Gold has to be important in diablo iv, this is why

Just look back to older games in the series, gold was worth alot (at least in Diablo 1.) and you needed it to survive. I hope gold is important in Diablo IV and not useless and not worth anything.

In real world you need money to survive. Just an example about how important gold should be.
If it’s useless, why even have gold in game?

1 Like

It’s not useless.
Have you seen the gold cost to empower high level GRs…

5 Likes

+1 to Meteor.
If you can’t survive without gold in a game then it’s a poorly designed game. Imagine: No gold? You’re dead! Game over!
Gold is extremely useful in D3 (also the reason why doing the challenge rift in the start of every season gives you a boost). Besides empowering rifts gold is used for many other crucial things and it’s surprising that Nortroll doesn’t know that - unless he’s trolling? Nor… troll hmm.

Really? It’s just a damn nickname. Nor = Norwegian. Troll = Ogre. Nortroll, got it? Or do I have to spell it for you. I’m just saying Diablo gold has to be important in Diablo 4. Have you played Diablo 1? Money is worth a lot, and you need money to survive. Without it, it’s hard to play. You need to play the game to understand what I meant, I don’t think anyone here understand what I meant.

1 Like

The implication was that you didn’t think gold was important in Diablo III.

1 Like

The reason I call you troll is because you usually come with extreme, exaggerated and often illogical claims.
Sure I played Diablo 1 a lot and also D2 and now D3. There are always things, resources, stuff, items that you have to work hard for in this kind of games. So hard that it can become a tedious chore that takes a lot of the fun out of the game. Diablo 3 has changed a lot through the years. The developers have changed a lot of things. Some things are easier to get now compared to before but that has kept the game fresh and appealing and streamlined to most players.

And PS. Gold is still important in D3. What you mean is probably that it should be harder to get and not come in so great abundance. Oh I remember the “fun” in earlier Diablo games where you had to spend a lot of time farming gold for buying potions in order to fight monsters.

Maybe on higher difficulties where you used loads of them but still money from monsters was always enough for potions and the Cube did free combinations.
Most of the time you’d use the gold, which was in excess, to gamble.
In the first Diablo game, you needn’t had to worry since the game was basically one way, calculated. Sooner or later you had all you needed to buy the more powerful items. Of course, unlike the other Diablo games, this one required less mistakes. Dying meant game over and any HP you lost was a risk.

In Diablo III, finding gold is most definitely not hard to do.

Finding Greater Rift Keystones, even though they are guaranteed drops at the end of a Nephalem Rift, is the chore. I get more gold in a single pass Torment16 NR with Boon of the Hoarder equipped than I’ll use with all four keystones to run GR105.

I think what Nortroll meant was that Gold in Diablo III is worthless because its too easy to find?

As I also said, the game has been streamlined over the years. The mats and gems and gold etc to get the items have been made easier to get. An example is the cube with all it’s recipes.

Maths says no.

I ran 10 Torment 16 Nephalem Rifts solo with a max rank Boon of the Hoarder gem equipped.

Gold before the T16 runs

Gold after each successive T16 run…

1. 12,211,264,188
  2. 12,315,579,972
  3. 12,531,762,392
  4. 12,651,267,008
  5. 12,797,256,736
  6. 12,910,848,472
  7. 13,035,837,536
  8. 13,186,542,323
  9. 13,320,962,383
  10. 13,470,474,723

Okay, so the gold earned was…
13,470,474,723 - 12,084,127,220 = 1,386,347,503‬

At Torment 16, the Guardian is guaranteed to drop 3 GR keys, with a 50% chance of a 4th key.
That means, on average, running 10 T16 rifts will result in 35 GR keys.

Okay, so that brings us to running empowered GRs.
You said you’re running empowered GR105s.

Gold cost to empower a GR105…

Gold reward from completing a GR105…

Net gold cost to run an empowered GR105…
96,000,000 - 32,032,586 = 63,967,414

Net gold cost to run 35 empowered GR105s…
35 * 63,967,414 = 2,238,859,490

Gold earned whilst farming 35 GR keys = 1,386,347,503‬
Gold spent whilst running 35 GR105s = 2,238,859,490

That’s a gold deficit of…

In order to break even, the net cost to run 35 GRs has to be no more than this much per GR…
1,386,347,503‬ / 35 = 39,609,928

The gold reward for completion of a GR is approximately a third of the cost to empower it.
That means to break even the cost to empower each GR can be no more than…
( 39,609,928 / 2 ) * 3 = 59,414,892

The cost to empower GR89 is 59,000,000
The cost to empower GR90 is 61,000,000

So, running T16 Nephalem Rifts, even with a max level Boon of the Hoarder, will only supply enough gold to fund the empowering of GR89s. Once you’re empowering GRs at any level higher than that, and you’ll run out of gold very rapidly.

2 Likes

@Meteorblade, this is why we usually do not agree with one another. Because you have turned playing games into a science.

I’m not saying that maths has no place, because it does. Just not when I’m playing games.

Regardless, it doesn’t matter much anyway. My non-season stash is carrying about 191,000,000,000 in gold. Before Patch 2.6.8 went live, this was at about 176,000,000,000. In the month since, I’ve recorded an increase of around 15,000,000,000 even when including the expense of empowering enough Level 105 Rifts to upgrade 7 Level 100 Gems for augmenting.

This is my point, and that of Nortroll and others. Yes, there are ways and means of spending the in-game gold, but they are not sufficient. At the end of each Diablo gaming session, we always end up with more gold than with what we started. This is why we say that in-game gold is useless.

Yes, that tends to happen if you make a claim that is false and I show why.

My maths proves that there’s enough of a gold sink if you’re empowering GRs at any level higher than GR89. Heck, I didn’t even include sinks like using the Mystic to re-roll properties on items, which cost exponentially more gold with each successive attempt, non-legendary gem combines, and so on.

The issue isn’t that the gold sinks are insufficient, it’s that you’re not using the sinks. So, you were running GR105s to get some gems for augments. Okay, great, now get another 13 gems (e.g. for another hero) and level them all to rank 125 and see how quickly you run out of gold.

2 Likes

As far as not using the gold sinks is concerned, you’re mistaken in thinking that I don’t us them. Because I do. I just don’t “break the bank” when enchanting properties by foolishly trying over and over again to (for example) change “998 Intelligence” to “1000 Intelligence”. I draw a line and eventually decide when the rolls are good enough.

THAT’S why I have an excess of gold. Be it non-season or season. I always end up with more gold than the hero can properly use.

That’ll be hard to do considering that when I play season, I pick a class and go with it, without playing any other class.

The only reason I “resurrected” my old Wizard was to test the new Typhons Veil set, and was not in the mood to level a new wizard to 70 from scratch. My new Season 20 Wizard is reserved for group play use when my niece is at home from school. At all other times I play non-season.

Again, you use a very bad example. Mainstat is rarely rerolled on an item. We usually reroll something else where getting the max stat can be a lot more important.

3 Likes

I proved that if all you did was T16 rifts and empowered GR105s, you’d be at a deficit of 800 million gold per 10 rifts / 35 GRs. As you claim to be gaining a gold surplus, you’re clearly either doing way more rifts, much lower GR levels, or not empowering them.

Yes, because the number and level of GRs that you’re empowering isn’t high enough to drain your gold. Out of interest, whilst I farmed some GR keys yesterday my gold total went to just over 15 billion. I had three gems I needed to level up to 110 today. Did a lot of speed-90s to get the gems to 80, then went up to 94s, 99s, 104s and 109s. I’m back down to around 12 billion.

If you recall, when I posted yesterday I had 13.4 billion gold. That means I’m down 1.4 billion gold in a day. If I was playing non-seasonal, I’d be taking gems all the way up to 125, and I’d probably be down by 2.5-3 billion in a day. Again, the sinks are there. You’re just not using them.

2 Likes

No-one would re-roll that, as 2 INT difference is about as trivial a difference as you could possibly hope for (with the exception of 1 INT). However, things like going from 5.5% to 6% CHC, going from 15% elemental damage to 20%, getting to 20% AD on gloves / shoulders, and so on, could lead to massive damage increases. Those are the affixes that people spend fortunes re-rolling because they can mean the difference between getting a new GR clearance record and failing. As an example…

Here’s a screenshot of my Invoker with her Pig Sticker at the Mystic…

Yes, that’s almost 73 million gold per re-roll. It’s incredibly difficult to get this roll maxed out, because the affix tables are incredibly weighted to favour damage ranges, main stat and vitality. So, why would I bother? Well, here’s why…

My Invoker with 6% AS on her Pig Sticker…
https://www.d3planner.com/326588890

Punish damage breakdown…
DPS: 2,718,189,961,438
Damage: 15,701,738
Thorns Damage: 634,228,622,597
Breakpoint: 14 frames

My Invoker with 7% AS on her Pig Sticker…
https://www.d3planner.com/295614612

Punish damage breakdown…
DPS: 2,927,281,496,933
Damage: 15,701,738
Thorns Damage: 634,228,622,597
Breakpoint: 13 frames

That’s a damage increase of 209,091,535,495‬ (209 billion)
That’s going from 14 to 13 frames per attack, i.e. an AS breakpoint.
So, whilst a 1% difference in an affix might seem trivial, it’s often not.

Remember that doing 10 T16 Nephalem Rifts earned approximately 1.3 billion gold?
As costs increase with each successive attempt, that’s probably only enough for 16 re-rolls.

So, assuming I did 10 T16 rifts, spent the gold on re-rolling attempts at the Mystic, how would I fund 35 empowered GR125s with the keys I earned in the T16 rifts?

1 Like

I tampered with the quote to show what you’re up against Meteorblade.

2 Likes

So, I’ve been saving up some Puzzle Rings for a week or so. When one of my friends came on, I put on my full +GoldFind gear and we did all 21 rings together (3 of which were ancient), with them killing stuff, and me just picking up gold, gems and legendaries.

Before the runs…

After the runs…

That’s about 19.1 billion gold.
I guess that’ll keep me in empowered GR120s for a while.

So much crap from people who haven’t even played D3. Gold is important in D3, end of story.

2 Likes

Bad sport changing my words! :angry:

But that is about how i feel anyway, because I use games (especially Diablo) to ESCAPE from the rigors of life, including work and study. The absolute last thing I want to do is turn something that is supposed to be entertaining into a science lesson!