šŸŗ Overwolf Addon Management Changeover - *NOW* 2nd December

Screw this bloated malware app.

Iā€™m going to give WoWUp a try.

2 Likes

There is a whole selection of alternatives, and cater to various platforms etc

https://ogri-la.github.io/wow-addon-managers/

I havenā€™t tried the Overwolf client but I can imagine there being a button in the Preferences to disable Hardware Acceleration which is most likely the cause of the crashes.

I donā€™t run it in the background, I open it, update and close it. It has NO impact on my gaming.

I would recommend anyone trying Overwolf to go through the settings on both the Overwolf App AND the Curseforge App with a fine toothcomb.

Particularly pay attention to the bit about sharing your data, go through everything on the privacy section. I opted out of everything. I do not let it do any overlays, nothing.

On a daily basis I only open Curseforge and Iā€™ve set it so it exits both Curseforge app and all the overwolf stuff. Nothing runs in the background, nothing affects my gaming.

No one has to use Overwolf, there are alternatives :slight_smile:

My friends kind of forced me to finally install discord, Iā€™ve avoided it this whole time but when all your friends are using it and you canā€™t talk to them unless you do, Then you kind of have no option.

I was shocked at how many intrusive things discord had, Constantly watching whatā€™s being opened on your pc, even the songs youā€™re listening to, I disabled every single thing that it tried to force on me including the overlay, I guess overwolf is pretty much the same?

Discord likes to share your activities but it allows for you to be private too if you donā€™t want to do that.

Some people donā€™t want to show what they are listening to or what game they are playing. Personally I like that I can :slight_smile:

I wished all addon authors would host their addons on GitHub/GitLab and used Issuehunt or similar platforms for support but especially these who do it for fun like me and donā€™t need the support.

p.s. WowUp all the way because itā€™s simple and done right.

2 Likes

I got lucky, I nearly missed that option and my friends would see that on rare occasions I like to burst out some Celine Dion Tunes.

2 Likes

Itā€™s good you saw what happened and people should be aware that a virus scanner is not something that (can) defend you on every type of exploit used on the internet.

Also the thing that Overwolf is considered a ā€œsafe and legitimateā€ company so if the virus scanner reads their exploit / virus / malware / worm / trojan definition files and doesnā€™t recognize itā€™s pattern then your machine will still be infected.
If it does use shady operations or is somehow able to use ring-0 for their privileges bad things can and will happen.

I guess itā€™s just a matter of time before a new website will emerge that stores the addons where programs like wowup can download your addons from.

Itā€™s the same on Spotify, people can see what Iā€™m playing. I have the most weird mixture of music I listen to, but I also find other things via spotify and discord that others listen to that I then like and add to my list.

I have the odd Celine song on there too :wink:

2 Likes

What AV are you using?

I believe Ananda explained this was due to their lack of certfication at present:-

McAfee (bah, 10 characters for a simple answer)

Well, like Puny said the program wasnā€™t signed with MS authenticode so it blocks it but in the case of WowUp you can make an exception, itā€™s really fine. :grin:

1 Like

WowUp definitely seems to be a firm favourite in the alternative stakes

1 Like

seems like it. might have to allow that one.

there is premium addons section, when most of essential addons will be placed
want to get them? PAY SUBSCRIPTION
A stance for Blizzard is badly requiered at this time. Like , tomorrow morning

puny, we need to try and persuade addon developers to push their work into Wowinterface a web that remained dedicated to the player, to the gamer, unlike curse grifters.
Nothing would bring me more joy than seeing addon developers leaving curse in masse, and curse getting slammed by Blizzard with an denied api request.
Curse will sell all your data if they need to, for a loaf of bread

I responded to you in the other thread that you made that statement:

No matter how much I dislike Overwolf, the only thing to my knowledge youā€™d be paying for is to have it ad-free. That is supposed to be an option, not mandatory.

Overwolf is free to use with ads and supposedly will support add-on creators. Many of the alternatives have patreon options.

Many add-ons have subscription options but must all provide a free version. For example raidbots provide a free SIM service but I pay a subscription to gain access to a faster queue and am able to include more iterations.

1 Like