šŸŗ Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

The one thing I noticed with wowup for me was having to use re-scan folders every now and then to have some of my addons display.

Butā€¦ to be fair its usually the ones I fix manually (updating some luaā€™s). So Iā€™m assuming it detects the discrepancies between the version on my PC and the one on the server.

I had no idea how competitive and cut throat the addon hosting community could be, jeez.

going after other hosting sites, cease and desist orders.

Not sure what to do with this, Iā€™m not moving to Overwolf but when i load Wowup all my addons seem dependant on curseforge.

Overwolf can just decide to stop public API access on a whim one day and kill Wowup for me completely.

Still using WoWup here, itā€™s light and easy to use, I refuse to install adware on my pc regardless of targetting ads.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping they leave the alternatives be. They started off quite aggressive with the addon managers but suffered a backlash and they then said they werenā€™t looking to close anyone down. So weā€™ll see.

Guess you donā€™t use facebook, discord, google etc then? Donā€™t have an iOS devices? You run SUSE Linux in enforcement mode for your personal computer and run WoW in Wine?

Complaining that Overwolf is ā€˜adwareā€™ is rather locking the door after the horse has bolted.

Is there an import option for plugins downloaded through twitch for wowup?

Overwolf is very much malware and has always been since its existanceā€¦

Nope.

Not often

Iā€™m aware of googles invasion.

No

I get what youā€™re saying but I limit what intrusion I want on my PC, please dont be a smartass.

2 Likes

It reads your interface folder just like the twitch app. It also works on classic and PTR.

1 Like

Indeed they all work like that. If you swap itā€™s just going to see what you have and offer updates if necessary.

WoWup wont even open for me. I tried to install it and my computer blocks it from opening since its sketchy due to my virus program. Dunno im gonna give this overwolf a go. I really doubt twitch would be marketing something thats so hazardous to your computer.

i get the same thing. computer totally blocks it.

Twitch isnā€™t marketing, Twitch sold Curseforge to Overwolf. They are just doing a transition the way it is stipulated in the sale.

As to computer blocking a program, that can happen to anything. There are false positives. In the end you need to make a decision though but there are other add-on managers out there if youā€™d like to avoid Overwolf.

Yeah so i took this overwolf now but i rejected all their purposes or whatever they want you to accept.

Iā€™ll give this a go everytime i dont update something iā€™ll keep it closed i have no need to keep it open. If problems arise ill find something else :slight_smile:

Twitch isnt marketing anything overwolf does.

However, Overwolf has had a long lasting history with shoving stuff in your face, there for, intrusive, and disrupting, thus falling under the malware catagory with alot of people. Fopr every feature they have used (They used to have sttreaming features like twitch chat), thereā€™s far better alternates.

Because itā€™s came from another PC. Right click properties and tick unblock and it should be fine. Itā€™s a .Net app.

Questionā€¦ how can you get stuff thrown at your face if you keep it closed? Iā€™m only planning on opening it once a day to check updates and closing it after. Honestly just asking since im no computer god.

How you have problem with removing it? It is only one file Wowup.exe. You donā€™t need to install it or do anything else.

2 Likes

Ads and all that kind of junk. Also Overwatch will support addon developers with ad reveneu, which is smt I am utterly against with because that is an indication that thereā€™s seriously going to be paid mods or a possibility, when you even run a game, ads may be included sometimes

And you cant install theyr mod stuff w/o installing the whole thing.