Zandalari Shaman v Druids

Are these two classes effectively the same thing in lore? Is it just a game mechanic thing? I’m having a hard time differentiating them story wise…

I summoned Zakkaru. scratches head

Started replying, then I remembered I have literally no source on how Zandalari shamans get their powers. Is it a loa thing? Do they come from the elements? No idea.

1 Like

No they’re fundamentally different.
Druid is about shapeshifting, control of the growth and beingin tune with wildlife.

Shaman on the other hand is mystic, spiritualist and tribal sorcerer who can also control elementals and commune with spirmal spirits. Shaman seeks to alco maintain balance but among spirits and elementals.

Druid in cycle of life and death, in the wildlife between flora and fauna, sun and moon.

10 Likes

This isn’t exactly specific to Zandalari shamans, but here is a quote from a Taunka shaman (of course Taunka shaman are a bit different from other shamans):

Too often, we are mistaken for druidic types. perhaps that’s true for some shaman, but do not let yourself be plagued by the ignorant belief that we are always peaceful.

Nothing about what I do is harmonious. I command the elements to my will. There is nothing offered in return. I would have it no other way.

4 Likes

I was thinking more specifically to our gilded troll friends. As they don’t really seem to be much about Cenarius etc. I get how druids and shaman differ usually, but in the context of Troll lore they feel the same a bit.

Don’t they both deal with loa and spirits?

It’s my understanding that Zandalari druids are mostly of 2 schools: the Raptari, mainly followers of Gonk, and the Lun’alai

For shaman, it’s probably spirits.

Though the trolls do view any being worthy of reverence as a loa

Trolls never had ties to Cenarius, they became druids thanks to Gonk. He shown them how to shift to emerald dream so they could perfect their hunting abilities and how to shapeshift.

Troll druids are more about shapeshifting, and using those abilities in direct combat or to commune with various beasts.
They’re not like elven sages who are keepers of the goove or like tauren druids who are far more traditional take on class.

As for Shaman, that is more tricky. As it’s a combination of true elementalists like we saw in Throne of thunder, Zandalari had wavebinders, strombringers and such amond their rank, the path to Horridon is a pain because of one Zandalari shaman is blowing a strong wind to push people offbridge.

They have witch doctors - so typical tribal sorcerer that deals with spirits, and controls basic elemental magic and voodoo.

And they also have those who channel elemntal powers directly from Loa. Like priest of Akuna can call for lightning and rain.

So shaman class can cover 3 aproaches on how they get that power.

4 Likes

I’d say they added onto those elements from ToT.

And that you can approach a lot of ‘subtypes’ and ‘specializations’ we seen in ToT and in Zandalar with both classes. I can see Restoration Druid play the role of a more dedicated Healer using natural magic. And Balance to even perhaps play the ‘wind’ fellow we see in Throne.

It’s kinda difficult - and unfair - when NPC’s can use all manners of unique abilities and different sets of armour to reflect their stuff, so we as players can only really do so much and self-implication restrictions is just going to make it difficult.

2 Likes

I’m fairly positive their NPCs were true shamans. Druids have different visuals.

But now offtopic - how do you enjoy your Zandalari? xD

1 Like

True agreed there. Now if only those DInomancers were the DInomancers we could be. I want to turn into a Raptor, not… whatever you call a Sabertusk is.

Also, i’m enjoying it! The animations are just awesome. Such a breath of fresh air!

Also doing mythic+ in Atal’dazar and King’s Rest feel just a bit more immersive. Gives the feeling you’re really trying to make things better for your homeland.

4 Likes

They have no Shadowmelt as Druid. It feels always that there is missing something. Oh and the Legion travel form doesn’t work. But they look cool…

But they have extra glider and money icome. And why would you transform to owl when you can be pterrodax?

2% isn’t much and I can buy goblin glider with 2 min CD. It isn’t comparable to Shadowmelt.

Yeah, this Arakkoa form looks pretty cool. So bad that they doesn’t gave her more animations. There was always a glyph as alternative for the owl.

I know but it’s still something. In order to have this racial you need to play on blue team. Horde has other things to offer.

Owl on troll looks goofy, I’d give a lot to let Darkspears share travel forms with Zandalari as turning to silly stag is immersion breaking.
At least they could update cheetah form - at least it’s fast exotic predator that can somewhat fit with with trolls.

1 Like

And what have they to offer for me?

Yeah or you vould just use the glyph like the most people do.

Taunka is the closest we have to friendly Dark Shamanism.

1 Like

I don’t know where you’re aiming at. If you want go play nelf druid. Playing Zandalari is a choice. either take what they give or stick to what you like best.

1 Like

I give them a try. Feral is amcaro, actually so I can life without it. They look pretty cool but Blizz have still much work left. :wink:

I’d wager Dark Irons also come close, though I haven’t unlocked them yet, or done the Alliance war campaign

True. Forgot about them as theirs is a rather recent example.
But yeah, theirs is definetly the kind of shamanism that could be categorised as Dark.
I mean, they literally have a quest in which they bind a Molten Giant to do the exact same thing Garrosh got called for in Northwatch (and that introduced what would be afterwards called Dark Shamanism).

1 Like