the current version, honestly. You are a light pole subject to any kind of damage while trying hard to cast chaos bolts to do damage. The feeling is that the spells are missing (fel flame… shadowburn execute…), and that outside the chaos bolt (by the way only with active CDs) the damage is minimal.
In a game where practically all casters are now able to do a lot of damage in moviment and with lots of instants and procs, is it so necessary to have to immobilize a class that is already slow on its own, moreover with long cast times?
Among other things, I would like to understand, sincerely, the correlation between hitting an enemy with a spell of fire and getting back soul shards. Wasn’t it much better to leave the MOP-born system with burning embers? Where could you heal yourself if you needed it or do damage depending on the moment of the game?

Demonology: assuming that the old, beloved Demonform was really the funniest thing in the game for my taste… They thought they wanted to make her “master summoner” now.
Ok. I much preferred the old design, but now we have this. The question I ask myself is: how can you give all classes an almost instantaneous burst and off the global CD and this spec, already battered by a really long and incomprehensible cast time for any spell… you give it additional cast time for tyrant?
P.s. bring back Demonform

1 Like

Cataclysm nailed Affliction for me.

The damage actually came from the DOTs themselves, no malefic rapture, no UA stacking either.
Felflame on the move was nice. You got the occasional Shadow bolt proc, which was a baseline thing and not a lame talent that nobody ever picks.

Good times.

2 Likes

Coincidentally, Destruction felt infinitely more enjoyable to play in Cataclysm also, even though it was regarded as pretty underpowered iirc.

I think that is one of the biggest problems with Warlock, people debate about the viability of it but I see everyone agreeing on one thing and that is the design is outdated. I would rather be underpowered but have the class be fun to play, its just very fustrating playing as afflicition especially in pvp.

3 Likes

Awww…there you go buddy :pinching_hand: :medal_sports:

:grimacing: oops… :medal_sports: :ok_hand: my bad sorry

1 Like

+1 for a complete warlock redesign

For me, its just no longer fun. You cant do any cool things anymore. I am having way more fun on my mage, with spells like alter time. Its just a fun spell to use, and you can do cool clutch things with it.

Warlocks just feel clumsy to play. Even the mobility you get is hard cast(if that makes sense).

Im not saying certain things arent strong about them, I am talking purely about the fun/entertaining aspect. They just dont seem to have that going for them anymore.

Warlocks have been boring since WoD. MoP was their Pinnacle followed by Wrath. Blizzard is completely incompetent and ignorant. Current dev team is 100% dog.

someone got back power infusion/intervene/etc cool stuff, and someone got back ritual of doom and castable corruption that no one use=)
ez peezee at its finest :man_shrugging:

Chaos Bolt hit for less in Cata than in Wotlk and still felt better to play than now, lol

The problem is now that Chaos bolt is basically the only big damage spell we have.

Fun >>>>>>>>>>> Overpowered

rather be not s tier but having finally a fun specc again.

As somebody who enjoys current affliction and rather kite-oriented gameplay, I disagree. But I would agree to adapt the cooldowns of mobility to adapt to warrior moblity. Like warlock only has 30 sec cooldown on gate and 30 sec on his teleport.

Some friend of mine even argued to split Unending Resolve in 2 seperate cooldowns or make Casting Circle baseline. Another go to look at it would make a warlock stun/interrupt immune while casting a fully stacked Unevitable Demise. It simply feels terrible to fake with it.

Other all I like current design of a kite heavy, bursty caster but it could be optimized that warrior do not have close to 100% uptime/pressure/disruption.

1 Like

I’m not so much against the current design of affliction more so how the base kit interacts with it as you said. Big problem I see is pvp talents they said they would be reworking them for 9.1 but unless they nerf the current strongest ones Demon armour, rapid and Rampant afflictions I can’t see any new ones being able to compete. I think the removal of demon armour could give Warlock a lot of fun toys in pvp blizz could double down on mobile warlock although other players would hate that. Good ideas btw :slight_smile:

This either needs to be baseline or removed. It makes no sense for it to be a talent since it’s just too good to pass on.
Kind of like how Mistweaver monks have a PvP talent that just says “increase vivify healing by 20%”. Like, why? Am I supposed to have the freedom of choice of not picking an “optional” talent that passively increases the healing output of my main ability?
Urgh. This is silly.

Everytime I see Demon Armour it just makes me think what the class could have without it :frowning:

Yep, I’d love to have AFF reworked so I can enjoy playing it again.
Honestly? In prepatch aff was insanely fun, no need to worry about the god damn shadows embrace, just playing the spec. Was giga fun.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.