Dark Ranger as a new hero class / skin

ofc I did, one of the reasons I play it is not to see Orgrimmar being crowded in blood elfs with some lame exposed transmogs

How about a ranged spec for deathknight instead.

Or a class “skin” for hunter that replaces pets with undead.

I don’t. So we’re at a stalemate! :kissing_heart:

I love it, Dark Rangers has been my number one requested hero class since Death Knights were announced.

Let’s be real, prior to WotLK, the only Death Knights we knew were former Humans and Orcs. Death Knights are practically dead champions and the same applies to Dark Rangers. While we currently only know of former Night Elves (Darkshore), Blood Elves (Sylvanas and her Dark Rangers) and Humans (Nathanos). I do think this is an oppertunity to include more races as Dark Rangers by having Sylvanas and her loyalist kill other races and turn them into the Undead.

Honestly, I loved the idea I read earlier in this thread by giving Alliance Rangers and Horde ones a Dark Ranger skin of the same class. It could theoretically work as the same class, with a different skin.
Both Rangers and Dark Rangers were present in Warcraft III. Dark Rangers could be trained by Sylvanas, while the Alliance Rangers could be trained by Tyrande.

1 Like

sounds too similar to hunters.
at least DK/paladins have the good old trope of paladin/white knight VS antipaladin/black knight, one fueled by light/good, the other by death/darkness/evil.
hunters and dark rangers have not enough oppositionin to be a good fantasy trope. they are just different shades of a guy shooting arrows, one more edgy than the other maybe, but not enough distinction.

You compare two of three plate wearers, to which I agree there are to many of. However, the Dark Rangers and Death Knights don’t share the same type of armor.
If you we are to make that comparison, we ought to look at different classes instead. How come no one complains that Paladins and Priest are to similar, when they both use the Holy Light?
Just like Paladins are a combination of Warrior and Priests, Dark Rangers in turn can be combination of Rogue and Hunters.

I mean, who says that Dark Rangers must be archers?
Take Nathanos and Lenara for example, they have been seen dual wielding and Sylvanas, the most iconic Dark Ranger in the game outclassed Saurfang in close combat.
Besides Sylvanas used a different kind of magic when she killed Saurfang that no one recognized, including powerful mages like Jaina, Lor’Themar and Thalyssra.

The Dark Ranger class can be a class that uses a similar abilites infused with their arrows or daggers.
Perhaps you think it’s overpowered lorewise for the players to possess this power. But the players obviously won’t be as powerful as Sylvanas, just like the mages in game aren’t as powerful as Khadgar or Jaina and Warlocks aren’t as powerful as Gul’Dan.

There’s no need for Dark Rangers to have a permanent nameable pet, being able to feign death or to lay out traps.

1 Like

well 1 class is emo and edgy and will be instantly popular - the other is clunky and strange and most liekly will end up like monk - aka failure

guess which one will blizzard choose

I would really prefer it if the next class couldn’t be played as an elf at all. We have a real overpopulation of elfs right now. In fact, we have way too many classes too. Any new class would need to take away spells from other classes. I don’t think that will stop blizzard though or the people who really want dark rangers/necromancers/tinker. (why even tinker? noone played that in wc3)
As for dark rangers specifically, they seem to be part of sylvanas forces who now cleary went over to the other side of this conflict.

That’s your opinion and not at all based on facts. :blush:

Tinker has a lot of supporters and you see it requested often.
(I’m not saying Dark Ranger doesn’t btw - but ultimately it comes down to taste and I just prefer the fantasy of a tinker; to me a dark ranger is just a MM hunter with shadow powers. Booooring.)

facts are monk when came up was complete failure. it took years for it to become even semi popular.

DK and DH - instant success

blizzard wont take chances anymore.

I would rather have current classes to be made fun again.

Monk is not at all comparable with tinker. Monk was connected with the pandaren, a race that is criticized by quite a few people as ‘not fitting in with warcraft’ and such (not that I agree with that btw). Tinker has no such stigma.

Both classes that start at higher levels. Of course they’re succesful. Their barrier of entrance is much, much lower.

And to me a Tinker is just a hunter with engineering profession. Your point being?

1 Like

That’s on you then for lack of imagination.
They could do so much with tinker… Imagine this:

Possible races: Gnomes, Mechagnomes, Goblins and Vulpera.

3 specs. Ranged DPS, tank and healing.

When you create your tinker, you not only customize your race, but also an entire mech suit that your character will be sitting in (making you about the size of a tauren). This suit could even have different appearances between specs; big and bulky with lots of plating and such for tank spec, lighter frame with cannons strapped on the mech’s arms etc for ranged dps spec and a more medium type frame with seringes and maybe small tanks with liquids strapped onto it.

Skillwise there’s SO much they could do with this. From being able to use ranged weapons (maybe through the suit and not actually being handheld), through all kinds of gizmo’s, bombs, injections, etc etc.

While realistically what could they really do with a dark ranger? Honestly?
Different shots. Some kind of curses? And specs? Ranged dps. And ehm… what else? No, tinker really has so much more potential.

Also; Dark Ranger race. Lore-wise only elves would make sense. Do you really want yet another class restricted to just elves? I sure don’t.

If they ever do a 4th spec for classes or a ‘themed prestige class ‘transmog’ type deal for skills and such’ then Dark Ranger would be perfect for a hunter, sure (complete with red eyes and pasty complexion customization).

I was using your analogy for Dark rangers being only hunters with shadow powers. Since you’re lacking imagination when it comes to them. Using your analogy you could explain away other classes really. DH is a rogue with fel powers. DK is a warr with death powers, etc.

Draenei/Dwarves/Mag’har orcs should be in that mix too imo.

Other than that I like your idea actually. I’m not really against adding Tinkers as a class. But their theme doesn’t really appeal to me that much. I prefer the theme that Dark rangers bring.

For Dark rangers you could have a dps caster spec using void and necromatic powers to augment your skills/arrows, you could summon undead minions/spiders for a short while too based around the old Black Arrow dot. You could have a healing spec using alchemical concoctions and potions. A skirmisher playstyle dot spec based around spreading the plague/blight. There are so many ideas. You could even have a Necromancer as one of the specs. Which is probably the most asked for class.

Playable races could be some of those listed in this thread already.

You can even look at Sylvanas’s abilities/talents on hots to use as an example for what the Dark Rangers could have and bring to the table even. They bring a lot of potential aswell.

Also I don’t think every Tinker spec is gonna have a mech to it. Since only one of the Tinker trio is using a mech (The trio being the island expedition tinkers. They basically gave the idea that next expansion we’re gonna have tinkers and what specs they’ll have), And they’re not really a hero class either, there for I doubt they would receive special customizations. Monk didn’t.

They’re also taking away concepts and identities from the Engineering profession.

1 Like

Not imo.

I get that, but I’m the other way around. I’m not into the dark edgelord type classes. They depress me. :innocent:

Dark Rangers don’t summon dead stuff. That’s necromancers (and in WoW that’s death knights already). In WC3 they had: silence, black arrow, life drain and charm. All of that stuff is in the game already… hunters, warlocks and priest have that covered.

That is not a dark ranger. Now you’re just grasping at straws, I’m sorry to say.
You can’t just throw classes into one big bunch.

True, but it didn’t really fit for monks to get that. It really DOES fit for tinkers.

Yeah, just like dark rangers take away concept and identities from hunters, death knights and warlocks - and imo taking that away from classes is worse than from a profession. But if I think of a tinker with engineering… FUN FUN FUN!

It’s clear we both just desire something else. I’m not opposed to dark rangers, but I doubt I’d ever play one. With tinkers I don’t think I’d ever drop my BM hunter main, but if the class is really well done, I might be tempted.

Obviously not all the Dark ranger abilities are gonna come from WC3 otherwise, look at the Tinker abilities. You can also use Sylvanas as a base model for what the Dark Rangers could have both in WoW and in Hots. Same as Gazlowe I suppose. And I mostly based the undead minions around the old Black Arrow talent. Rather than permanent pets.

I didn’t really mean to throw it out there as a Dark Ranger spec, it was mostly just a silly idea. What we both said so far have been just ideas.

Special animations sure, but I don’t think they would add unique customization. I hope they will, since more customizations are always better. I just don’t think they would.

Death knight I can see that. Hunters I can see that, the same as Tinkers really. But why are warlocks added into the mix? What do they take away from warlocks? Also fun is subjective really.

I’m not opposed to either tbh, i’d share that same temptation too if they make the class stand out. But like I said I mostly prefer the Dark Rangers theme over the Tinker one.

It doesn’t make sense to have a dark ranger because you could just have a regular ranger with a shadowy spec available and it would be far more open.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if it was brought onto WoW as a spec.

The problem with spec is it wouldn’t make sense for everyone…
The cosmetic to Elf Hunters as an option, would it be good?
Not every Elf, of course… Velf and Nightborne wouldn’t fit.