Can we please have our characters' identity/agency back?

May I ask which expansion you’re talking about?

Endwalker. I won’t go too deep into it to avoid derailing the thread but the English localisation is heavily compromised and complicit in misleading players with retcons and rhetoric that is not reflected in the Japanese, French or German versions of the game.

It was also originally meant to be two separate expansions but instead ended up being one - throwing away much of Garlemald and the Ascians in order to give us Dawntrail which, uh, let’s just say the reactions to Wuk Lamat suddenly becoming the most prominent character has received mixed reactions.

There’s a lot of other little things that added up too - I was tempted to try it back in ARR because it appeared to enjoy a slow burn with its story and took itself relatively seriously with political intrigue.

Now the development team is catering directly to those who want to attend ‘venues’ and everything from gear design to furniture design seems geared towards that these days.

At least with WoW, the style never changed quite to the point where I felt it was becoming a completely different game. I’m not pleased with some of the changes, but the stuff I looked forward to building up in the background was not unceremoniously cast aside like in FFXIV.

1 Like

Btw, it’s nice to see the OP restored.
Flagging it really felt like a knee-jerk reaction of some people who just read a couple of words.

There’s hope for this forum yet. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Pew nee elf

usually worked XD

I understand when foreigners say it wrong and say punny but when Brits do it I’m like where did you learn to read!

I can see what you mean, especially with Dawntrail. Interestingly enough the issue I’m describing in the OP doesn’t exist in Dawntrail. Every other quest or side quest my character gets called “Mistress name” and stuff.

1 Like

Some people might have already realized I’m not an English native speaker. I’m actually a German native speaker, but since quite some years I watch movies and TV series exclusively with the original English audio. And I remember a scene from Avengers which for sure teached me how to say it correctly. Think “I am a god, you dull creature. And I will not be bullied by…” - BAM! BAM! BAM! - “puny god!” :joy:

Considering they deleted two genders rather than adding; I’m going to guess they do not care about this.

I’d have rather gotten Women, Men, Other, XxX
with the option to pick both what to be called, and voice.

Then again, I also want undeads of every race. :dracthyr_tea:

2 Likes

You seem to be bothered by a problem even less of an issue than the OPs topic, though?

Well for all its faults, it does that right. Also we’re no longer called warrior of light every 2nd scene

1 Like

Yes!!! Maybe that’s how I should explain it

1 Like

Creating separate texts for every gender requires work and Blizzard probably wants to reduce work.

But I agree that adding a bit roleplay into this game would certainly help. I’d also love to have more voice options, let my character talk a bit more. I think one could count with their fingers how many times character says something.

1 Like

To be honest, if they were able to do it in the Faillands with Baron/Baroness and Count/Countess, then I don’t see why they can’t do it now - especially when they gloat about how much they’ve expanded their team.

Just give some extremely lore fitting appropriate titles, that also fit female characters. It was done in the aforementioned. High Priest/Priestess isn’t anything major…it’s just something that feels extremely lore fitting, especially if you play a female Night Elf, Blood Elf, Troll and Human

3 Likes

In quite some languages you can’t just exchange a single word. So, you need 3 separate texts, not one text with a few words having extra translations.

If it was done with Baron/Baroness, then it can be done here.

I don’t see the issue…especially if we’re to believe that Blizzard’s team has expanded.

1 Like

So I just checked over on the US forums and someone made a similar (?) thread about this. And man… people are REALLY active over there huh? Topic was made an hour ago and it’s getting spammed pretty much, but it looks like they’re all just meme-ing instead of having an actual discussion.

I wouldn’t expect anything constructive from the US forums tbh…Blizzard’s priorities of tending to them is completely warped when you actually see what those posters say and it never amounts to anything worthy of consideration.

1 Like

Does Blizz at least check this side of the forums?

These days…no.
The EU mods are just here to get their paycheck and to ensure we behave within the ToS…they won’t take any of our thoughts over to the main devs on the US forums.

I only remember one time, during Faillands and it was regarding Nightborne customisation, and Blizzard finally took note of the thread.

1 Like

Ah, that’s unfortunate…

1 Like

It is.

We have our radicals over here, such as those who had your initial OP, muted (and then thankfully got unmuted), but I think the majority of the EU forum posters are very level-headed…far more than the US counterpart.

3 Likes