Captain Winky and Oralius Problematic Transphobic Jokes

Preach truth !

Well, to be specific I have had patients with Downs syndrome on occasions, and have heard staff make malicious jokes about them. I do not personally think this is ok at all. But if others find this humouristic, I suppose that is their perogative. :woman_shrugging:

You have to be kidding if you want world act to people with illnesses.

That is the thing with humour; it’s very subjective.
Now, I’ve made jokes about others that some might view as inappropriate, cruel, even racist. But then again; I’ve also made jokes about myself. Others have made jokes about me as well. And I’m not an emotional wreck.

In school I basically never got bullied or teased (while there were reasons to do so) because I never presented myself as a victim. I understand that we’re all different and not everyone would be able to do what I did, but I feel it does prove that everyone CAN do that.

If you’re a nurse, you’re probably a caring person? So it makes sense you’re more sensitive towards those you care for - or those who you believe deserve/need care.
As an outsider I’d think: How much of those jokes do those patients actually understand? That’s a tough issue when it comes to mental disabilities.

And sure; for mentally disabled people, they’d probably need someone to do the talking for them. Much like my toddler example.

But I stand by my opinion: I think any and all comedy is fine as long as it doesn’t break any laws. Comedians should retain the ability to make any joke; and we as the audience get to make it clear to them whether we think it’s funny or not.

That’s terrible however there is a vast difference between someone who can’t speak up (for whatever the reason is) and someone who won’t speak up. Many people who say they can’t speak up are actually people who can but don’t.

My question to you in that scenario is did you speak up for the patient with Downs Syndrome? If you just let it happen then you’re a part of the problem you’re trying to highlight.

That is a valid view and I will admit it is rather accurate towards my personality.

I do not wish to derail the thread entirely. But I firmly believe that my patients, which are a varied and lovely bunch of people with various disabilities and issues all do on some level understand us.

But I do not wish to censor anyone of course. I firmly believe in freedom of speech. But I also believe in a saying my father often uses. Translated from my language it is something like this. “The one with the wit (smarts) must be the one to apply (use) it.” It makes more sense in my language.

But even I can laugh at some mean jokes at times, but my favourite comedy is Seinfeldt. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It makes sense in english as well. :grin:
And yeah; just making jokes to insult and shock and such isn’t my sort of humour either usually.
But I do like the kinds of jokes that touch on (incovenient) truths and make you laugh and then think; hey… but they have a point there, I guess. I’m also a fan of awkward humour; making either/both the people involved in the comedy and the watcher feel awkward. Love that.

You are late for that.

I think this is a hard situation. I would speak up but then you risk your colleagues acting different towards you. I worked in a hospital with elderly people most of them having dementia. It’s sad how often they get made fun of too. Or kept in bed all day with a diaper on instead of being taken to the toilet which costs 5 minutes of your time.

If you make fun of the people you are ment to care for I wonder why you would become a nurse at all…

such people are mentally ill too and unfit for job.

Agreed.

True, but the same goes for enabling the behaviour by saying nothing.

As I said this might be hard to do. It depends on the bond you have with the colleagues. You still have to work together in the end.

Yes and no. There’s social consequences tied to ‘speaking up’. If the ones doing the ‘joking’ are higher up in the work environment for instance, this might prove professional suicide.

Not just that. If for example I see a bunch of men ganging up on someone I would not get involved either thinking of my own safety and small height :sweat_smile:.

I would however go with the option safe for me and call the police.

2 Likes

It really isn’t though, if you feel so strongly about it you would a speak up.

Sometimes not joining in or leaving the room when it happens to not have to listen is all you can do. If you want to speak up to your superiors then by all means do so. Remember that your next work will call them asking questions about you though.

Something from inside will come up called “common sense” if you know you might be in danger and see a big group you can not beat you will think twice no matter how strongly you feel… unless your just some idiot who is to stupid to be afraid but i dont really think they exist

So speaking up about wrongdoings is not common sense now?

The idiot is the person enabling the behaviour by doing nothing.

Your own safety should always be your first thought :woman_shrugging: (unless your kids are involved). Also making sure you yourself treat people well is sometimes all you can do.

2 Likes