Benthic gear: Is it catch-up system, or raiding BiS?

false btw.

I have 450 boots in my inventory. They have a secondary stat budget of 232
My socketed 425 benthic boots have a secondary stat budget of 264 (214 without the gem)

We currently are getting starved of secondary stats, there are minimalistic amounts of increases with rising gear at the moment. When i exchanged my 435 cloak with a 430 with a socket, i lost ! 2 ! secondary stats from the item itself and gained 120 mainstat from the socket.
This is also the reason, why mainstats are so bad atm. For me this 120 int gem is juuuuuuuust about neutral to a 50 secondary stat gem.

So even in anything outside of nazjatar or ep, the socketed benthic items have a very high chance of being BiS, just because it is ‘easier’ to get a socket slot on them, because you can just play the lottery over and over and over again

2 Likes

Yeah, if you get to the point when int/str/agi is least valuable stat (like mine now) secondiaries are playing biggest role, i’ve changed my 430 gloves to benthic 415 bis + socket just for secondary stats. But getting benthic item to 425 is much more effort than single drop from raid.

not really, no.
brainafking yourself through a couple of world quests is not really something i call effort.
Boredom would be more of a term.

netflix on the second monitor and go

1 Like

Tell people that when you only have 2 hours a day.

I do only play about 2 hrs a day in wow, thank you very much.
You’re literally talking to someone here, who actually takes note of his gametimes because of having actually been addicted

[quote=“Varileztra-blackmoore, post:85, topic:72499, full:true”]
I do only play about 2 hrs a day in wow, thank you very much.
You’re literally talking to someone here, who actually takes note of his gametimes because of having actually been addicted
[/quote]Then you know what you say is extremely false. You just wont get the needed pearls in 2 hours just because you ran out of rares, and again, you still have to be lucky with rolls.

1 Like

i…am… LITERALLY DOING IT ?!

Getting 220 mana pears to upgrade benthic item from 385 to 425 will take you about 11 days assuming you will get 20 each day, and it’s just for single item. (Not including rolling those 5 manapearls to get concrete item with socket). This is almost 2x weekly reset with opportunity for raiding, weekly chests etc.
Another sink like azerite gear with residuum is.

Getting the amount of pearls you need to max them out takes some time, sure, but keep in mind that these items at ilvl 410 with a socket beat 455 items in the raid. Outside of the raid once you raise them to 420 they are better, more often than not, than a 440 piece.

As someone mentioned above if you have alts then it is even easier, because you can use the alts to buy tokens which you can then send to your main. I geared up 2 characters with the essential benthics this way. I was using 4 characters in total to farm pearls (2 main and 2 alt) and I did that in about 3 hours each day, but keep in mind I was also doing the emissaries which took longer than doing the pearl dailies and WQs (plus I tend to read forums and articles which makes me afk at times while I am in game.)

The key is to not use your pearls to buy tokens on your main, if you have an alt.

2 Likes

Ofcourse this method is better because you can be certain you will get desired item + upgrade eventually, when weekly chest or raid drops are total rng. It’s just slow.

1 Like

That is exactly why I like them. They are now the only reasonable way to get a bis item. With all of the other items you will most likely never have the best version of them.

No they are not. Bis is the gear that is the absolute best for that slot and a 445 socket item will always beat out Benthic gear, with the right stats. Them being easier to get doesn’t change that.

This char, lucky…

Main, so far 3/5 (incluidng the belt which is only good for 2/8 bosses) at socket, I barely have hope left I will get the boots and waist. Wasted 1000s of pearls… gambling for them.

Yep but I had no choice with how unlucky my main was with opening tokens, atleast i got the wrist at 420 with a socket eventually. It has BiS stats aswell but I want my darned boots, it’s the 9th week!

Yes, Those who do not have alts, or have only a single one suffer a lot from the lottery. I eventually got fed up and dropped the hope of getting the BiS bracers for my hunter and instead settled with a slightly weaker alternative (the pufferfish one.)

I can completely understand why quite a few in my guild have no benthics at all, or just the boots.

No, that’s the thing though, a 445 socket won’t beat out benthic gear… not at all. Just run the sims. Or look at this in raidbots:

/simbot/report/fPxKeEwR5a166Qd7Qh2rA1

Also the stats are completely irrelevant because it’s the effect where the power lies. There is never enough discrepancy between stat weights to make your statement true.

Benthic aside, outside of the obvious (rings for example), you’ll basically always take ilvl over stat priority, because even at a +5 ilvl with ‘bad’ secondaries, the main stat will nearly always compensate for the lost value between even your best and worst stat. The exception is in items with lower budgets, such as wrists, but the difference would still be negligible.

But yeah, no, you basically need 455 sockets to even be at the same output as benthic pieces. It’s not ‘like, my opinion maaaaan’, it’s in the numbers. They’re ridiculous.

The comment was was in regard to Benthic items outside of the raid so the effects wouldn’t matter. And outside of the raid 445 socket items are BiS.

Not at all. For example for me a 50 haste gem is actually better then the 120 int gems. Many specs are now at a spot where primary stats, and with that ilvl, doesn’t matter as much as secondaries.

1 Like

That isn’t exactly true. My guild leader (arms warrior) is still wearing a pair of 415 pair of boots from BoD. He has multiple 440 pairs but those aren’t an upgrade for him. I actually went and simmed him with a pair of boots that drop from the first boss (445 pair without socket) and those would be an upgrade for him…by 8 DPS.

It really depends on the spec at this point. For my BM hunter Agility is my weakest stat, and not by some miniscule amount either.

I think every class above ilvl 410 has this issue with main stat being lowest on priority list, it’s just stupid when more strenght doesn’t mean dps gain…

Pretty much every dps spec is at that point, but it doesn’t matter. The only stats that change on gear is the secondaries, and there’s never enough discrepancy to matter horrendously. It’s normal to find your main stat at 2 points lower than your highest secondary, but you’ll often find there’s much less than a 1 point difference between secondaries. At a 5 ilvl difference between a piece with ‘good’ stats and a piece with ‘bad’ stats, you’re basically always going to find yourself in sidegrade territory, in which case you pick ilvl for stamina.

Your statement about primary stat is incorrect.

Lets take a look at my 445 boots: 431 int, 95 haste and 134 mastery.
Lets take a look at the same boots at 450: 452 int, 96 haste and 136 mastery.

The gain at +5ilvl is 3 secondaries and 21 main stat. It’s irrelevant that main stat provides less dps when you get 7x as much of it, because intellect is not 7x worse than my best secondary.

This is why when you transition 5 ilvls to a piece with ‘bad’ secondaries, the difference in value between those secondaries is bridged by your main stat.

I mean, you conveniently left out the fact that your GM’s 415 boots have a socket. I was comparing the difference in secondary values, and how much primary stat compensates for ilvl difference - you can’t throw a socket into the mix randomly…

Besides, 440 boots beat his 415 boots even if you take the socket into account.

/simbot/report/8MwCHpazC8uxpd1L5mYUDS