Can we please have our characters' identity/agency back?

Nothing like a good content drought and a knackered pre-prepatch to get the old gears grinding, is there?

Only this morning I was thinking about mail armour, and wondering why there’s no femail armour. Or theirmail armour.

I hope the next patch works, I don’t think I can hold out much longer…

Uff…I don’t know enough English for that…hermit? :joy:

This is a good example of what I’m talking about btw. And you can see it in one of the very first quests in the game.

i.imgur.com/gQOh4Vw.png (can’t link images)

Stuff like this was all over the place before DF.

Means for most of the quests we already have 2 out of 3 finished.

btw. Put the links in backticks, it helps:
https://imgur.com/gQOh4Vw

those: `

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah, pretty much. And honestly if other languages like someone mentioned here already do this for DF that means it’s in the game, it’s just not turned on for the English version.

I think the heat is finally cooking my brain…of course we have make and female finished for everything before DF…too warm here in my office, I tell ya.

1 Like

I think we better pretend I didn’t write some of the stuff I did write X)

1 Like

If I remember right, Blizzard even did put some code into the game during SL hinting at such a feature. But it never went live afaik.

That comment reminds me of a video from an interview with Morgan Freeman.

It’s a good point of feedback. I think it’s been voiced before, often with an emphasis on the inconsistency. I.e. you’re the adventurer, then you’re the champion, then a friend, hero, class title, or he or she.

Sometimes it makes sense, but often it’s weird that a character that was there when I was given the title of High Priest now goes around and calls me something else.

And yeah, why am I even a High Priest? Shouldn’t I be a Priestess?

I sometimes wonder how it gets across in translation and into the localized languages that have more distinct differences between male and female words, like French or Spanish.

3 Likes

Lots of checkmarks done in just that one character alone :laughing:.

1 Like

And we will likely wait another 1000 years for that. Because being “equal” and having “equal responsibility” are 2 unrelated things to them.

I’m not going to stop playing my favourite game because muh woke agenda and other dumb buzzwords, if that’s what’s wild to you.

That does seem normal there? I hear people just openly meme and spam threads like that.

You’d be surprised. In Russian for example classes r simply gendered by default. All it takes is an ingame toggle to display that in text. It might be a little more work to do the initial setup, say, actually add high priestess at all. Beyond that though, it’s really just “if male - male pronouns” in text. Bonus work would only really need to be done when voiced and then again we’re rarely addressed in a way that we need that for this to be an issue.

(gendered class names)

It’s just there. There’s no neutral pronoun used in Spanish I’d imagine. They have you/he/she/it and a 5th (Usted) that is basically a way to address people in a more official, respectful way. Say, if you were to address a teacher, for example. But I’ve genuinely never heard of a case like English.
Even my language just defaults to “he” type pronouns when talking about an unknown entity.

3 Likes

Give it a few years. With luck, this nonsense aka new pronounses will disappear and the world will be normal again.

4 Likes

I do believe that reality always wins … in the end. The problem is that our society is so rich that we can afford to ignore reality for a long, long time. Maybe longer than we can survive as a social entity. Certainly longer than I will survive as a biological one.

It was a misunderstanding on my side anyways. :smiley:
But also, while in Russian you seem to be able to just exchange a single word, we learned in the thread, it’s not even close to being that easy in i.e. Spanish. And if you have that problem in one language, you need to design the translation system already after that one and therefor, the easy to do languages hardly make it easier. :confused:

The quilboar.

1 Like

Well…

It’s causing a bit of controversy, let’s just say.

The problem here isnt the terms but the fanatics for and against this kind of things.
Choice is always better

1 Like

Well, i don’t know Russian all that well, but I’m pretty sure it works similarly. In fact you have to pick something when creating a character so the game knows how to address your name.

Basically, all I’m saying is, they’re doing it. In English everyone’s a they on purpose and they put in less effort rather than more to do that. In other languages they put in the extra effort for it all to be gendered, including class names. Soo… no, we should expect that this is something they can do.

1 Like