Community Members Cap

A little while, me and Jaigo started a community called Zen Horde.

This community is aimed at bringing back the social aspect to the game and having fun, and so far the community has delivered just this, the community is thriving and a lot of people are having fun, making friends and doing activities! some even expressed that only because of the community they are still playing the game!

However recently it has come to my attention that there is a cap on how many members you can have in the community, with our community being at 600+ members and rapidly growing now, we are about to hit the member cap.

I don’t think 1000 members is enough for such a cool community, and I certainly don’t want to exclude people from joining us, therefor I make this thread looking for support from fellow players and to ask blizzard to increase the cap on community members, let us share the love and make much more friends.

I also would like to ask for blizzard to give us more QoL and utilities for communities in general.

With such an enormous number of members the chat can be sometimes difficult to track, and it would be awesome if we could designate subchannels for the community, while doable in the game channels themselves, that is not optional and often bloats the number of windows, so I was thinking something akin to how discord channels work within the community framework ( The J tab ).

Another thing I’d like to shed light on, is that with the size increase of a community, a problem arises, out of such a big number there’s bound to be one or two bad apples, and since we mostly use a forum link to make it easier for new members to join, one problem of said links is that anyone can use them, repeatedly and so if a player was removed, they can just use the link to rejoin the community.

I would like for blizzard to give the communities the ability to filter people through the invite links, something like preventing any character from a players bnet account from joining the community.

Another thing I would like to shed light upon is, communities usually are much larger than guilds, and they span multiple servers, this way multiple players are always connected and it feels like home, and so me and many other players prefer communities over guilds, in fact I refuse to join guilds right now because I’m finding communities to be a much better alternative.

It would be really cool if the communities could provide guild perks, and the ability to display the community name instead of the guild name for players.

I also want to shed light one of the very cool features existing in HotS.

In HotS you can list yourself in a pool for people looking to do certain activities such as QM n stuff and then you can see friends and other people looking for members for such activities.

I think it would be cool if we could get an activity tab for community members, for example I could list myself as looking for M+!

A lot of the times, I see the chat getting tangled abit when multiple people are talking and wanting to do different activities, hopefully with the ability to list your current interest you can easily reach other community members and talk to them / group up with them :smiley:

Finally I’d like to conclude that one of the most amazing things about Wow is the community, and lately this aspect has been diminishing a little by little, however with the introduction of communities I feel like this has been greatly mended.

I honestly feel like communities are the next big thing and more interest should be shown in them, and more upgrades should be introduced to them!

Thank you very much for introducing such a cool feature blizzard, and I really hope that this message gets through and we get a community member cap increase!

For anyone interested in our community! feel free to join us, Zen Horde is a chilled community that is all about bringing back the social aspect of the game, having fun and not really caring about performance and such, no one is pressured to do anything and no expectations are there, just fun and socializing :D, below is the link to the communities recruitment post :smiley:

10 Likes

Best of luck with your community. What a great initiative.

Just out of curiosity do you find you have 600 active members or do you need to manage inactives and remove them more frequently?

GL with the campaign to increase to 1k.

2 Likes

In the community framework you can see the number of members in the community.

For example it shows we have 42(online)/620(total members in the community) atm.

I don’t really want to remove inactive members because I want people who take a break to have a place to come back too :smiley: , and if you count alts then you can probably gauge the real number of unique players in the community to be about 400 ( my guestimate ).

1 Like

1000 characters is alot tho. It shouldnt generally fill up that quickly, unless you have alot of altoholics in your community, then its easily something about 10 to 50 characters per person

The best thing you can do atm is try to limit it by only allowing a certain amount of alts per person and remove long inactive players. I think you can also be in several communities at the same time, so you can try making a “Zen Horde alt” community to get another 1000 slots

2 Likes

The community started about 5 months ago, following the formula of inviting friendly people we enjoyed their company, forum link and friends.

I spam a lot of M+, and generally that’s 4 people invited per run, somehow 2 weeks ago we were approaching the 500 members mark slowly but steadily, and since the introduction of the community search function that number has rapidly increased to 631.

I don’t think limited alts would be a cool thing as we want to include everybody, even if we do the community plans to exist for a very long period of time, possibly spanning a lot of expansions, we are bound to hit the cap number sooner or later, right at this moment we have 66 members online! it’s safe to say there is almost always a couple of people online and it’s only going to increase.

We also don’t really want to remove inactive members, because like I said we want to stay for a long period of time, and if someone comes back it would be nice for them to find a community of friends waiting for them, people won’t feel like they belong if they took a break and came back to find themselves booted from the community.

Therefor it’s better to address this issue early! cheers :smiley:

May I suggest you do what a similar community on alliance (SoD) does, which is publish a note in the main community tab which recommends active members and their alts to put a specific letter you determine in their member note to indicate they’re active. When you’re nearing cap, cull everyone who doesn’t have the letter in their note. They can always rejoin later if they want.

Every month or two change the letter to check who is actually active.

This stops people who join the community but then forget about it for months taking up a member slot. It’s good to “have a home” for people, but similarly its also unfair on people who want to actively use the community that they may be unable to join because say 15% of the roster is people who were active for a month then disappeared and may come back “one day”.

At least its a solution until the cap is increased, if it ever is.

4 Likes

The thing is, it’s counted by characters, not accounts… so people like me, who have like 14 120’s take up 14 slots if I were in on all 14 120’s… and I bet I am not alone.

E.g. I am a part of SoD as mentioned above, and I only have my main and one alt in there atm. Problem though, is that I am hardly ever on my main atm, but I don’t wanna take up slots with my alts, especially since the community is already pretty much full.

I think it would help a lot if it counted based on account and not characters. A lot of players seems to be altoholics these days, or maybe it’s just the people I hang out with…

2 Likes

1000 simply isn’t enough. We’re way over half that in just 5 months. If communities are to be kept running long term this needs to be upped, or the cap removed entirely.

It won’t be a nice feeling when we have to eventually turn around to new would-be members and say “sorry, we’d love to have you, but we’re full” and turn them away.

1 Like

But inactive people can always rejoin when they start playing the game again, especially if you constantly have the link on the forum. If you are nearing the limit priotitizing characters that actually get played on would be the best if you actually want to chat with people or do things together ingame

1 Like

I know, but there still would be a point where we get 1000 / near 1000 active players, since communities span several servers and wow isn’t exactly a small game.

Likely with the release of shadowlands a huge influx of players will be back, these players will want to belong somewhere and I don’t think 1000 members is enough to hold them.

And like I explained, I really want people to have a place to go home too, imagine you made lots of friends in the community, things were fun etc, you took a break for a month - 2 months to come back and find yourself booted? that’s not really nice.

It also goes against the values of Zen horde to expect players to put some sort of notification that they’re active, when the whole premise of the community is that nothing is expected from people, we are a gathering for people to have fun and chill.

Right now there are no problems, but I’m pretty sure we will reach a point were we will have 1000 thousand active members, what happens then?

1 Like

I have to say I agree with Hinata here.

Through years in guilds, I’ve seen members go offline for very long periods. The joy when they get back is really nice, and in some cases you forget people’s name, or your guild might have changed name since you left. Kind of hard to relocate them.

I am not a fan of booting people. I will admit that many of my friends over the years I no longer remember the character name of. I still remember their personality. Relocating them is hopeless. I’ve also had people return and be happy they haven’t been removed.

Sure, communities is a bigger concept, but I still think it would help greatly if membership was counted by account, and not character. 1000 unique members are harder to reach, than just 1000 characters.

1 Like

hm, i dont think its sensible to increase the cap limit because what if youve reached 1.5/2k players? do you want an increase again? i mean that would go on and on.

in my opinion blizzard should change the system in its entirety. people should need to sign up with their battlenet account so alts arent a problem as they always show the current character.

i thought about joining but i have serveral alts and im not always equally active on them so i dont want to take up like 3 spaces, that would make me feel bad. i would prefer to sign up with my battlenet account. :confused:

2 Likes

Exactly!

As I said above, I am a part of SoD, but I’m barely on there atm, because I don’t play my main much atm, and I don’t want to occupy slots with a large amount on undecided alts. I’m at a phase of the expansion when I swap around on characters a lot, and SoD don’t have space for all those alts I would have liked to be in there with, just to keep in touch more easily.

2 Likes

I’ve sent suggestions about all of this in the ingame tool months ago. I hope they will do something about it. I love the community feature, but it lacks a little bit in managing active/inactive members. But like mentioned above, in sod we set a members note and when we reach close to 1000 we purge those that are inactive to allow new members to join. We fint that to be the best solution for now.

2 Likes

There are battlenet communities but they have other issues. Like they show your battletag instead of character you’re on and u cant make events in calendar or invite from roster. And u dont really know if ppl are actually online in wow or just in the app or maybe playing another blizzard game.

2 Likes

Its a bit of a pita, but u can always join with an alt when u’re having a session and then leave when u’re done. But many ppl have alts in sod, so u shouldnt be afraid to join with yours. I went through the roster last night, and we have alot of members that havent changed the note from the last letter, so we can probably clear up more spots soon.

1 Like

Someone is doing mine I think, because I’ve never changed that note, but it keeps getting updated. I still keep an eye on it though.

1 Like

I usually take a minute to update ppls notes when i’m online :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh yeah, im not saying its perfect and thats why blizzard should rework their system in my opinion.

make it so only the leader can see the battletags or dont show them at all and only show the current character and only group the characters together like when you hover over the name with the mouse it shows the character of this one account without showing the battletag. or whatnot. i bet people can come up with solutions which would please the majority. :smile:

blizzard just needs to get off their butts and actually do something about it.

2 Likes

Yeah they need to rework that, its not really working the way it is now.

1 Like