Settings not saving

Everytime I start the game I need to change the following settings and it dosent save.

Resolution
Frame rate cap
Playback device
Voice chat device

It works as long as Im not closing the game. But at every fresh start I need to change them again. Why is that? It has worked before but now its like this.

look here:

The game has all the permissions it need, no one drive, no software of that kind

What exactly solved the issue?

Nothing since none of the suggestions is valid in my case. So why its considerd solved I dont know

Seems like this a well known issue, a OW bug, which people reported even 3 years ago.

• So far, the only cases where people manage to “fix it” is where they changed graphic setting one by one via “Advanced” tab, and not via “Graphics Quality” preset option.

Do this:
Run game > Options > Advanced tab > change every option by hand, hit apply, exist, run game again.
Maybe it will work as long as you don’t use “Graphics Quality” presets.

Let’s see what happens :man_shrugging: :smiley:

1 Like

Ok i might be an idiot, or most likely… but how does the preset options matter since none of them is the what I always need to change when logging on? Do they impact my resolution and fram rate settings? Since I cant change them in the advanced tab I mean. Im really bad at stuff like this, and even more so since it worked before and all the sudden… it just dident anymore. I really appreciate Ur help

Preset option makes global changes, and this option value is saved separately from all other individual options, so if you make graphic changes via preset option, and the game doesn’t save it (or read it from the file) correctly then ALL graphic setting are affected.

People have reported that there was a bug which prevented the Preset option from being saved properly, so the only way for them to make graphic changes which stay saved is by not touching the Preset option at all, and changing individual options in the Advanced tab (or other options).

As for resolution setting, it shouldn’t be impacted by preset option, but OW has weird issues when it comes to saving setting data, and resetting ALL graphic changes, so I would recommend NOT to use preset options at all, and make one change at a time. Meaning go in, change one option, hit apply, and see if the change is being properly saved.

Changes made in advanced tab isent saved either, just tried it after reading Ur post. Guess I just have to live with it and set my resolution and stuff everytime I log on to play

Are you sure your INI setting file, and all the folders leading to it have all needed permissions and INI itself isn’t set to “read only” ?

Did you try to “scan , and repair” option?

I have no clue to whats going on. I opened the settingsfile and change my resolution and frame rate cap, saved and closed. Launched the game and that worked, its now set to the right settings when I start the game. Now I just need to find out what PlaybackDeviceID is for Default and what UseDefaultCommsDevices value should be for Default Device in the settings file. That way I can edit that awell and get everything to work

If you set everything in game, and hit apply all the needed changes should be written into that INI file, so you can copy it to e.g. desktop as backup with proper settings.

Yes in the best of worlds it would be doing that, but no =/

Heya Hellsingland,

This is an indicator that your user account may lack some permissions or as others have said that you do not have full ownership of your documents folder. If you are using onedrive, it could be worth desyncing it from your documents folder.

Likewise, as someone suggested, ensure you have read/write control for the full documents folder and it’s contents, not just the settings file. ^^

1 Like

Hey. No permissions was lacking, I have full ownership and all that. Read/write was also good. This just appeared one day, and now its gone. Just poff, gone. So problem solved itself or U guys patched something =)

Hey there, thank you so so so much for this suggestion! I did everything you suggest, and it works now! My problem was that even if I clicked the graphic settings to being on medium, in mid game the graphic would change from low to med alternatively, and that causes a lot of lag or freeze. So I tried what you said, and now is stable on medium like I wanted to. I was struggling for this problem for a while, and I’m really happy that now is solved, thank you so much again, you have a lovely day
:purple_heart::penguin: