Mage Tower Availability Extended and Tuning Adjustments

We are currently in the process of deploying hotfixes (some of which have already gone live) to bring about the following groups of changes to the Mage Tower portion of Legion Timewalking:

• The Mage Tower will remain open for play for an additional two weeks beyond the originally scheduled two weeks.
    • This will be in addition to all other events already scheduled on the calendar.
    • The Mage Tower will now close with maintenance the first week in January 2022.
    • The in-game calendar will not reflect this change until it is updated at a later date.
  • We intend to make several targeted adjustments and bugfixes to enchants, gems from Burning Crusade Heroic Dungeons, and trinkets that come from Legion Timewalking.
    • Some of these changes have already gone live, such as the adjustments to the Endless Tincture of Renewed Combat and the Crusader weapon enchantment.
  • Several specs’ Mage Tower encounters are being tuned to ease the level of difficulty:
    • End of the Risen Threat Encounter
      • Corrupted Risen Mages now wait 1 to 2 seconds before they can start casting Arcane Blitz.
      • Corrupted Risen Mage’s Arcane Blitz damage bonus is now 40% per stack (was 50%).
      • Arcane Blitz cast time now increased by 0.5 seconds and increases by another 0.5 seconds for each bonus damage stack on the caster. The duration of the damage buff has been increased by 1 second to compensate.
      • Arcane Blitz has a new visual state effect added to make it even “louder.”
    • Xylem Encounter
      • Comet Storm now waits 3 seconds before damaging players (was 2 seconds).
    • Blood Death Knight
      • Kruul health reduced by 10%.
    • Frost Death Knight
      • Archmage Xylem’s Corrupting Shadows health reduced by 3%.
      • Archmage Xylem’s Razor Ice health reduced by 10%.
    • Havoc Demon Hunter
      • Archmage Xylem’s Arcane Barrage and Frostbolt damage reduced by 5%.
      • Archmage Xylem’s Comet Storm damage reduced by 14%.
    • Guardian Druid
      • Nether Horror health reduced by 10%.
      • Nether Horror’s Nether Storm now has movement and melee combat interrupts.
    • Protection Paladin
      • Tormenting Eye health reduced by 10%.
      • Smoldering Infernals now cast Smash every 6 seconds (was 5 seconds).
    • Holy Priest
      • Corrupted Risen Mage’s health reduced by 10%.
      • Corrupted Risen Soldier’s Knife Dance damage reduced by 10%.
    • Restoration Shaman
      • Corrupted Risen Soldier damage reduced by 10%.
      • Corrupted Risen Soldier’s Knife Dance damage reduced by 10%.
      • Corrupted Risen Mage’s damage reduced by 10%.

We’ve previously posted some of the initial adjustments that were made via hotfix, and we will continue to list every hotfix related to the above in our hotfixes update posts.

Thank you very much!

6 Likes

It’s a start, but the problem remains how no PTR feedback has been listened do, and neither have the bug reports and exploits been looked at because they all shipped to live servers. About the event extension; it’s not a surprise, and mostly everyone expected it to be a complete mess, especially for the first week.

Since you went through great lengths to disable many of the effects, traits, bonuses and such, you could have also simply introduced stat templates for the scenarios, so the player only had to worry about which talents to select, and most importantly, that everyone had the same and equal chances of success. Skill should have been a deciding factor, something you failed to do the first time around during Legion where unlike now, you had the possibility of overgearing the content.

However, you failed to disable sockets, have overlooked many older items and enchants that you turned this from challenge based around mechanics, reaction time and general knowledge to something where players will claw their way around to find any competitive edge possible - drums, scrolls, engineering items (Kruul exploit), consumables from several expansions ago included.

Best thing about the whole thing is I still have to pay for game time if I want to keep failing at the mage tower challenge.

16 Likes

Dear Kaivax, make these magetowers welfare. Tell Ion Kostas to nerf everything 70℅ and it will be okay.

5 Likes

So you’ve acknowledged that there were many ways to make these challenges a bit easier (but still somewhat challenging), did nothing, failed, complained, saw nerfs, and still complain? How free do you want content in this game to be?..

Minimal nerfs for gigantic amounts of tens of damage nerfs doesn’t fix the issue.
But congrats for putting up a lazy blue post to try and cover up the lazy attempt at fixing this completely busted content.
Oh and stop making everything hit for over 60k in Legion Mythic +15s while you’re at it.
kthxbye

6 Likes

have you tried to become a better player and not chill here in the forum?

1 Like

No doubt that more hotfixes and nerfs are coming, as long as they have paying customers, and eventually it will become more widely accessible. I may just value my own time enough not to keep hitting my head against a wall but they have no more excuse to keep releasing content in such a broken state. It’s starting to look intentional especially with all the FOMO and time gating that has been the center piece of this expansion.

1 Like

You need to slap at least a -30% hp and -30% unavoidable damage to every challenge, you just scaled them as they were in legion without accounting for the loss of all your beloved borrowed powers.
Clowns. :clown_face:

20 Likes

Without borrow powers some spec feels really bad and the mage tower has mostly very hard-damaging unavoidable mechanics.

Some of the challenges even force you to heal up and dps as fast as you can in minimal amount of time that people work around it with Leech.

Definately should be nerfed. Mostly HP of bosses and unavoidable damage. I agree with Hafthor.

5 Likes

What this player said

7 Likes

Drip feeding nerfs now, not just content.

Still, this gives me time to farm SoO and level my Pandaria JC and Enchanting.

:clown_face:

1 Like

This is a good start, is there a date when this will be implemented?
My best so far is 7% on Kruul, before I got flinged off by an infernal.

it is implemented already.

WE NEED MORE NERFS!!! ITS NOT ENOUGH!!! WHEN THE DRUID CANT THRASH THE BOSS ON THAT RANGE THEN ITS NEVER ENOUGH !!! BECAUSE WE COULD WITH THE LEGENDARY FROM LEGION!!!

NOT ENOUUUUUGGGGH!!!

2 Likes

This; is the core reason why it is brokenly unbalanced.

I also made a topic about my feedback here; My First day MT experience:Reasons why new mage tower scaling is terrible.Comparing with old

I just visited old dreamgrove to see the missing powers we have from legion. The absence of artifact effect; passive things are massive.

For example ; i had rank 17 concordance of legionfall; which alone ; it’s procs give 8k versatility.(im not even counting the passives from artifact powers or legendary effects) or our big stats in legion.

Some may argue that our hp was bigger compared to this day and time. and i would agree. And it is the core problem of it.The level pruning in wow was the worst thing and it made things alot worse and balance issues harder than before. Both our hps and damage is ridiculously low in this timewalk challenge, and none of the legion powers are active in this.
Some may disagree but things are going downhill in terms ot stat optimisation since this level squish happened.

We should have been like lvl 130 now. and pumping big numbers in pve. Dying to damage should be for specific things like X hits you for % of your hp damage or smth like that.

I dont even remember in dying so easily from damage in old mage tower challenge; not even once. I was passing phases so fast that it was so fast paced and so fluent. Most of my wipes was on p3. I was eating adds like they are cookies easily. Only things that matters was the mechanics to not get knocked up or dont miss to interrupt boss.

now comparing to this day and age; people are min maxing theorycrafting ; going moonkin form to increase dps to make specific playstyle which has nothing to do original MT guardian challenge. If you tried that before you would probably fail miserably in legion and deplete your keys.

Yes, some people may say ; ‘‘oh you would like to overpower the bosses in mage tower hehe get guud’’ i would say ;YES i would.That is why i grinded m+ , that is why got so many artifact powers back in legion.Some people overpowered the MT boss with raid gears, and some people overpowered it with artifact power. I was a solo player.So I worked day and night to grind my artifact power, run from quest to quest , put my time effort and dedication to defeat the boss.Later blizzard added catch up mechanics for artifact catch up , but i was already quite ‘‘artifact fed’’ to complete the challenge so it was all and good.

and compared to today; it was ‘‘REQUIRING KEY’’ not yolo spam 50-100 times within a day. Collecting keys was quite time consuming.

Im sorry to tell this ;But i made a wide scan on the posts that are opened in these days ; and for all the elitist folks who completed it ; let me tell you the harsh truth; if a TANK challenge requiring you to get into a caster form for a majority of fight ; which was never intented to be ; that fight needs a MAJOR nerf.

How it is gonna be nerfed is on the blizzard’s decision ofcourse ; but if we want the challenge to be purely on mechanics as before; and not being affected from disabled barrowed powes ; my suggestion is to making a nerf on the hp and damage of adds and bosses and leave the mechanics as it should be before.

4 Likes

What a joke. -10% health nerf for Kruul while nerfing every good trinket / gem. You give back one finger but cut the arm right after doing it.

I will comeback when you actually want players to complete MT and have fun doing it.

10 Likes

As Supatease said: It would be so much better, if you would just template us. Disable trinkets, consumables, gems and enchants. And Balanced it off that way, class by class (to help those who functions worse without the borrowed power their spec relies so heavily on)

And if you are not doing that, then enable the conduits, SL leggos and covenant abilities. And then you can do with minor tuning.

4 Likes

So, about this change. In p2 how am I supposed to get aggro of them, reach them, and interrupt them at the same time of doing all the other mechanics, if they just stop right next to Velen???
I don’t know what this change was supposed to solve, as these mobs were not hard to deal with especially now with the health reduction, but I just can’t seem to protect the NPCs from them because they just stand still when they haven’t reached me yet.

1 Like

please dont forget to nerf these items/trinkets (from us forums):

Choker of the Barbed Reins (Neck) got lucky with a bonus socket

Handguards of Demonsbane (Gloves) Proc did 5% of my dps

Ghost Iron Dragonling (Trinket 1) with 2x16 Haste and 1x16 Vers Sockets

Unblinking Gaze of Sethe (Trinket 2) Proc did about 11% of my dps.

i dont want to farm those. so just nerf them and adjust bosses. so i can do it with the gear from shadowlands. yeah, thx, bb.

maybe you dont want others to have fun anymore, after all that abuse from that company…but may be just close wow then

2 Likes

Yeah, these challenges should have been 100% gear templated.

These nerfs don’t change the fact that the challenges require legacy gear/enchants/consumables. :frowning:

5 Likes

It would be nice, but Blizzard WANTS this to be a giant gold sink.

2 Likes