Dark Ranger customizations for Blood and Night elves 🔴

Blizz, could you please address the Dark Rangers’ fates in 9.2.5, and take this chance to add red eyes customizations for Blood and Night Elves?

In 9.2 we see Sylvanas cooperating with Alliance and Horde in order to defeat the Jailer, which makes it safe to assume that even the most loyal of the Dark Ranger loyalists also are.

In fact, even though we don’t yet know what Sylvanas’ fate will be, at this point there are no reasons why the Dark Rangers couldn’t rejoin their people/factions.

Night Elves

After Elune’s revelation it would make sense for a renewed and more compassionate Tyrande to be willing to welcome the Night Elves raised by Sylvanas back among their people as protectors of the living just like the Night Elf Death Knights.

Even more so when one considers that in a BfA questline we already saw Calia on a personal quest to assist the Night Elf Dark Rangers reconcile with their undead condition and find a new path forward for themselves after Sylvanas’ betrayal.

Blood Elves

The Horde has the Forsaken in its ranks and has always been more tolerant towards the undead in the first place. Add to that that when Sylvanas betrayed the Horde, she abandoned the Dark Rangers as well, meaning they might have returned to their people.

In the past some people have voiced that the Blood Elves hate the scourge as a counter-argument for accepting Dark Rangers in their ranks, but we all know free-willed undead are a totally different thing. If the Forsaken are allies and a Blood Elf Death Knight can walk the streets of Silvermoon City as a hero then there’s also no reason why the Dark Rangers couldn’t just stand with their fellow Blood Elves.

About Dark Rangers as a Hero Class

Nothing against the idea, but in Legion we have seen several Horde NPCs flagged as Dark Rangers in the Hunters hall. Things can always be retconned if Blizzard wants, but the recent quiver and Legendary bow from Sylvanas in the Sanctum of Domination also reinforce the idea of Dark Rangers as Hunters. A fourth spec, maybe?

About Darkfallen as an Allied Race

This was recently suggested/hypothesized by Ian Bates @TheRedShirtGuy on Twitter:

Another elf allied race would seem redundant, BUT what if the Darkfallen customization screen allowed the player to choose between undecayed human (like Nathanos) and Blood/Night elf body shapes?

Also, such a race could grant multiple classes: hunters and rogues would be Dark Rangers, while mages would be San’layn!

———————
This post was edited!
31/03/2022, added the Darkfallen Allied Race hypothesis by @TheRedShirtGuy
04/03/2022, reorganized the post content and added a few considerations related to the latest game patch (9.2).

Previous (closed) thread on the subject running July-November 2020:

US Forum Thread

41 Likes

I’m not sure about the desire for dark ranger night elves, not sure I’ve seen those, however, I’ve seen plenty of people who would like dark ranger as a customisation option for blood elves. They could do it in the same way that the NE get the night warrior look.

I saw a tweet of a mock up of a belf as one, I’ll see if I can dig it out.

15 Likes

In the original (closed) thread I had posted pictures, however I am no longer authorized to do so.

Anyhows, we do have Night Elf dark rangers in the game already! They were raised in BfA, so it is canon, if unusual. More common than night warrior though… since in the Lore that one was supposedly a feature for Tyrande only… :wink:

Night Elf - male and female

https://wow.zamimg.com/uploads/screenshots/normal/811721-kaldorei-dark-ranger.jpg

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/e/e5/Kaldorei_Dark_Ranger.jpg

Blood Elf - male and female

https://i.ibb.co/QHQbG8H/belf-male-dark-ranger.jpg

https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/thumb/3/3f/Velonara_%28Darkshore%29.jpg/300px-Velonara_%28Darkshore%29.jpg?version=0a4ef617ff7c0827222cdbdd1b1c7cb0

4 Likes

6 Likes

Is there any way to filter out the threads that have “elf/elves/BE/VE/HE/NE/Nightborne” in them?

5 Likes

If it has elf in the title you don’t click on it, I think that’s all you can do.

8 Likes

They keep spawning over and over, not the best solution.

Aha! That brings this to mind, too.

Remember the discussion from Sub-race names & templates tied to the new customization options:

1 Like

dk glyph to make their eyes match their spec when

4 Likes

damn, you just reminded me the disgusting character assassination of the kaldorei fallen and resurrected in the war of thorns.
RIP Delaryn Summermoon :frowning:

4 Likes

Honestly hoped/thought this would obtain more feedback.

Guess I was mistaken.

4 Likes

I would love red eyed blood elves, so many cool transmogs to be made. <3

8 Likes

I would love the option to be a dark ranger. Should be added to blood and night elves

5 Likes

there are several head mogs ingame (mostly hoods) that give you red eyes.
specifically, two of the hunter tier sets from nighthold (lfr and mythic) do exactly that.
the venthyr cloth set does that too iirc.

3 Likes

I don’t see it really happening, not unless they make a new class like demon hunters. Otherwise it wouldn’t really work since they are a type of undead so you can’t just give a regular blood elf red eyes and call it a day,

Found the tweet. This look would be awesome:-

11 Likes

i need those eyes in my life.

6 Likes

Make them “go away” by being productive and opening some threads with good suggestions for draenei or whatever you want. :wink:

1 Like

It is my firm belief Dark Rangers are coming as a playable class in 10.0, so maybe like demon hunters, they will get unique customization.

1 Like

hunters already have dark ranger armor only need undead like skin and red eyes …

2 Likes