Balance of power (8.1. spoilers)

Yeah but the Alliance will get a new horse mount. Honestly I don’t know why you people are complaining at all. Do you not have horses?!

3 Likes

We got a character progression of Tyrande.

Imo it’s really interesting for the race. I mean how that happens & how they suffered.

Where are they in the Story. They are nothing.

3 Likes

Champions of the Alliance, At last the time has come for us to reclaim what is rightfully ours! Our final push to retake Lordaeron Keep shall commence at dawn. The Horde and their Warchief must answer for their crimes!

King Anduin Wrynn

But:

If that was the case, I doubt he would launch this massive war or siege Lordaeron as a whole. He would simply send assassins after her.
Yes, I agree he might consider Sylvanas the crux of the problem, but as of now, he isn’t shying away from pursuing further goals that work in the Alliance interest. Including conquering Lordaeron.
Hence why I consider what happened at UC as some kind of victory for the Alliance, because as Blizzard themselves said: what the leader says doesn’t necessarily represents the camp.
And the siege greatly benefitted the Alliance as s whole. To the point it was marketed as a conquest of the place by both the king and the supreme commander in charge.

That said, I agree with you regarding that nitpicking quest text isn’t really adequate. But here actions are speaking much louder than words.
You don’t bring a whole army, siege towers, and 10 different generals to kill a single leader.

UC was still an Alliance victory. It’s success can be measured in many ways, but it was indeed a victory to some degree.

1 Like

Delaryn is the main Night Elves Hero of the Elegy book. And where is trolls king? One patch npc…
And Sira was always since Cata as second role npc present in game.

2 Likes

Nobody wanted them on Horde side to begin with.
I wanted more Horde heroes, or return of old ones like Kiryn, Shokia, Jorin and Gorgonna, Norsala.

Not Alliance character or that petty loser who should’ve stay dead.

2 Likes

What make them so special?

3 Likes

That’s all I wanted to say.

As for the rest, I can simply repeat this:

1 Like

Just read the book.
All the drama, all the tears and pain about Delaryns destiny. Night Elves finally get a great character who died in the end of the book.

Blizzard have seen that players liked her and… they give her away to the Horde…
Another punch to the Alliance face.

1 Like

You just don’t understand that she is mirroring Sylvanas. I think that is the reason why Sylvanas wanted to raised her. I hope that she will stay an interesting character with new secrets.

1 Like

Me, I hope we get to kill her as part of the Warfront. The last thing we need is another edgy Forsaken elf hanging around the lore like a bad stink.

5 Likes

If the horde fully defeated the Nightelves, why are they still fighting?
They lost their capital and 2 zones, yes. But they kept most of their military, their leaders and other outposts across most continents.
And blizzard compensates Nightelves by reacting to all the whining and complaining about being treated unfair while 2 of the 4 classic horde races are without leader for years (Trolls since the beginning of Legion, Orcs since SoO) and you were allowed to raid 2 of our cities without any kind of compensation.

I would love to raid SW and kill Anduin and 2 Addons later rampage through Kul Tiras and kill Jaina (one Allied race-leader for another… parity etc.)

6 Likes

Sure. But before that, you need to get kicked around like the Alliance was. So, let us say we burn several of your settlements, keep conquered territory after the treaty, and later attack you in a war that will make you look like idiots. In return, you do not get to rampage through Kul Tiras, no. That’s an Alliance state, you see. Zandalar is not Horde territory. You can attack Furbolgs instead.

I gave you a like, but you gotta see the other side of the fence.

10 Likes

DEAL!
You can raid all our cities and kill all our boring faction leaders, but in return we get to be on the conflicted and aggressive side that is out for blood.

4 Likes

Brigante typing intensifies, this gonna be good.

4 Likes

Zandalar is an ally of the Horde, Kul’tiras was an alliance state once, but is at the moment just an ally.

I would love for the alliance to bomb a crappy outpost in return for Theramore (i know theramore was a city, but we don’t have those except our capitals) and maybe the Goblin town in Azshara (we already lost a capital, and blizz propably intended it to compensate for Teldrassil without realizing how stupid that is)

The main problem is, that blizzards writing this Expanision seems just bad.
Both factions lose a capital, obviously for parity, but none ef their writers seems to realize that 10000s of civilians getting burned alive feels different to a retreat/trap and blowing up your own city. and both feels bad for everyone.

I really hated the burning of teldrassil, and the siege of Lordaeron. And i hate the “haha we’re so evil”-writing for the horde and the “knight in shining Armor”-writing for alliance.
It goes 100% against the marketed “morally gray on both sides” and teldrassil was so black that nothing the alliance does even closely compares…

8 Likes

Heh, no its not. It joined back, even Sylvanas comments on it. For the rest, I completely agree.

3 Likes

Yeh Zandalar doesn’t have the best history with the rest of the horde tbh.

I mean there have been plenty of times where zandalari trolls have been completely direct enemies.

They tried to recruit the darkspear yeh, but they obviously refused. Further muddying the relationship between the darkspear trolls and zandalari and therefore them and the horde.

Until BfA ofc where the horde save their land and give a lot of assistance and everything is fine and dandy and now they will be recruited into the Horde as if nothing has happened.
But before this they have never been considered allies really.

Also people begging for Amani trolls… I get why but do you really think the blood elves would be okay with them joining the horde after their given history?

Regarding the interview and the dev view on all this, I wanted to add this.

Here’s where I suspect the disconnect is. Their view is like this:

1. Burning of Teldrassil happened. Major “bad thing” for the Alliance.
  2. Siege of Lordaeron is a break-even, maybe slightly for the Alliance, maybe not, but no real winners.
  3. Burning of Dazar’alor counteracts event 1, bringing things back to parity.

But we, the players, experienced something a little different:

1. Burning of Teldrassil happened. This is still unquestionably a major dump on the Alliance, but the Horde begins to fracture over the bluntness of Sylvanas’ villainization.
  2. Siege of Lordaeron is a break-even as far as the military tally goes, but is still stuffed chock-full of ‘Horde tension’ themes, including Anduin’s “She’s blighting her own troops” and Saurfang’s decision to try and suicide by Alliance.
  3. Horde and Alliance players quest from 100 to 110 in the new zones. Alliance players experience themes of renewal, empowerment, reconciliation, and redemption, while Horde players experience decay, defeat, fracture and frustration.
  4. Horde and Alliance players partake in their respective War Campaigns. Alliance War Campaign has them strike at a number of Horde assets (even if some of them don’t exist for the Horde, the spymaster and the Golden Fleet are big ones). The Horde War Campaign is a muddled mess that involves raising a few undead and hunting for a corpse of questionable value, which is discarded at the end of the campaign (Valentine) and a random artifact which is given scant explanation (Tide Scepter).
  5. The Battle of Dazar’alor occurs. The Horde suffers a defeat here while the Alliance claims a victory, a fact noted by NPCs of both sides.
  6. The War Campaign continues in 8.1. The Horde’s efforts of the previous patch are almost entirely invalidated with the theft of the Tide Scepter, and all that remains is Derek Proudmoore’s corpse, which is used only to further Sylvanas villainization and Horde disunity themes. The Alliance opens up a new front of questionable value in Darkshore, and Tyrande gains a power-up of questionable value. The Horde raises Night Elves. Nobody seems particularly happy with the course of these events.
  7. Horde disunity continues with the Saurfang saga. Horde players are being asked to explicitly pick a side, cementing and canonizing the divide in the playerbase.

To conclude, they seem to be ONLY looking at the score in terms of major story event tallies, which is why they’ve concluded that Dazar’alor restores things to even. Players, however, have been experiencing the story not just through these major events, but through gameplay as well, which is why I think it is possible for them to both think that things are “even” while at the same time the Horde can feel like they’ve been kicked into the mud with 8.1.

=====

There, this sums up how Horde players feel regarding this. Credit to Jellex.
Very well put.

That’s why reading threads like these becomes hard for Horde players in general (and certain Alliance players apparently).

4 Likes

I want Amani Trolls and Blood Elves will just have to tighten their jaws!

1 Like

I mean it would be awesome, but blood elves lorewise won’t be happy making it unlikely lorewise, especially when we already have a second troll race to play in game soon.

1 Like