Can we please have our characters' identity/agency back?

Oh I don’t say it can’t be done. I even think it should be done. I’m only saying it might be way more work than you think. :slight_smile:

But again though…I truly don’t see how it is more work when it’s already been done with Baroness and Countess from Shadowlands. (and these words are probably less used and would require more work for other languages, than Priestess)

And with team’s growing…I still don’t believe it’s all that much work, to add in a few extra letters, which truly fit with the WoW lore :slight_smile:

1 Like

Again: There are languages where you can’t just exchange a single word for the different genders. Somebody here said, I believe it was Spanish where i.e. verbs do have a gender. If you have questtext you will need one text per gender, not one Text with a few placeholders for the gendered names. Means if you add 200 quests with 3 Texts on average per quest (1 text for accept, 1 text for finish and some quests have additional texts) and with 2 Genders + Genderneutral, you’ll need 200 * 3 * 3 Texts in English ~1800 Texts for 200 Quests on average and the same amount per language it is translated into.

Considering that we only got referred to as “Champion” and “Hero” in quest text, then I still don’t see the issue, to be fair :slight_smile:

This is literally a request for an extra flavour of RPG side to the game…but it’s something that actually works within the game, beautifully.

Again, I’m not opposed. I’m only pointing out the sheer amount of work. If I search on wowhead for all quests introduced in DF, I can find 4010 Quests. If we again assume an average of 3 texts per quest and only gender it for 3 genders, that would be nearly 36100 texts per language. That could be an example for a new expansion including later patches. Not sure if the world quests are included in the search.
If you would translate all quests for every expansion + the base game on retail, you find 36561 quests on wowhead, which would be 329049 texts.

(or did I understand your intention wrong?)

So, while I’d for sure prefer they would put in the work and redo all existing quests, I think we have more chances for blizz integrating the blood elve and draenei starter area into the normal eastern kingdom and kalimdor maps and get flying enabled there.

But I hope in the future they’ll do it for new expansions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think they need to be that specific where every quest is “Priest/Priestess.”

I mean, back in classic - the Dolannar Priest quest had the Sentinel NPC say “Thank you Priest/ess”, depending if you were a male night elf priest or female night elf priest.

Perhaps, just class specific quests like them old ones, would be enough…but then have the “High Priestess” title available for our female characters.

3 Likes

Wait…you want the type of class gendered in the quests? o.O…that’d be even more :dizzy_face:

It worked when Blizzard were a small team of a handful, back in Classic…I don’t see what the issue is of these devs doing…oh I don’t know…their jobs!

Wouldn’t that just be some code they can just copy each time? I mean they’re already doing half the work when NPC’s sometimes call us by class anyway.

1 Like

They (Blizzard) chose to go down the woke rabbit hole so it’s only fair that the community hold them to those ridiculous standards.

I think they should allow us to change the genders of all characters in-game and the text and voice acting should reflect it.

The more ridiculous the idea, the better.

10/10 thread.

Pretty sure back in the day during vanilla, they did just throw in the class name with both genders in a placeholder in the text. But later they had to realize, it is a) “lazy” to write “Priest/ess” and in the time we’re in now, you expect better and b) it gives you a lot of trouble in translations. That’s for sure why you don’t find such anymore.

Except you do because we have Baron/ess and Count/ess, so… :woman_shrugging: :rofl:

Do they actually write it in that “lazy” way inside of a quest text? o.O
I mean with both genders together in the text. In a newer expansion.

Maybe since MS nuked their DEI it will also be passed down to WoW.

But DEI topic aside, mispronounce is sensitive topic for some, so it’s rather strange that they didn’t create option to choose one as player prefers.

Personally, I don’t care, as long as they’re not calling me something offensive.

Yes, if I remember it correctly. When I completed the Maldraxxi Questline on my Blood Elf Shadow Priest, I’m sure the NPC cheered “Baroness of Maldraxxus!” If said Priest was Male, then I’m sure it would have been “Baron of Maldraxxus.”

In FFXIV when voiced cutscenes happen they usually say “my” or “our” friend. But sometimes they also say “he” or “she” which means they record multiple lines. Now, voiced cutscenes in FFXIV are tons more compared to WoW. Calling us champion or friend wouldn’t bother me. But there’s tons of unvoiced text in the game where this could work.

2 Likes

Ah ok…so not mushed together, but always the correct one. And I guess only in the pact specific quests? (I did play SL, but I seriously don’t recall that at all xD)

Doesn’t matter anyways. They should make texts gendered into the 3 genders. It’s a ton of work, but it would make it better for all of us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can’t remember it, but I do recall being referred to as “Baroness of Maldraxxus” at some point and I only know that because Shadow Priest was the first class I levelled in that dire expansion and I swore I’d never level a Shadow Priest as my first toon again…bad memories of how bad SL was.

Speaking of titles. What’s the male equivalent to “Crazy Cat Lady”?

1 Like