Dark Ranger customizations for Blood and Night elves šŸ”“

Well the Night Elf one is race specific, I donā€™t really see an issue with that.

5 Likes

I must agree. A race-specific quest would be an awesome way to implement such an additional customization option.

5 Likes

But I will keep hoping it is going to be available for Night Elves too. :wink:

Although I would understand if it isnā€™t, since we already got the night warrior eyes as an extraā€¦

Not an issue for me, although I would understand if others disagree, as the night elves already got plenty of nice unique features compared to other races.

Tbh Iā€™d at her give the night elves an extra option for green Emerald Dream eyes as a symbol of their relationship with nature.

2 Likes

in the quest in broken shore the night elves u rised from the dead sed : we have lost everything we are forsaken .

so they are under undead creation and not in blood elf or night elf :stuck_out_tongue:

Yet Death Knights are listed as members of the original race, with the same racial skills.

Everything is possible. :wink:

4 Likes

High Elves fans have gotten the Void Elf customizations they wanted.

I will certainly keep hoping for red eyes for Blood Elves. :wink:

1 Like

Do Blood Elves need new customisations?

Yes. The males are lacking jewelry options which females have, and the entire race is lacking something ever since Blizz caved in and handed almost everything that made them unqiue to the Void Elves so another pass to restore some identity to the Blood Elves at some point would be welcome.

Should it be dark ranger eyes? No.

Because Blood Elves arenā€™t dead. Dark Rangers are all undead. You canā€™t be an alive zombie.

Blood Elven eyes canonically reflect the magics running through their veins. These are green, to represent the fel taint of the warcraft 3-tbc era, blue to represent the arcane aspect of the Sunwell and yellow to represent the holy aspect of the sunwell.

Red has no basis in lore, particularly as red is sought to be a dark ranger. Who are all, as stated previously, all dead.

New customisations should be sought emphasising what are actually blood elf themes, namely the light and their heritage (farstrider tattoos, extra jewellery options). Iā€™d say the light and the arcane but Nightborne seem to have the arcane angle taken.

How about Death Knights then?

They are dead, and yet they are still members of the Blood Elf race, with the usual racial skills and a choice of extra skins, which however they are not forced to use.

Lore and mechanics do not necessarily match.

In the lore there is ONE night warrior and thatā€™s the High Priestess of Elune.

In the game anyone can be a night warrior rogue.

So no, being undead ainā€™t an argument. Nor for as long as the Death Knights are labeled ā€˜Blood Elfā€™ rather than undead.

As a matter of facts it is the ā€˜Undeadā€™ label that causes confusion.

Sure, all members of the Forsaken faction are undead.
But to think of it, not all undead are/need to be members of the Forsaken faction.

So the Dark Rangers do not need to be labeled ā€˜undeadā€™.

Likewise, when it comes to character customization, class ainā€™t necessarily an issue.

Tyrande being a priestess hasnā€™t made Blizzard limit the black night warrior eyes to priests only.

I am all for new Blood Elf customization that emphasizes light (but are there such extra details in game, aside from the golden eyes that are already available, or do you mean they should make additions to the lore in that regard?) and details such as tattoos and runic scarring as seen in the older games and BC coverā€¦. But it doesnā€™t really need to be a CHOICE in between all of these options.

They could very easily add tattoos, AND scarring, AND the red eyes:

1 Like

You mean the hero class that so plays by itā€™s own rules it has unique customisations unavailable to other Blood Elves and has a unique starting screen? Same with Demon Hunters. Unique customisations for a unique class experience. Thatā€™s why itā€™s a hero class.

If they add a Dark Ranger hero class then yes, you could have red eye customisations locked to that class and it would be fully consistent with the story. But they would be locked to a Dark Ranger class, just as Death Knight and Demon Hunter customisations are locked to their respective classes.

But the options you are asking for are tied to a hypothetical class (itā€™s even in parathenses in the title) and are not something that could credibly be made available to all Blood Elves.

Unless you want to argue that a Blood Elf Paladin should be able to use the undead customisations from being a Death Knight under the same principle?

Bad example because being a night warrior has nothing to do with being a priestess.
Itā€™s a dark gift from Elune bestowed upon anyone she deems worthy; thus becoming an avatar of the Night Warrior.

However, you could make a case that itā€™s a female thing. Because so far weā€™ve only seen examples of female Night Warriors (although Thiernax became male in the Shadowlands). But since itā€™s not limited to female characters in the character customizationā€¦ Yeah.

Thiernax was always male. He was in a relationship with another man in life.

Ah, obviously you also mean like the night warrior hero class, that has unique black eyes customization available only to the priests. :wink:

Or not, since the night warrior eyes were given to all classes of the night elf race even though the lore clearly states thereā€™s only ONE night warrior and thatā€™s the High Priestess. :woman_shrugging:

Seriously, the only thing such a customization feature requires, is a little quest stating that after Sylvanas abandoned the horde, some undead elves and/or dark rangers have asked to rejoin their Blood Elf brothers and sisters despite of their undead status.

And we have an ā€˜openā€™ quest line with Calia mediating with the dark rangers to help them understand where their future liesā€¦

Itā€™s totally possible. Not certain, but totally possible.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not how I understand it.
I thought he was WoWā€™s ā€˜versionā€™ of a trans person.

The night warrior is not class locked. It is the power of Elune expressed through a champion. That champion maybe a priest, a warrior, a druid.

But it is not analogous to the Dark Ranger customisations you are requesting. The clue is in the name. Dark Rangers.

Dark Rangers are a corp of Undead marksmen. Dark Rangers are all, to a man and woman, undead. The red eyes are a part of their customisation options.

In fact, didnā€™t Undead receive angry red eyes as part of their customisation pass?

It seems the customisation in question is already in the game then.

No, thatā€™s Pelagos.

Thiernax was a man in life. Check his quotes when he speaking of Qadarin.

"To succeed, we needed the power the last Speaker had tried to invoke from Mother Moon. We fought over that. It had already killed his mother. He did not wish for it to kill his husband too. "

The point was more that the lore and game mechanics do not always go hand in hand. :wink:

The lore only tells us about ONE night warrior at a time. This person gains tremendous power (and is consumed by it).

Thereā€™s no actual explanation about how so many of the player characters could have gotten the black eyesā€¦ or why they get the special eyes but no special powers and related drawbacks.

If I am allowed to play a Night Elf who got black eyes simply due to witnessing a ritual, I might as well be able to role play an undead Blood Elf that was raised against their will and despises Sylvanas, feeling closer to the Blood Elves than to the Forsaken.

2 Likes

I see. I stand corrected then. Thanks!

Honestly; Iā€™ve never really looked into it much; I simply donā€™t care either way; itā€™s all fine with me.

1 Like

Yet we saw these other Night Elves gain the black eyes at the same time the Night Warrior was empowered. They are not Night Warriors, but the fact it happened in game means black eyes without being a Night warrior is canonical.

The common factor seems to be those who received the black eyes bore witness to the rise of the Night Warrior. It does not mean you are a Night Warrior. It appears to mean you were there to see Tyrande become one.

So we can agree that all a new customization requires is a vague explanation within a quest line/cinematic.

Lovely, I like that. :slight_smile:

So what if there was a quest showing that after Sylvanas abandoned the horde to help Zovaal, some undead elves and/or dark rangers looked into their cold hearts and felt itā€™s actually dangerous and bad to keep separated from the living (as a matter of facts, I think we saw several quests where undead would have wanted to stay among the living, and only moved on to their new undead identity after being rejected/forsaken) and asked to rejoin their brothers and sisters?

It may never happen, but if it did happenā€¦ could red eyes be added to the Blood Elves then?

Since the game shows that what ā€˜belonging to a raceā€™ means is flexible and not necessarily related to life and death (death knights retain the racial skills from the original race) I donā€™t see it being impossible at all.

High Elf wayfarers talking to Void Elves lead to customizations options for them.

Dark Rangers talking to Calia about their future could also lead them somewhere else we simply havenā€™t discovered yet.

Or nowhere, if Blizzard forgot about that open end.

But itā€™s not impossible.

So I am allowed to hope and ask here in the forum that it becomes a thing, right? :slight_smile:

You are free to dislike the idea of course, itā€™s a free world (of Warcraft, lol?) but ultimately the decision is up to Blizzard as usual.

It could be a thing. And the more people ask for it, the more it becomes likely that it is added to the game.

1 Like

Not so fast. Attempting to draw a parallel between the two is flawed, and reducing them to the most generic categories possible does not help your case.

The Night Warrior storyline AND the black eyes customisation were introduced in the very same patch and it was made clear that any Night Elf who witnessed the event received the black eyes.

In contrast the red eyes of the Dark Rangers are a Forsaken/Undead customisation and have been long established as such. There are no Blood Elf Dark Rangers. There are Forsaken Dark Rangers who at one point were alive as Blood Elves and Night Elves or, in the case of Nathanos, Humans.

That would be an Undead Elf Allied race or a Dark Ranger Hero Class. In either case, red eyes would be a unique customisation for the hero class or the Allied Race. It would not be available to Blood Elves because, and I have to keep repeating this, no playable Blood Elf on a non hero class is dead. Death Knights are, but they are a hero class with unique customisations reflecting that class which proves the point.

The basic problem with your idea remains, itā€™s an undead customisation you wish to add to a living race, a living race whose eyes colours are already canonically established as reflecting the magics influencing them.

Blood Elves need customisations that reflect them being Blood Elves. That means farstrider tattoos, extra jewelery options and light themed options. Undead options donā€™t makes sense for them because they arenā€™t dead.