[A-Event] Byltan - Kaldorei Spring Festival 🌸

The counterpart to Samha, Byltan is a celebration of love, life and fertility and during this night we pay special homage and honour to love in all its forms, be it between lovers, family members or friends. Dancing, drinking, stories, poetry and songs are the order of the holiday. Making merry and enjoying life is the command.

Date: 1st of May 2021
Time: 19:30
Faction: Alliance

We open this year’s Byltan with a small ritual to welcome all attendees and to celebrate spring and love in all its forms.

During Byltan last year, the festival hosts put on a play based on the much beloved story of Elune and Malorne. This year attendees will be able to enjoy a newly written play! The play will have a basis in kaldorei culture and celebrate love in some form. It will hopefully bring joy to those attending and perhaps even elicit some laughter.

During the festival there will be a costume contest based around the festival’s theme of love and life. We invite those who wish to participate in the contest to find someone to partner up with and create a look based around a significant relationship! No solo entries will be permitted to enter the contest this time.

The kaldorei have a tradition of sharing kinship bracers with their friends and loved ones. These bracers are given as a sign of friendship, devotion, love or courtship. Perhaps you want to gift one to that special someone because you want to prove your love and devotion, offer a kinship in blood, have a special connection or even just want to treasure a very special friendship? Regardless of the thought behind it, these bracers will symbolize the bond that has been forged between the individuals. During the festival a workshop will be held for those who wish to learn how to make kinship bracers. The effort put in and the thought behind the gift is what gives it its true value.

After the play and the costume contest is done, we invite those who wish to take the stage and entertain us with songs, poems, stories or dances. The performances should be themed around love or life in some way and preferably be joyful. Byltan is a happy occasion and performances themed around sorrow and sadness do not quite fit for this particular festival.

We invite stallholders and merchants to come along to the festival and peddle their wares! Be it food, drinks, jewellry, clothing or other interesting goods. Help us make this festival come alive by offering a wide variety of stalls for all attendees to enjoy and peruse!

Some stalls on offer
- Saber petting zoo
- Trinket shop
- Moonspear stall
- Sweets and alcoholic beverages
- Herbs and other goods

We will end this year’s Byltan with a short closing ritual where the Priestesses will ask for Elune’s blessings upon all those in attendance.

OOC Details:

Schedule:
19:30 Opening Ritual
20:00 Play
20:30 Costume Contest/ Kinship Bracer Workshop/ Market
21:30 Open Stage
22:45 Closing Ritual

Costume Contest Rules

• The theme of the Costume Contest is: Significant Relationships
  • The Costume Contest is only open for COUPLES/DUOS (as in, each entry needs to consist of TWO people)
  • Solo entries will not be permitted.

Event Map

Calling all stallholders and merchants!

We are looking for people willing to host a stall of some kind during the festival, in order to create a living marketplace! Please reach out to the event organizer if you’re interested in having your stall feature at the market!

- Byltan is a kaldorei themed celebration of spring, but it is open to any member of the Alliance who'd like to participate.

- Spring themed clothing is not mandatory, but it is encouraged. Soft pastels and greens are perfect for this holiday. So are costumes themed around the Goddess and Malorne in particular.

- We kindly ask all attendees to refrain from using dark magics, such as fel and void, during this festival, as we feel it goes against the theme of life.

- We also ask you to, please, keep in mind that this is supposed to be a festive occasion and refrain from disrupting it with attempted robberies, summoning of demons, invasions of orcs or similar things. Such things have their time and place, and can be great fun, but we feel that they do not belong during this joyous celebration of life.
29 Likes

Yaaaas! Love it and already looking forward to it! Thank you for organising this for us. <3

1 Like

This is awesome, will try to be there!

3 Likes

Providing RL and work doesn’t get in the way, I’ll attend.

1 Like

Something to look forward to! H y p e :herb: :butterfly:

1 Like

Void elves, and graver still the undead and demon hunters probably would both feel and look dreadfully out of place during an event such as this. Even if well behaved.

I digress. Maybe I’ll dust off my long neglected druid for the occasion, it certainly sounds like a good opportunity for it!

Aw! Yay! Glad to hear that! I’m looking forward to seeing you there! :smiley:

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

Fingers crossed, Stallnorth! ^^

Aww! Thank you! I’m very excited about it myself. ^^

It is likely that they would, yes. But they are not banned from attending. The event is open to all. We just ask that they don’t use those specific powers during the event is all.

But glad to hear you want to attend regardless! ^^

2 Likes

Would Byltan not technically be a Summer Festival - since its inspiration, Beltane, is the celebration for the first day of Summer.

Granted, that does not align with how most people nowadays consider the traditional Spring months to be March, April and May.
But at least according to how the Wheel of the Year works (and as I have been informed, how it still works in Ireland) the first day of Summer is considered to be the first day of may - the half way point between the Spring Equinox and Summer Solstice.

Though I realise that, going with how Beltane is celebrated in the real world, would get you a lot of confused questions as to why someone is holding a Summer festival in Spring.

Regardless, I am looking forward to this, and I hope that I will be able to attend!
(Provided my own Beltane celebrations don’t get in the way)

1 Like

According to the fan made Elunian Calendar (made by the guild Silvereye here on AD a long time ago) that we’re going by for events like these, Byltan is a spring festival. While it may share a similar name and draw some inspiration from Beltane, it is not meant to replicate an actual Beltane celebration.

Looking at it though, the Elunian Calendar does draw some heavy inspiration from the pagan wheel of the year, but as far as I’m aware it is supposed to be a completely separate thing created for the RP community to adapt and enjoy as they se fit. So while IRL Beltane is a summer and fire festival, our Byltan in game is a spring/late spring festival. The big summer festival will be Jurina’tore, which is celebrated on the Summer Solstice. I hope that makes sense. :smiley:

1 Like

Shame its on a thursday, which keeps me from attending!

I wish you guys luck and fun with the event, though!

Fair enough! I am unfamiliar with the Elunian Calendar, I thought it was based off of the old Stave of Equinex quests, which features the Flames of Byltan (Beltane), Lahassa (Lughnasadh), Samha (Samhain) and Imbel (Imbolc).

I look forward to see what you do with it then! :smile:

1 Like

It’s not on a thursday, it’s on a saturday! It’s in May, not April. We’re just putting this out well in advance for once. xD

Ooooh. That is more than I knew, but considering that some of the events in the Elunian Calendar does have those names, then you may very well be right. I didn’t create the calendar, I’m just using it. But I have learned something new today then. Thank you! :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh! My bad then, I misread! In that case I will 75% deffo come around at the event then! :smiley:

Good thing its weeeeeell in advance!

1 Like

Awesome! \o/
And yes, for once we have planned ahead! xD

1 Like

Looking forward to this event, sounds pretty nice!

1 Like

This looks really interesting! If work allows I’ll certainly come and take a peek on Mith here!

1 Like

This looks so much fun. I love a good party, I’ll be there. :blush::tada:

2 Likes

We would like to make Byltan a community event and in that spirit we are now looking for people who would be interested in hosting shops and food stalls at the spring market. We are also looking for two additional judges for the costume contest.

If you would like to host a stall or a shop during the market, please write in this thread what kind of stall you’ll be hosting and I’ll make a note of it.

If you’d like to be a judge, please reach out to me in game (either via whisper or by sending an in-game mail).

Let’s make this a great community event together!

Edit: Judges have been found! \o/ But we would like to see stall holders and shops sign up still!

2 Likes

Riralsun Moonwish (Riraelsun) and Ceciil Moonwish (Ceciil)
Stall request:

• Saber cubs pet zoo

To introduce felines to those unfamiliar or unaccustomed to them.

3 Likes

Aaaaah! This will be awesome! Really looking forward to seeing you guys’ petting zoo! <3