Cata Classic is dead

As we saw with Wrath classic, it’s popularity declined a lot during the last weeks. I think the reason was that people realized that they did not want to farm ICC endlessly. Even private servers are small communities.

Yes, Wrath is super popular in China but it’s because it’s an event at the moment. They didn’t get Ulduar before the server shutdown.

At the same time, this should send alarms to Blizzard. Their older content is much more popular than their recent content.

I’m reading that Microsoft is firing another 650 employees now.

Why are you even playing Cata then? You know vanilla servers are still available right?

Wait?.. What?.. They are?

z0mG I had no idea!!! All that stuff I wrote above about me playing on Classic Era was written by my cousin Jeb who sometimes uses the PC when I’m doing my furry cosplay stuff.

1 Like

Using raid logs as a metric to measure total population is doomed to fail. An awful lot of players never raid: all those ‘filthy casuals’ that make up the majority of the populations.

Seemed reasonably busy to me last time I logged in on a raid night.

Is much like voting for a game/movie or survey. You don’t need the whole population to make an idea about what you are looking for.

Reasonably. That’s the key word. And I’m sure you weren’t even on a Layer. In Wotlk I remember having …10 (?) layers at launch and then like 4-5 depending on the hour you were playing.

Key word(s) here are : Most knew that Cata will happen and that Blizzard will not add permanent Wotlk Classic Server(s) and …well … combining with ICC and longer period of farming the same, most decided to /quit the game.

I mean why wouldn’t they? I did the same know that there will be no permanent servers the more we were close to Cataclysm launch.

I…came back for Cataclysm since I didn’t played it when it was first launched back in the days, but man, what a shtty expansion. At this point I am 110% sure that I will enjoy MoP more. I don’t know why, but I have this feeling.

Zero doing with this discussion.

I guess the argument I am making is that if Wrath was such a great expansion, people would have stuck to farming ICC. But they didn’t. Nostalgia blind sighted people. ICC has only one good fight, the Lich King. People came to realize it quickly.

I mentioned it because I wanted to point out that Blizzard’s newer content is not doing well.

In the past they would tout expansion sales. For the last expansions they haven’t. TWW was the least watched WoW expansion launch ever.

1 Like

Who would’ve thought that a franchise Blizzard intended to bleed dry from the get go, would eventually lose players?

It’s not like we saw it happening in BC, Wotlk and SoD. /s

2 Likes

You may be right, but as I said, who would keep farming ICC if they knew that Wotlk Servers will not be a thing? The people who had zero interest with Cata, have quit the game in the last 3 months of Wotlk. I am sure of that.

ICC was released in October 12 and Cataclysm was announced November 3. If you look at the graphics on ironfoge, they cleared ICC for some weeks, saw no announcement of permanent Wotlk servers and they /quit it with zero desire to keep farming. That’s the story I personally think many had.

That’s true. I don’t know how well TWW is doing, but by the look of it, not that great.

Of course! They release 3 the worst expansions ever …in a ROW : BfA, Shadowlands and Little Dragons. This was the first in the history of WoW.

Compare Classic, BC and Wotlk with Cata yes?

https://ironforge.pro/population/classic/overall/

1 Like

You forget what was also announced at Blizzcon, except for Cata classic. And what made half a million raiders pick up vanilla raiding again later that year. The one thing that literally killed both my active WotLK raiding guilds deep into ICC heroic progression within a week of its release.

1 Like

Oh! SOD.

Hm! That also make sense because that’s the months Wotlk raiders dropped ( December 2023 - January 2024 ).

Well, I knew it wasn’t actually Wotlk fault, but Blizzard messed up the released windows.

@Blizzard , add Wotlk servers already!!

1 Like

Finally we can agree on something, the release date of SoD was indeed horrible.

Yes, finally!

…but then came the big question : Why Cata Bad? :smiley:

Because no real releases like with Wotlk has happened. It fact, it was released in a very “free period” . No real launches of something to interfere with the launch of Cata, etc.

Oh well. To each his own anyway! How is Cata this days?

Thats actually not right at all.

You again? LOL.

You know, when you come with a PRO or CON, you also give info.

You may be right, but …go ahead and give me that proof.

Thanks!

Nah i cba wasting time explaining things to you as you’re too ignorant and all youre capable of is saying “cata bad”.

cata was great, cata classic is not great. Still good though, but nowhere near classic/tbc/wrath levels of “goodness”

What is levels of “goodness”? Nothing is really changed from Wrath. Play Cata Classic and then TWW and you can see that Cata is very similar to Wrath that actually retail. The issue is not game but community and right now many servers are just “quiet” and “dead”

But you did wasted time to write this :

Why ?

…and then when I asked you to stand proud of your remark, you … are just QQing ?

Man please … lol!

Proof or be quiet next time!

Cos it Takes 5 sec ofc.

Just checked! Literally zero big releases to … conflict with Cataclysm release.

Now shh!

Cata bad! Get used with.