FPS issues ONLY at the start

Hey everyone,

I am getting FPS drops ONLY at the first 3-5mins of my FIRST game. So not at the start of every game. Just the first one. Almost like… my PC needs to warm up first?
Anyway…

I can easily run at 300 FPS however I cap myself at 149 as its +5 over my 144Hz monitor so I run at 149FPS all the time.

It randomly started doing this 2-3weeks ago , I have updated all drivers and repaired the game file but have found no fix.

Any ideas?

5 Likes

Yep similar problem here. When starting the game and joining the first lobby, the first few minutes are a literal slideshow. Any skills being used by me or around me make it worse. Then after a few minutes it improves, sometimes it even goes away completely, sometimes it just gets stuck at 100fps instead of 200. Not a stable 100fps either, just a total mess. I though my pc was dying but I am glad it’s not just me. All my settings are as low as I can set them except render resolution, which has all been working perfect for years, until now…

Same thing here for years I’ve been playing on even ultra settings (I usually only do low) at a good 120-140 consistently no lag spikes no stuttering. but the last 2 months Its been unplayable. A lot of people in my friend group are having the same issue. One of them is actually a IT professional and he has a beast of a system. Yet he’s having the same issues. Does anyone have any answers for me on how to fix this? I’ve done everything on that page that gives you like 6 ways to fix stuff. none of them worked.

2 Likes

I’m having the same exact issue. I had it earlier in the year and it magically stopped happening for a few weeks without me changing anything but it came back about a month ago. I reinstalled the game, reinstalled drivers nothing has helped.

Hi there,

We’re tracking reports of this and it looks to be related to some newer Nvidia drivers specifically.

Can you give it a try using 457.09 and see if that helps? You can grab it from here:

1 Like

I tried these drivers, unfortunately this didn’t solve the issue. I also tried the newer drivers released today 1/7 461.09 however these didn’t help either.

Not sure if this is of any help but these comments were in a thread about the same issue

I wasn’t able to try the potential solution of deleting the NV_Cache folder because it says it is in use and I’m not sure what is using it.

Yeah i can confirm also having severe problems for the first games with both low FPS and High Latency since a few months. It evens out after being logged in but still frustrating to even want to play sometimes tbh.

I think I got the same issue here as well, I updated to the latest driver after I got the sudden lag and it’s still doing it.

Just wanted to come back here and say that after uninstalling the latest driver and downloading the one linked by an employee above, now my game is running smooth again, so there is definitely issues with the newest Nvidia updates.

Same problem here - played startup match and then forced out of competitive match suffering de-endorsements and an hour ban :frowning:

Hi sorry if I miss anything in this but I have been experiencing some weird fps drops/stutters it always does it at the start of a match for the first 3-4 mins and only occurs in the first 1-3 matches then sorts its self out I really can’t explain why it does this all my other games run perfectly I have reinstalled this game but that didn’t seem to fix my problem so if anyone can help I will be very grateful.

I have done benchmarks on my computer to see if I was experiencing any problems that I did not know of but it seemed to be fine

GPU: RTX 3070
CPU: I5-8600k
RAM: 16GB 2666mhz

I have a very similar computer although I have a i5-10600, the game runs super smooth for me, have you checked if something is using your hard drive while you play? If you play on a HDD something using the disk might be the culprit.

Maybe ill try to move it to my SSD and see how it goes

Edit: Didn’t help still running exactly the same

I am suddenly getting an issue in Overwatch as well, it worked fine this morning, nothing changed on the PC whatsoever, now it runs like crap, it stutters so much and I can see the fps dropping really low.

I have no clue what’s going on, I’ve got a pretty alright PC as well.
I don’t think there were any patches in OW today so it can’t be that

Yep exact thing happened to me was playing alright for a little bit then hopped on the next day and now every first game on has stutters

Played yesterday at day, no problem, then at “night” i started to get weird fps drops and today same continues.

Same problems here, I’ve been having this issue for months and have tried everything to fix it.
-looking for software conflicts
-verifying game files
-updating windows
-uninstalling and reinstalling game, drivers and operating system

If anyone has managed to fix it please let me know.
Specs are 1700, 16gb ram and gtx1080

Me too!,i still don’t know the solution,but you need to either play one game with fps drops,or stay in menu for around 10-15,did anyone find a fix?

nope none I really hope someone finds one soon

Combined a few threads about this.

Did anyone else have success with the drivers linked above?

Otherwise there is also a potential workaround in this post: Really bad fps drops after update - #61 by unho1y-1793.

As well as additional steps to try here:
I fixed a Stuttering Issue - Technical Support - Overwatch Forums.

Let us know how it goes!