Zekhan's knowledge about the word "erosion"

Hello friends. Today we will discuss an important topic that grinds quite a lot of gears on Twitter. Why would a young jungle Troll from the Echo Isles know the word “erosion”?

Uhh, why would he not know about it?

1 Like

It’s a tough word.

Because people of color (blue and green, presumably), have a rich history, and treating them like savages is an evil trope that is part of racism. Against people whose culture you would compare to troll culture, I presume. Trolls come from a grand tradition with science and all of that, and Zekhan is a shaman, so the environment is his field of study. So the reason that people (citicens of the United States of Twitter) assume that he didn’t know it, is probably prejudice against mud hut dwellers.

Or that’s the idea.

1 Like

He’s ONE Troll from ONE backwater village in the south seas. People who pretend he represents all “Troll” or “Black” culture want him to represent “all Troll” and “all Black” culture.

What makes you think that they couldn’t observe water eating away at rocks? They might not call it erosion, in troll languege, but they’d still likely have a word for it.

1 Like

Gurubashi, Amani and Drakkari built the actual Troll civilizations. A young shaman from a backwater tribe who lives in huts shouldn’t know these big words.

It seems Lor’themar taught Zekhan how to write. Not sure if they mean that Lor’themar taught him to write normally, or in rhymes, since Lor’themar is actually quite the poet…

Now the Blood Elves could teach the Amani how to write, too…if they are willing to listen instead of being hostile all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

No, Erevien, you see, being a Troll means he knows all the big words by virtue of being a Troll and if he doesn’t know them, it’s indicative of racism by Blizzard authors. Even the stupidest troll from the smallest of villages in the most remote islands must have an extensive vocabulary and in-depth scientific knowledge. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yea that basically, if erosion is a phenomenon that’s part of their everyday environment there’s just no reason why they wouldn’t have a word for that
I haven’t read the book so I have no opinion on the matter but people being touchy about that is easily understandable considering how in WoW poor language (e.g. Low Common) is always associated with lesser intelligence. Which is remarkably stupid for obvious reasons
Let’s also keep in mind that in WoW nothing indicates that Trolls are less intelligent than other races

And those guys all collapsed. Seems like mud huts are actually the way to go lmao

Not really. Those tribes have the chance to rise again since I doubt we wipe ALL of them out. I wait for the day that all troll sjoin the Horde to get back at the alliance tbh.

People get butthurt over things which really aren’t that much big of a deal. SO what If Zekhan is just a filthy savage without knowledge of erosion? How does that affect the bigger lore in any negative way? Literally nobody gets hurt if Zekhan is not that civilized.

1 Like

Pretty sure that people are not hurt by Zekhan being « uncivilized », but by the fact that a white, blond, formerly blue eyed male from a race that looks very human taught him how to read.

1 Like

Sacked at least twice, and then remnants also butchered during throne of thunder, maybe some of them lives in slums in Dazar’Alor

Was it not horde that did the first sacking of Zul’Gurub and Zul’Aman ?

If that’s true it is stupid for many reasons. Not only would Lor’themar Zekhan not though Zandali, he wouldn’t be able to read Zandalai scripts and if even Darkspear shamans wouldn’t learn to read… well there would be a lot lost.

Not sure where this idea comes from.

I know it’s a joke, but you know even Amani walls are full with scripture?

1 Like

It was humans together with high elves who defeated the Amani in the troll wars and forced them to live in small borders. It was night elves who humiliated the Zandalari and pushed them back until they didn’t control their empire any longer. And it was Stormwind who pushed back the Gurubashi. All in all you can say the alliance harbors all the races who are the most ancient enemies of all trolls.

Why not though? Even now the germans have words that the Dutch do not even if they’re things used in everyday life.

Kinda like the Dutch’s “gezellig” that does not even have a equal translation in almost any language… cozy comes close but we call that knus.

1 Like

I mean, with the Zandalari with the Horde, its hella likely that they will. We even have the Revantusk Tribe that has joined the Horde full time since Cataclysm (GIEF PLAYABLE FOREST TROLLS!). Now we just need the Ice trolls and then Farraki.

4 Likes

Ofc pretty much all languages have their own untranslatable (or imperfectly translatable) concepts. Especially cultural, emotional concepts (stuff like “saudade” in portuguese…). For pretty straightforward natural phenomena like waves eating rocks away though… I hardly imagine a seaside population not having a word for it, because since it’s something they witness on a daily basis, they just need an effective way to refer to it
Cool dutch example!!!

3 Likes

Shatterspear Tribe, Zandalari Tribe, Revantusk Tribe, Darkspear Tribe are the only Horde tribes at the moment.

Maybe the Dark Horde tribes joined too when the Blackrock and Dragonmaw Clans also joined the Horde? (SMolderthorn and Firetree tribes iirc).

Alright, I admit you make a valid point. Personally I don’t see it as unreasonable as some people make it out to be but :man_shrugging:

1 Like

At the moment, yeah.

But it’s more likely that the rest would join now that the Zandalari is part of the Horde.

2 Likes