WoW in its current form has at most only three years left

WoW in its current form has at most only three years left.

There is nothing more for the player character to accomplish

After shadowlands is concluded only the Void lords are left.

Once we conclude the inevitable Void Lord expansion WoW in its current form is done.

The only options left then will be WoW2 and a real time skip of at the very least a couple of decades.

2 Likes

Agreed. They wasted characters they could have filled entire expansions with in one content patch and we’re left with nothing.

They don’t even know what they’re doing anymore.

1 Like

Oh, predicting WoW’s doom, that’s new.

14 Likes

Nah, if it still makes money we can get 10 more expansions. Just from my head I can remember:

• Azjol-Nerub “underground expansion”
  • Dragon Isles
  • Other side of Azeroth
  • Next inevitable faction war expansion focusing on the old world
  • Ogre Continent of Draenor
  • K’Aresh
  • Time-travel to some different age ala WoD 2.0

WoW’s probably gonna be getting new content in 2030, unless Blizzard goes bakrupt or something.

5 Likes

If there is one thing I have faith in, it’s the writers ability to make new stuff up.

They have proven that they won’t let themselves be limited by things that are established, so they have all the creative space in the world.

1 Like

None of those options are remotely interesting in the current WoW setting.

Canonically we have beaten everyone worth beating with only the void lords left

There is nothing left for us in the current story.

There is no challenge or real struggle left.

The last real challenge and story was wrath of the Lich king.

Ideally personally i would like to see a timeskip of a 100 years after the void lords expansion where you have to build your new character up from level 1 in a new world with new stories new enemies and a fresh start.

2 Likes

I’ve received lots of criticism for saying this, but I think that what WoW needs is a big time skip.

End WoW and create WoW 2 with a new cast of characters (with a few old glories to ease the transition), and a fresh start for Blizzard to pump out new content even if by expanding on a set of “old but renewed” enemies.
Some examples being:

1. A new Burning Legion reformed under a new demon lord. Or new Old God forces, or whatever.
  2. New factional conflicts based around a system other that then original WoW Horde/Alliance one.
  3. New maps that show the passage of time.

Etc.

Yeah, in short, I think that the lore wound has festered for some time, and the story needs some fresh new beginning unburdened of the baggage that comes with the current setting.

5 Likes

But what if Sargeras told Illidan something, that could made him to change his mind, and Legion is reforged?
What if Yrel, decided to run light exterminatus?
What if Gods that created Light and Dark wants to purge the living?
What if Atrhas still alive, but in Alternative Azeroth, and plans invasion?
What if in the ocean, from other side of Azeroth, some Elements plans to retake their planet back?
What if on some planet, one of million planets, some race plans to invade Azeroth?
What if Dragon Islands do exist?

Just pay writers norm salary, and we are good to go.

btw, some troll tribe also can decide to retake Azeroth once again.

And you think Blizzard cares about that why? Do you think they’ll cease developing a game that’s printing money because “there’s no more story”?

I believe Keydiam (I might be misattributing here, if so, I apologize in advance) mentioned that they’ve wrapped up most of the worldbuilding laid out by previous writers, ie Old Gods, Legion etc. This gives the current time quite a lot of freedom in the direction and focus they want to write future storylines (though whether they will rehash old stuff is up for debate; looking at BfA, it’s quite likely they will).

1 Like

I am not sure. The Crystal Ball says four years left, the tea leaves say five. Should I pick one or calculate an average?

9 Likes

We have time travel. We have dimensional travel. We have space travel. We have magic dimensions. And we have authors who are willing to retcon anything at the trop of a hat. They can always pull another threat out of their butt, and I find it highly amusing that some people think they won’t.

2 Likes

These are good options that i would like to see as well

After a significant timeskip and with a new Character.

When you are Azeroth’s personal champion as our current character is non of those options are credible threats anymore.

What we have now is

New world Threat expansion
Grind until you reach max level explore new area
Do mythics and raids
Kill the big bad wash rince and repeat.

With a timeskip and a new character new stories can be developed and built upon And Blizzard can stop adding a new world ending threat every year and focus on world building.

Well
yes, and that worked for WoW for 15 years, really. Why think that it won’t be enough in the future?

I personally don’t want a time skip to make things even more crazy, I just want them to scale things down. But I’m quite sure neither of us will get their way.

1 Like

Because there are no credible threats left for the current player character we have concluded every story in the current WoW setting.

The yearly world ending threat has been played out after the void lords WoW in its current format is done

Its time for a Time skip and a new character and new stories to tell.

1 Like

We had an expansion where we had raid bosses like a troll who made deals with loa (totally new concept, never seen before!) and a
 erm, talented human mage, after the addon where we raided the Legion’s central hub, killed their commanders and faced a titan baby.

Credible threats don’t matter. At all. Fight mechanics and loot design do.

1 Like

We had people predicting wow dying before. At the end they looked like clowns when it continued on anyways.

We still have that Emerald Dream expansion left to do! Any year now!

You underestimate Blizzard’s ability to pull crap out of their rectal cavity.

2 Likes

oh then still arround is.

the burning legion, decimated but still much alive.
Azhara, she doesnt die it looks like.
Azeroth her self, who knows if she is corrupted or not eighter.
Elune, might actualy be a villain and not so good as she seems to be.
old gods, even if they seem dead doesnt meen they are.
Yrel, yes, she could come to us one day and start to turn all to the light or something like that, she does have an army now.
Tyrande, still not sure if she is gona go totaly crazy or not.
the scourge, they are loose now, no idea how strong they realy are.
KelÂŽthusad his phylactery is missing, so he could be back even more powerful now.
and god knows what monster that could be let loose from the shadowlands on Azeroth eighter.