Consequences of Overplaying... šŸ’„

You can actually go to NA meetings if you are a gaming addict.

Alsoā€¦

Hi Iā€™m Twiluna, and iā€™m a addict.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Oh damn youā€™re right, wow theres alot more help available already.

Kinda glad I left the house before this was a thing when I lived with my parents :laughing: Mightā€™ve been only slightly addicted, luckily my current job doesnā€™t really allow me to be since Iā€™m on call 24/7.

1 Like

None of this is original

Hello Twilunaā€¦

1 Like

Punyelf, that is a catastrophy.

Iā€™m not addicted to gaming, he says after playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider for 4 hours last night. Usually Iā€™m not like that.

3 Likes

Hallo Giambalin :3

1 Like

Itā€™s all about the awareness

Iā€™m writing here to voice how ridiculous this game has become. Iā€™ve been playing WoW for as long as i can remember and never before has my time and effort in the game felt so meaningless. I put several hours a day into the game to find that RNG decides i dont deserve a good piece of gear from this weeks chest. Repeatedly pushing for higher tier content with my lack of gear is brain damaging and the addition of the grindwheel that is the horrific vision system is nothing short of a downgrade to the game system. I will not be paying for a re sub as my time spent on this game now feels like a waste of time.
Sincerely,
A used to be wow lover

1 Like

Had a aggro day yesterday and took a break for the day, always nice to just sit back, watch some tv and chill with your dog.

2 Likes

Helped alot

This WHO bullcrap about video gaming being an official disease is just that, bullcrap.

Itā€™s a mental issue sure, but itā€™s not just confined to video gaming, or even gaming. It can apply to anything from trainspotting (the hobby,not the movie) to collecting stamps.

The WHO statement shows an amazing amount of ignorance and also a distinct discrimination against an activity they just donā€™t understand, therefore it must be bad (same sort of thing happened to Rockā€™nā€™Roll in the 50ā€™s, Pen and paper RP games and Heavy Metal in the 70ā€™s)

Itā€™s what I call The Daily Mail syndrome, if the older generation doesnā€™t understand what their kids are doing then it must be bad/evil/disgusting etc.

3 Likes

Youā€™re right.

I was speaking in general though.

Tbh I find video game addiction a bit of a bizarre concept.

I mean if someone were sitting at home reading books all day everyday then no one would call them a ā€˜book addictā€™. And it is seen as completely normal for people to watch television all night every night in most countries. Yet you never hear about ā€˜television addictionā€™. Well perhaps sometime decades ago.

Sure, people find distractions to avoid dealing with problems but that really doesnā€™t have much to do with the actual thing they are doing.

Itā€™s also a rather strange time to say ā€˜hey, cut down your time doing about the only activity you can still do together with other peopleā€™ during a period where everyone has to spend the majority of their time at home.

3 Likes

Itā€™s very pick and choose.

Most diagnostic manuals for mental disorders will work off a diathetic/stress model, a la you only qualify for the disorder if the activity is impacting stuff like your general quality of life, day to day functioning, ability to maintain relationships etc.

The issue is itā€™s only applied to certain things. Like if gaming causes above, itā€™s a disorder. Same for having obsessive or compulsive behaviours.
Yet if your employment causes the above, thereā€™s no disorder for such recognised, which is ironic given employment is probably the greatest cause of potential imbalance in maintaining life priorities, stress, excessive worry etc. Lots of people work outside of contracted hours to keep up, itā€™s kind of expected.

This goes to show it eventually boils down to a form of social control/appraisal. If you experience X due to Y, itā€™s bad and youā€™re Iā€™ll because Y is not socially approved. If you experience X due to Z, itā€™s fine, thatā€™s normal, and in some cases weā€™ll give it a positive label like ā€œhaving a tremendous work ethicā€

The whole arena of non physiological diagnostics in medicine is very wild west tbh and it would be difficult to call it a science. The definitions of what qualifies certain mental illnesses according to the ICD and DSM change every year in accordance with cultural mores, yet itā€™s presented as being scientific in a similar way to diagnosing empirical conditions. It really isnā€™t.

5 Likes

you do know most alcoholics and drug users have the same excuse ? :slight_smile:

its also no diferent then for exampel addiction to coffee in the morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thatā€™s a totally different type of addiction.

Take someone addicted to gaming and lock them in a room with no gaming device and theyā€™ll go through some mental anguish but theyā€™ll live.

Take someone addicted to Diamorphine* and do the same, it could prove fatal for them.

Psychological addiction is very different from a physical addiction.

• Iā€™m not allowed to use the ā€˜Hā€™ word.
5 Likes

So my ex-girlfriend brought hardship to my life and made me depressive, after I broke up with her she wanted me to suffer as much as possible.
This means I should be alone forever???

Nice logic from the op :slight_smile:

huh?

Aslo

Iā€™d boot her faster than you can say YEET!!!

Your car.may be repossessed if you do not keep up with paymentsā€¦thatā€™s after the sales rep sells you a 30k car when you are on benefits. Lol

2 Likes