[A-RP] Bayerleyn Retinue - Green and Gold, Ever Bold!

Every leap of progress on these forums was built off the back of disposable drama. We lost our stomach for outrage unless engineered. But I can only make so much. Thhese threads were empty and salted, right here. The dead space between the code. And this, the seat that we must change for gossip. I cannot make it all. So help me, I have tried. We need more drama than can ever be assembled. Millions of threads, so we can post trillions more. We could storm Blizzard and retake her. Shonn’s final trick: self-sustaining drama. Perfected, then lost.

3 Likes

I mean that the prosecutor is the one who has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the prosecuted did knowingly break a law.

It’s not up to the defendant to prove anything :S

I said that IF he was guilty of said things, he couldn’t use the defense of ‘‘I didn’t know.’’ and explained why.

Didn’t look like what you were saying, and I mean guilt is determined by the court, so I’m not sure how that argument works.

Stop in ten characters

Yes it is, and I am saying that he would not be able to use the defense of ‘‘I didn’t know.’’ because he does know he might potentially be interacting with minors.

I was young. My reaction was to panic and hide and feel dirty and ashamed that someone might think I had a connection to this guild because I made art for them. I made free art for a lot of people back then.
So no, I never thought to make a ticket at the time.

I cannot prove it of course - young me certainly didn’t want to screenshot that conversation - but I do have the records of him approaching me to make said art in my Argent Archives mailbox.

It happened so long ago, and only recently have I thought about taking action for it. I knew nothing much could be done because of the time span and the definitive lack of proof. It just saddens me to think how often this could have happened.

I wanted my art removed from your site because I had already long since purged it from my computer, and hated seeing it up there. It may be old and rubbish compared to what I can do now, but it’s still an upsetting reminder to me.

By the way, you’re still using one of my images in your ‘IC & OOC’ rules page. Please remove that too.

27 Likes

If any of it happened in-game you might be able to reach out to a GM and have them pull up logs, they have all that stuff on a server so it might still be there!

Sorry for what you had to go through.

I already opened a ticket some time ago - they can’t pull up logs from that far back. My motivation for opening the ticket was the concern that this sort of thing might still be happening. I know my own situation can’t be properly resolved.

12 Likes

That’s honestly disappointing… You’d think Blizzard would care more about stuff like this.

As someone who had a similar experience with an older, predatory player when I was younger (not related to this guild or its GM), my response was very similar. Expecting a child to meticulously catalogue their experiences and respond to it in an adult way isn’t going to go very far.

Of course, it does mean there’s limited proof beyond testimony and I don’t think anyone would dispute that. But if it happened, then the GM fully well knows it happened.

GM meaning guild master not game master. I’m just being careful about name and shame.

14 Likes

Echoing this. When I started RPing in MoP I was approached by a predatory player and while it didn’t escalate into anything I did feel that I had a target on my back from said player and ended up deleting my character for good just to avoid them.

Unfortunately these encounters are far, far too common and imo don’t get brought to light enough.

12 Likes

Yep. Taking advantage of younger/more naive players isn’t exactly unheard of and it’s not really surprising that so many players have stories relating to it.

I’m lucky that at the time, I had a different older player who kept an eye on me.

3 Likes

Your other picture mentioned has been removed.

One thing I’m having a rough time with, tbh.

If people have to look at or are made aware of the rules prior to joining the Beyerleyn Retinue, why do they join knowing what they are going into if they don’t want to go into it?

There was a -VERY- predatory player on my last server, a dwarf, I won’t name names obviously even though he still plays on AD but he was very thorough in accosting nearly every known female role-player on the realm for bow chikka wow wow and would actively get violent, petty and make threats towards them if they didn’t go along with his smut. Mentioning this primarily because there was never a forum crusade against him, even though it was kind of justified.

What I’m having a hard time comprehending based on what I’ve read in this thread, is whether or not Shonn has tried to pressure people into ERP by manipulating them, forcing them, gaining their trust, etc. Does he actively harass or stalk people?

Personally whenever anyone has made me feel uncomfortable, even as a kid, I tossed them on ignore, or blanked them out, or even logged out and just went on my way. Since it’s the internet and this is a game, I kind of can’t be forced into anything I don’t want to do.

4 Likes

I don’t know about harassing or stalking, but the one and only time I’ve ever played a female character in Stormwind, he made a concerted effort both IC and OOC to recruit me to the guild. I made it clear my character was a civilian and not a fighter in RP and otherwise; he persisted. I think I was 16 or 17 at the time.

You’re right, but there are a lot of young players who are vulnerable and receptive to any kind of attention/validation. We shouldn’t apply the same expectations on them as we do ourselves. We’re adults, they’re not.

5 Likes

Well our experiences are rather similar, again. My female character (before the predatory encounter) was approached by Shonn and a similar persistent dialogue ensured; while my character was combat capable, I wasn’t really interested in joining a guild at the time due to the mass of casual RP that Stormwind had (naive days).

1 Like

Similar experience on Horde, big name Forsaken player attempted to force themselves onto my character, citing their position and rank as being why they were allowed to do things to my character.

At the time I was a lot less world wary about Argent Dawn, about how things went on, and thus the player was able to get away with it. Although I believe they got their comeuppance after they were exposed (on the Alliance though, not Horde.)

2 Likes

I’m referring to how my mindset worked at that age, tbh. I was a vulnerable youth and I did many silly things on the internet, some of a sexual nature but the only time I really felt truly uncomfortable or aggrieved, is when people would badger me for my irl details or try to find out more about where I live, how old I am, how big my d*ck is, my cup size, etcetera.

Unfortunately not all people are as emotionally strong to do such things, even more so if it’s someone they perceived or heard were a good person.

3 Likes