"You were followed!" "I followed THEM"

Probably cause they failed. Undead nelfs excel at failing.

2 Likes

Even without factoring the lack of pointy ears - profile too short to be night elf, right height for a human female, relative to an orc.

Or simply d) Stalk and keep an eye on Thrall ???

Didnt know you know what Sylvannas is thinking lol.

You must be a 4D chess player too huh?

1 Like

While I tend to advocate the concept of taking material like this at face-value, I have to contradict myself by simultaneously expressing just how depressing it is that people don’t seem to want to think beyond it.

People assume Saurfang wasn’t prepared (despite claiming he followed the assassins) without contemplating the fact that walking around unarmed would be the perfect bait, and best way to avoid giving the illusion that he’s not following a threat.

One way or another, Thrall has been motivated. This could have been the goal all along. I certainly don’t believe a measly duo of Rogues alone would be sent by Sylvanas to accomplish the actual death of Thrall, which seems extremely unlikely in both practice and execution, unless they were sent to fail (or for some other reason). We’re all also assuming that they were sent to kill one or both - that might not have been the case at all, outside of the fact that they attacked.

With all the faction-splintering, a lot of which was done by Sylvanas personally, it seems to me that it will be less about deposing her and more about setting up the foundation for a completely new Horde from the ground up. Failing that, to get Thrall off his green backside and back into the fold. He certainly wouldn’t do so if she had paid him a visit in Nagrand for a chat over a cup of tea, whereas threatening his home… His wife and child? That certainly would.

In short, yes, take it at face value until we get more context behind it all in future, but don’t take it as gospel. There will no doubt be curve-balls thrown down the road, especially if they genuinely do live up to their statement of this certainly not being another Garrosh incident, no matter how parallel it looks right now.

1 Like

Loved the cinematic, but I was wondering: how would Saurfang shadow two rogues and not be spotted doing so? Two assassins heading to their target would normally cover their approach - unless they’re suffering from brain rot.

It’s not like Saurfang isn’t super bulky, bright green and reddish leather, in open fields… you might want to wait until he leaves again before attacking Thrall… it was the worst timing ever.

This may sound a bit crazy… but could this have anything to do with Wrathion at all?

Hints of him are popping up on the ptr, and although it has been said his story will not continue in BFA I can’t help thinking that we are leading to some kind of Dragon Isle expansion/feature as he is looking for the isles himself while having no luck.

He has interfered before…

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Unscarred_Black_Scale_(quest)

https://www.wowhead.com/news=291564/blacktalon-agents-of-wrathion-in-rise-of-azshara

• Original Horde leaders who formed Horde together:
    Thrall, Saurfang, Vol’jin, Cairne
  • People who declared by Sylvanas as “the enemy of the Horde”:
    Thrall, Saurfang, Vol’jin (dead), Baine (son of Cairne)

And some players really really believe that Sylvanas is the “Warchief” and Saurfang is the traitor?
Ahahaha. Those players are really funny.

They just want to see a truely evil Undead Faction, and don’t really care about “Horde”.

4 Likes

Yeah, they don’t care about the Horde that slaughtered its way to “freedom” and plunged Lordaeron into chaos.

Vol’jin is never declared as the enemy.
Other 3 are traitors at some point.

Saurfang is the reason for horde inner conflict, because at the top of his decision and the war, that he start and leed, Saurfang begin the very first trait move versus Sylvanas, left Malfurion.

So from your list, Saurfang is traitor, Baine is traitor. Thrall is just new on table, but in traitor side. Don’t touch Vol’jin.

Traitors only if you side with Sylvanas, who has betrayed all that the Horde stands for. This split within the horde makes it hard to say who is the traitor… because it depends on whose side you’re on.

4 Likes

In the beginning point, there was only one side, Sylvanas. Saurfang make traitor step first. Everything else is after that. He is the reason /and stupid writers/ to have again horde inner conflict.

So we have traitor, freed by alliance and you just ignore his traitor move, because side with him. Saurfang is traitor No.1, he step in it without honor and he was alone with his mind and just ignore Sylvanas direct order.

In military, if you do this, will get same fate as traitor.

Talking about Thrall. He was the fella who wrote this here as first official law of the Horde(written down law, not just vocal).
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Blood_Oath_of_the_Horde

"Lok’tar ogar! Victory or death - it is these words that bind me to the Horde. For they are the most sacred and fundamental of truths to any warrior of the Horde.

I give my flesh and blood freely to the Warchief. I am the instrument of my Warchief’s desire. I am a weapon of my Warchief’s command.

From this moment until the end of days I live and die - For the Horde!"

By his own words and rules, they joined into a team of traitors.

3 Likes

That argument would be true if Sylvanas started the Horde, which is not the case. There is a whole history of pre-Sylvanas Horde.
Fair enough, the Forsaken have always been frowned upon, especially by Garrosh, and if not for the whispers Vol’jin heard, Sylvanas would have never been on the throne - it’s not her fault that she’s in a position she doesn’t belong and where she really didn’t want to be, initially. She never cared much about the Horde - she cared about the protection it gave her fledgling people.

I grant you that the Alliance meddling was completely unnecessary story-wise, but being freed by an enemy does not make Saurfang a traitor. It made Anduin an idiot.
But it’s clear that these are the seeds of peace being sown for the next expansion, which is unfathomable in the current state of things.
In the next xpac we will probably be hugging together again against a mutual foe… you can already see it happening and it’s boring as hell. I’d rather focus more on this faction war, by deepening it, than having another mutual threat to Azeroth… it’s getting silly now. So yes, I prefer this war to get worse for the benefit of the story, but not with Sylvanas at the helm… for her sake and the Horde’s.

I love Sylvanas as a character and I’m sure she has quite a story still to tell, but making her warchief was a mistake from Blizz, because they sacrificed too much to get her there and the writing was pulled completely off track to make it so. She belongs in the shadows of things, not in the spotlight.

Yes and no. It’s clear that you like authoritarian leadership, but that’s just a preference, not truth.

Firstly, since you went there: If this was military, Sylvanas would have been deemed unfit for being commander in chief. She doesn’t consider or care about consequences to her actions, which will be lethal in war. She also has no talent for keeping her army together. She and her people still are a minority faction, after all, she will have to embrace the other races to keep up morale, or face rebellion.

Secondly, being in command does not automatically make you a good leader nor does it make every decision you make the right one. There are plenty of examples to find in history where direct orders were ignored for good reasons because the leader is just incompetent, unnecessarily brutal or going against the wishes of those following.

Loyalty is not a virtue, nor is faith, if you don’t have your own moral compass to compare it against. In this case, you can’t ignore the fact that more than half of the Horde races openly have moral issues with Sylvanas’ leadership - even if you don’t agree with their complaints - and she doesn’t care. She’s not leading, she’s going her own way and the rest is forced to tag along, getting more and more disgruntled. That you like “her own way” is good for you, but not for the Horde.

2 Likes

For military it’s yes for sure. No one will keep you in organisation if you don’t follow orders. There is no exception, specially when leader stay the same.

Here you broke things. We have current warchief and past of who create horde and what you honor much. These are different timelines. In present Saurfang is traitor to not execute Malfurion, he leed this warr, he begin this war in Darkshore, but when he need to take action, Saurfang just became traitor. I am sure Sylvanas test his loyalty and he just became traitor. This is the fact, there is no matter who horde is, who made it and what was before. You have soldier that don’t do direct orders. Yes, Blizzard made it well to be the good side, but in military organisation, it’s not.

Personally vision of killing Malfurion is too much for nelfs and their future. World Tree was major emblem for WoW and still blame Blizzard for what they do with him.

But here I think, if we have executed Malfurion, this will save the WorldTree and innocent nelfs, so see his act as worse for nelfs and their future. It’s not only traitor move, he is murder to this innocents.

Dude, if you would read “Before the storm” you would know that Sylvanas only cares about herself. She wanted that she could control new seader, she hated that the forsaken created their council. Dude, she don’t cares about anyone, she only cares for herself and maybe her lapdog but that’s it.

2 Likes

Sylvanas displays the kind of utilitarianism that serves the Horde too.
Certain people don’t need a loving leader. They just need someone that keeps them fighting for their interests or working towards goals they can tag along with.

1 Like

Recently, I’ve been thinking that maybe - just maybe, Sylvanas is causing all of this trouble to try and unite the Horde as it was when she first joined it, when the Blood Elves first joined it - and to actually fight back against the evil of the Void and the Old Gods.
Now, I would have thought that Sylvanas loyalists deserve something. I think, what should have been done would be a mission whereby loyalists venture deep into Zin’Azshari, with Sylvanas and the Blade and uncover something that can help turn the tide for them.
This could have been used at the Temple of Elune in Zin’Azshari, and we see some more developments regarding Sylvanas’ thoughts on Elune - perhaps a reference to Tyrande and Elune’s interference with not killing Malfurion.

Now, let’s take a look at what she and Nathanos are scheduled to talk about in 8.2.
“The blade will guide you to the rendezvous.”

The Blade herself knows of Queen Azshara and the Naga and seemingly, it takes them directly above Zin’Azshari and Nazjatar.
A recent interview suggested that Blizzard wanted to focus on Azshara and Sylvanas in 8.2.
You know, despite it all, Jaina isn’t actually all that important in 8.2. She hardly shows up during the 8.2 questlines, and we only see her at the start of the Eternal Palace and for Azshara’s Encounter.
I’d say Shandris and Thalyssra are the main stars of Nazjatar.

But going back to Sylvanas, I’m quite curious as to where they will take her character after 8.2. I don’t believe we’re killing Azshara, but I do believe we might get more of these 2 after 8.2. and possibly, find out if their was/is a link between Sylvanas and Azshara, through Xal’atath

But that’s not the Horde we want! It seems that Vol’jin was just too good for the Horde, just like Cairne, no, they deserved the embodiment of cringe. Ladies and gentlemen, here is the one and only Sylvanus Edgerunner! Plot decices, all of them! Since Thrall they never had a normal activite leader. They had the chance with Vol’jin, but it seems that Sylvanas fitted better to be the second mad warchief.

1 Like

That’s why i phrased it as certain people.
Also, if you truly think that said sort of ruthless mindset isn’t something certain Horde segments want/understand, you have not paying attention to several Horde races.

And you are deluding yourself if you think that the opposite mindset wouldn’t or hasn’t turned about as abrasive and divisive.
There is a reason Garrosh ended up quite popular for plenty orcs in Cataclysm.

A faction should be focused on all of their members and that’s a fact. If we always get biased/selfish/ignorant Warchiefs it isn’t great.