WoW is P2W - Do you agree?

You are 100% right.

It does mean something. But not a degree of character performance like it used to.

I myself am a sucker for mogs. Specifically the “normal looking adventure style” mogs I enjoy so much. And go to great lengths to farm them.

And money has not helped that journey. You cant buy the mogs I like. You can only farm them old-school style.

1 Like

We share that sentiment! :blush:

I had no idea that a title could increase my damage. Its not mentioned at all on wowhead.
Do you have a list of the best titles to use with different specs? Would be good to pass that around, ill let my guild know as well and give them your name and server so they can come to you for advice.

2 Likes

Wrong in this case.

That is just cherry picking the history of raiding…

It used to be 40 man. And then, people complained that organizing a roster of 40 people is just crazy hard (which it is).

Also, the only people that could raid in later tiers of classic (Nax and AQ40) were the ones that cleared MC early in the game. The ones that wanted to raid mid-classic were blocked because nobody was raiding MC and could not start the “progress wagon” of raiding.

And as a result, many people in classic did not even get to raid at all !!!

So. TBC rolls allong : They did 25 man (only) in TBC. Blizz also streamlined the gearing process. And it was OK for a while.

But you still had issues with progression.

WotlK rolls arround, and THEN they experiment with 10 man. And they had different lockouts because if 25 and 10 had the same lockout, you would 100% for certain go to 10-man. Shared lockouts force you choose between (A) or (B). Cant do (A) and (B).

And why did they do 10 man? Because by the end of TBC VERY few people even managed to raid at all !!!

They did Black Temple and Sunwel and NOBODY cleared them. Out of the 10M or so people playing at the time, just thousands cleared those raids. Its like 0.00001% of the playerbase.

So its just natural that Blizz finds a way to get more people to do their content.

This had to do with : WotlK and a 8 month long patch of colisseum. Arguably the worst raid ever conceved. Followed by ICC that lasted for almost a year. And dont get me wrong, ICC was great. But Lich King was WAY overtuned for the base player, and it lasted for WAY too long.

YES. I told you what the problem was.

People did not want to play in empty servers. You had no LFG. To join a guild, recruit players, or even PuG stuff you literally needed to do it in the /trade chat. No other way.

And if there is NOBODY in said /trade chat, then you CANT do anything…

It was not a problem for a couple of servers. But it was a MASSIVE problem for the majority of servers.

And that is a problem caused not by blizz, but by players.

An Outlaw Rogue with the Insane title can one shot any boss in the game, except N’Zoth.

You’re being obtuse and I’m being crafty.

Let’s drop the charade, okay?

Your point is that titles don’t give you extra power, so therefore they’re meaningless, and so is the means of their acquisition, unless you personally find them appealing.

My point is that the title demonstrates that a player did express extra power in the setting it was earned, as that is the accomplishment the title represents. And that design only works so long as the premise is upheld that the player only obtains the title through a superior expression of power – and not through a monetary purchase.

1 Like

Yeah but is that actually “wining”? A lot of people do pay attention to the amount of keys you have run at particular levels. It’s so easy to spot a monkey it’s laughable.

So my point being that by buying boosts, sure you get the achievements but you instantly become a social pariah to people who know what to look for. And even if they don’t the boosted people get kicked from the groups. The probability of a boosted person completing another key (without improving their skill obv) is very small, because very few people actually want to boost someone (again) for free.

1 Like

Ok you are right, i am. But i will say that in the above quote you used the word power. It was most likely not power that won the title but skill.
I dont do pvp but my understanding is that when you get to the top of the ladder its player skill that mainly makes the difference ( assuming we arent talking about a huge ilvl gap)

But we all know that boosts exist and always have so we all take a grain of salt with anything like this.
Even before tokens boosts existed.
And also there are carries (a free boost). I’ve been carried in raids, I got the N’Zoth drake mount (pretty nice one, I use it on my warlock). I didn’t pay for that raid carry, some kind folk did me a favour. Should I be banned for that?

But by banning it, it creates more problems. The boosters will just be a little bit more hush-hush about it and still continue to exist, and then you have the question how do you differentiate between a player who got his friends to carry them and player who paid gold for a carry.

Imo the only real way to deal with boosting is to stop punishing the scammers. Letting weeds grow is a very effective way to kill a garden.

Impossible. I have not missed a single Dragonflight World Quest with Warmode, that has rewarded gold and I make less than 50k per week.

In a week the following are approximately available
20 dragonriding quests ~= 11k gold
On average 2 WQ per zone reset that give around 650 gold each → 20 quests of 650g each and adding 10% warmode bonus ~=15k gold
2 Nokhud Arenas per week is also around another 2k-3k gold depending on if it also drops additional gold on top of its base gold
Around 5k-10k gold if you also stop and farm Tuskarr tackleboxes and Scout packs etc while flying around.
Around 5k from handing in the weekly quests in Valdrakken, Loamm Niffen and Emerald Dream.

That comes to somewhere between 40k-45k per week which is 200k-225k per month. And doing all of the above is not casual, it’s borderline hardcore. The above is easily more than 5 hours per week spent on running around the world alone.

Right. And like I said, I was being crafty by equating power with skill. And that’s certainly debatable, i.e power is arguably the objective potential and skill is the individual expression of that potential.
But it all works for me, because buying rewards for gold through money is neither an expression of power or skill or any other noteworthy trait that you would otherwise want to associate with those rewards.

Yes. A grain of salt. Not an entire freaking salt mine!

The problem is not so much whether or not WoW is P2W, but the extent and magnitude of it.

And I will say it’s a lot, and it’s more than ever before. And the trend doesn’t seem to be changing.

1 Like

Progressing account. Progressing the account? How, unlocking achievements by adding a few pets and mounts to your library?
Pff, come on…seariousley…nobody cares about another players achievment points.

Progressing the account by buying tokens to pay someone to pull you through a raid to get items, unlock titels/achievements? Yeah, seen that since vanilla, move on.

Oh…wait…progressing the account by buying tokens to buy high level gear from the AH and/or level boosts from the store to save time with your trillionthstthst twink?
No…no, no P2W here either, just saving time.
No, saving ones time is not P2W. Why? Because nobody cares how quick someone levels their chars, unless they are in a social envoirement where you want to progress stuff toghether.
And those who raid boost/level boost their chars without knowing how the heck their chars and/or the game function don’t gain ANTYHING from their money because nobody will play with them because their utterly useless in content.

As I said, people boosting by tokens because they are too plainly bad fopr the content won’t provide them anything because nobody will play with them.
And achievements, nobody cares for your achievements.

Maybe raiders/PvPers who set certain achivements as a requirement to join their group, but when you got the achievement because you got it boosted just results in you being removed from the group again because your useless.

Not if they go hard at it.
Hire actual humans who check out channels and forums and discord for offenders.
Dedicated staff for this task. After a certain amount of time the need for people like that will become less, once people realize it’s just not worth the risk.

To me they’re both bad. I say: Ban all of it.

Yes that’s extreme and yes that won’t go down well with certain people.
But I truly think it’s for the best.

Oh no, I definitely don’t agree with that. Scammers, as well as regular boosters should be permabanned.

1 Like

Well, WoW is pretty low end when it comes to P2W, you can’t buy anything that can not be done in game for free.

50k a week, 200k per month. I have 8 max level chars. I can even chill out and cherrypick.

That’s not entirely true.

Blizzard have sold several Transmog + Traders Tender bundles that could only be bought with money.

And although the transmog would find their way to the Trading Post eventually, then the Traders Tender is a limited currency. So any extra you can purchase for money can’t be acquired through other means.

Technically the Amazon Prime subscription rewards is pure P2W as well. You can’t buy that with gold either. Only money.

So, like they were before they were obtainable via prime because they were TCG exclusive? Kay.

You do know that you just have to wait some time to be able to buy them for tenders again, yes?

You’re spending hours and hours going through all those quests across the Dragon Isles twice a week on 8 characters.

Let’s not inflate this notion that gold just rains from the sky and people are making millions in seconds and they don’t even have to lift a finger!

People who proclaim that are flaunting their ego.

And what is it everyone says in here about other people’s accomplishments?

That no one cares, right?

Yeah.

1 Like

Yeah but the total tenders are limited.

Each month you can earn x amount of tenders in-game.
And if you buy specific expansion editions and Online Store bundles, then you can get y+z amount extra.

If you don’t buy those extra tenders, then you’re always going to be behind that amount of tenders versus someone who did buy them.

Because you have no way of making up the difference by playing the game.

And because there are always more things on the Trading Post than anyone can afford, the person who spends money on tenders is ultimately going to be able to buy more things on the Trading Post than the person who doesn’t spend money.