Assault on Darkshore seemed pointless

point is blizzard can pick up and drop whatever narrative threads they want, whenever they want to do it. and they do it frequently. they can also chop and change IU elements to suit their needs, which is something else they do constantly.

if you want a satisfying and coherent story experience you need to look beyond WoW.

1 Like

Sure you can.
If you create a plausible story reason to keep them occupied, then you’re not in a rush to move the story on. In this case Blizzard have decided that the Night Elves are fighting the Forsaken over Darkshore in a long, back and forth war.
That situation can basically exist in a vacuum just fine whilst all the other plotlines (Sylvannas, N’zoth, Vol’jin, etc.) are told.

That’s just parallel storylines where one is kept in suspense, likely until the next expansion rolls around. That’s perfectly normal.

3 Likes

I already did, actually. I stopped playing all together.

Anyways, I know they can, and they will. But honestly its such nonsense. Like someone in another thread already said; if what they said was true and they did have so many interesting and long and good storylines going on, I could understand it. But they have like 3 storylines tops; a 10 minute one for Tyrande and 2 30 minutes for regarding Baina and Vol’jin. And thats the max they can churn out?

Its show, don’t tell. And they’re showing is nothing and then proceed to tell us there are so many interesting good storylines going on D:

100% behind you on that one

something else blizzard’s writers do constantly. makes sense in, say, a cartoon or comic, where you only have limited scope to show things happening. makes zero sense in a game as broad as WoW where you can show players almost anything.

3 Likes

Except they didn’t. They only said Tyrande and the Kaldorei’s story is done and Tyrande got her revenge. Nothing more, nothing less. They didn’t state if the battle is still continueing offscreen, for all we know Darkshore contains Kaldorei and Forsaken plotting together to create a new faction for now. They didn’t create any plausible story for it except “we’re done yea”.

I think you’re needlessly complicating matters that are meant to be very simple.

So long as you can do the Darkshore Warfront and there’s nothing beyond that, then that is where the Night Elf storyline is right now. They’re fighting the Forsaken over the territory, claiming it, losing it, relcaiming it, and so on. That’s why we queue up every few weeks and do World Quests the other weeks - that’s the story of the back-and-forth conflict.

At the beginning of the next expansion the Warfronts will be considered old content and Blizzard will likely continue the storyline, concluding either race as the winner and then go from there.

1 Like

The story is done in more than word. The token presence in the Azshara raid is a example of deed. While there is a datamined cutscene where Tyrande declares victory in Darkshore, that has not yet been added to the end of the Darkshore Warfront. It may not be used, plenty of things get cut out before the PTR.

1 Like

I suppose I am, but I just want Tyrande to show up in Zin-Azshari. But I suppose its fine that Shandris can take a break from the Warfront to search for a long dead childhood friend/Brother.

I mean she is only the General of the Sentinel Army, so why should she lead them when she can search for a ghost.

If the Story is done, and the Alliance is the canonicly winner, its not improving anything by including Tyrande, Jarod, Maiev, Mordent or Malfurion in Zin-Azshari.

But then again, I assume there are plenty of Blood Elven characters who should or would want to show up(Rommath, anyone?) alongside the Nightborne.

But alas, that would take to much focus of Jaina for even one freaking second so its a big no. Since Jaina must have another cutscene again, I suppose.

1 Like

It is a delicate difference, and maybe therefore, a wee bit difficult to point out.
But I will try.

When one starts leveling a Worgen, one is being plunged into the Worgen capital that is in great unrest because some of its citizens are suffering the curse. The whole starting experience in leveling that race is about inner conflict, flight, confrontation and eventual rescue, i.e. leaving a “city in ruins” behind. The Silverpine questline (which is a really interesting one) is hinting at the desolate “Worgen situation”. So a Worgen racial player is from the beginning confronted with the fact that he - has no home - other than the refuge within the greater Alliance (by residing at another race’s capital). There is no ''capital bonding" in a sense that other racials experience their leveling which takes them right up to 110. The Worgen, the Gnomes, (to some extent even the Goblins), the Void Elves, the Draenei and the Darkspear all have to make do with ''refuge/temporarily homes away from their original (wholesome) homes/capitals.

What I am driving at is the fact that when you level these racials there is no capital bonding from the start other than the affinity for their present abode.

On a completely different level you have racial players leveling at UC and Teldrassil. These are ‘‘functioning’’ capitals and they grow on you as you level up to 110. These capitals are part of your racial identity - there are no other homes to go to.

So, by destroying these and giving nothing in return (remember that the Forsaken and the Night Elves who are living like squatters in their faction territory have no ‘‘temporary home’’ like the Draenei, and Darkspear, for example.

Furthermore, the Worgen and the Forsaken have, at least, a remote hope that someday they will return to their initial, original capitals.

The Night Elves have nothing of the above. And that is the crucial, stark difference. That is a major reason, why there is such an outrage in the first place. What Blizzard have done is the most callous, disrespectful and idiotic move they could have done as an enterprise set on making money. It is totally unprofessional to alienate your customers.

So, while it may be a nerving experience for some that these complaints are still on-going, view the matter from this side of the argument and you may come to see that Night Elf main players really have a case…

… and, I rest mine :slight_smile:

Edit:

And it could have been so simple for Blizzard to cushion the blow to their player base by offering, at least, a temporary home for the Forsaken and the Night Elves. Have it known (especially when BfA began) that after the catastrophe the majority of Forsaken found refuge at the Scarlet Monastery, for example, and the Night Elves in Eldre’Thalas (and finally granting Shandris Feathermoon the victory over the Ogres there). The outcry would have been far less and Blizzard would have been able to contain an affinity to the game, despite the havoc. But what do they do? What are they still not prepared to do? It is mind boggling to see them at work!

5 Likes

It’s a good point, sadly the playerbase is up in arms about so many issues, the disappointment with Azerite and the gameplay of this expansion is obscuring how annoyed people are at the lore developments for the Nelves.

As a company they should be able to properly see feedback for various areas and see what the fans are doing/saying… the thing is most of us are voicing our concerns as texts, instead of videos on you tube, and thus not getting the hits and tractions that allow easy tracking and force them to actually see what we are seeing.

What we could be saying is 100% true, but most peole don’t even care at this point enough, and would never read the texts, but might watch the video. And I admit I haven’t made videos as I wanted to…

2 Likes

The explanation for all Night Elf stuff is easy: Now that they are mortal again, they are getting senile! Would you be surprised by a 100-year old person acting stupidly? And some of those elves are 10000+ years old! You should be patient with them, and maybe have a talk about putting her in an old person’s home with Tyrande.

1 Like

Should it be a joke? Because if it isn’t I want to say to you that Night Elves doesn’t have the physical presence problems of a human.

1 Like
  1. Yes, it was supposed to be a joke. The hint is in the exclamation marks.
  2. Night elves can grow sick now, I actually don’t see why they couldn’t become senile.
2 Likes

Because, at least Tyrande and Malfurion, are still very young even if they’re ancient. They were protected from aging for 10.000 years.

1 Like

That didn’t safe the Shadowsong guy’s wife, who was still a novice by the time of the war of the ancients.

We’re talking about magic :cow2::poop:. Don’t claim you know the rules.

Sickness or sth. But she wasn’t senile.

yes, yes, it’s all doom and gloom with sorrow and sorry that the night elves and their playerbase no longer have a place to call home due to our side, that’s true. to which i do hope the night elves have their own place to call home once again eventually.

what isn’t good or anything remotely acceptable is when these same players who justifiably cry wolf, demand for change and complain start to compare their problems with other facets of lore, de-value that and worse: assault/insult the other player behind it.

which is also what is grating non-night elf players. i am happy and willing to provide evidence of the above throughout these forums if you feel the need to ask for it.

i get the problems of the night elves, and im sorry they got the short-stick, but i’m not - and neither is a lot of other players - going to stand there and take :poop: from angry night-elf players because ‘we dont fully understand the problems of being a night elf, maaaan’.

3 Likes

I agree it is all a matter of HOW one transports a message. But sometimes, one also needs to call-a-spade-a-spade, if you pardon me saying so.

Having followed the discussions from the beginning of BfA with regards to Teldrassil burning, I had the impression that - Blizzard shrugging off their bad call, turning sullen and silent - ignoring the complaint of the player base - no, actually failing to understand what it is all about - made the Nelf player base bitter and sometimes also resentful. But, imo, the fact remains that due to Blizzards a) callous approach to its player base or b) sheer incompetence on behalf of the directors in charge (huge frown) there has been no ‘‘healing’’ for a relatively large portion of their customers. And, as long as this hasn’t been addressed, Blizzard will a) continue to lose subscribers and b) the word will spread that Blizzard Entertainment gives a flying toss about their customers. Both aspects are bad for business. Any professional would tell you, too.

2 Likes

You are in the illusion player base cares about the story. But they really do not. Nerds like us are the minority :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well yes, i understand why they feel like that, and i’ve completely - and repeatedly - said how all stories - including mostly the night elves - need serious improvement.

but this does not give any player - not just night elves - grounds to flip the switch, put on a blindfold and fire a shotgun in whatever random direction they like just because of this issue. it’s not at all welcoming, nor is it healthy and neither is it connecting to a community that strives to remain together.

it’s a simple principle. to the point that i’d say that if this becomes the norm of conveying their message, then the night elven community will just end up digging and widening an already yawning hole deeper for themselves.

rest of your stuff aligns with the rest. we’re all victims of that.

3 Likes