Delay flying until 9.0

There are people against mogs (Muh I can’t judge their power level with gear! clownsuits for everybody!), so we if we remove flying for this group just reduce the game back to vanilla. If you hate mogs don’t mog, if you hate flying indeed don’t use it. If you like to play pretend there is still ammo in the game delete gold from your char after every dungeon.

They get 1 whole major patch without flying and even managed to stretch it to 8.2 now and still it isn’t enough.

So what do you get out of wow then? Why not play a mobile game which has the same philosophy as what you describe?

?
you can explore way more places with flying than without though
you can fly up mountains, (if you are DH, glide down again (yes I do that sometimes)
you can look around for secrets, you might not be able to see without flying
you can see the world from above

They need to design the world with flying in mind like in TBC and WotLk

To say you want flying to go exploring is a bold faced fib and you know it :joy:
Flyers want to make wq easier, quicker and be able to watch videos in between traveling

1 Like

There are plenty already but to get there without flying esp non-DH chars is just very long and bothersome undertaking. Including a tortallian wedding underwater in the unaccesible part of Zuldazar (cresent moon bay). But because I don’t wanna spend near 1 hours to maybe find a secret on mountain top… Heck the first thing I did with flying in Cata (after leveling) was looking around in all unaccessible areas.

Edit: It’s from reddit but can’t link the thread because I get a weird error (Body is too similiar to what you recently posted) while I never used this link before…

1 Like

It’s same as a million portals, just makes game a theme park, not a world, rename game Disneyland of warcraft

1 Like

Know what? I have a solution!

WM on means you only have a SW/orgrimmar portal, nothing else and no flying. Keep WM off and have acces to these things. SO both sides happy! wait I know why you wouldn’t want that… People would massivly tkeep WM off which mmeans a large reducement in people you can gank or annoy as a rogue.

I fight whoever, even trying to run away when outnumbered is more fun than just flying away like a pigeon.

But also is there any other reason you actually can give for flying apart from just increased convenience? Because if that is a priority it speaks to a deeper problem in the game. People will always clamour for making things more convenient and easy and Blizzard acquiescing is a big reason wow has degenerated in regard to sub counts/interest to the point it has, despite some content such as high end raid mechanics being objectively better, it is no longer an MMO then,

I do not think flying should be delayed. After all this expansion has had a few flying mounts for sale in the store, why should we not be allowed to use them? We are approaching the 1 year mark in August for this expansion and not having flying did not stop people from breezing through the content in about 2 weeks initially.

If the argument that flying is meant to slow people down any real argument, then it has failed. There is not enough content to justify people slowing down and the flying argument is a moot point at this turn.

As for appeasing to casuals, I think both casuals and hard core players use flying mounts. I am not sure how WPVP is ruined as people simply are nto turning on warmode, remember alliance had to be bribed with 30% in rewards to turn on WPVP.

As for immersion what immersion?? Right now people barely speak in groups or any of the group content available and flying is not available.

As for the great zones, I think by now everyone has seen Boralus and Zuldazar enough and flying would not take away from that.

Of course the developers could handle flying as they do in Final Fantasy, where you really do have to work hard to get flying, plus flying is necessary in some of their flying and sky zones, as you cannot simply walk to get to places in those areas.

2 Likes

The longer people have to take to get to their destination the less they are willing socialize. And it makes sense since time is finite. Also found it funny how OP and others called flying and AFK method, then what are flight paths? Atleast you have to be aware with flying if you go auto-run to not stay away too long. Whereas with a FP you always land safely.

2 Likes

was half memeing on that, I agree with you on that matter. I wish there was a way to interact directly with the devs. But in all honesty I dont even know if the devs are the problem or the work environment, like SJW agendas and forced positivity that doesnt alllow any critique anymore or if its the shorter release schedules and gated content patches.
It would be nice beeing able to flame the devs though and have them answer our questions without them beeing able to cherrypick like on the q&a. Though i doubt its gonna happen, look at the forums, not even the community managers dare to stick their nose into negative feedback. All they answer is whats your facourite x and technical questions acting as pserudo tech support rather than community manager.Maybe thats part of why nothing gets through to the dev team either. I honestly dont know and at this point I dont think blizzard can fix it anymore.
On the flying matter: Its unneccesary if the area isnt designed for flying like for example storm peak and flying in general is a solution for a problem that doesnt exist anymore just like titanforging.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I’ve always been opposed to flying, I spent a good amount of time at the start of WoD arguing with the likes of Nemo and the other “I wanna flyyyyyyyy” crybabies. However, I think the achievement locked delayed flying was the best solution.

Experience the beginning of an expansion on the ground. Then when the content becomes old and dull, enable flying to skip everything that you’ve done a thousand times.

Delaying flying further is pointless, the content has been experienced. People got their world pvp, now they just want to do their dailies and be off.

I deleted and re-posted the same comment because the forums decided to change my posting Avatar to a toon I haven’t logged on in years. I don’t know why Blizzard decided to update their forum board, but they could have at least given us working forums instead of just different forums.

1 Like

But you’re not listening. It is a perfectly legitimate argument; indeed, in my opinion, it is the only argument.

It is simple, we have a choice to fly or not to fly. If you enjoy flying then go fly! If you don’t then just stick to ground mounts - heck run everywhere if that’s what you enjoy!

None of these options need impact anyone else’s game play unless they choose to allow it to do so (i.e. players like you!), neither do these choices make one a lazy/better/whatever label you want to put on it player. It just means people can choose how they want to travel the world.

So please stop trying to spoil the enjoyment of the game by other players just because you don’t like this aspect of it!

ok can you explain to me how am I enjoying more looking at my groundmount as I spend 7 minutes walking over to another WQ.

I really want to see you crack open that nut.

Here’s a wild thought.

if you like ground mounts so much you can always opt not to do the pathfinder achievement and just stay grounded if that makes you so god damn happy lol?

Let the rest of us fly.

Well it won’t be better for Blizzard’s pockets, but it would be better for the game if people like that quit.

Like much that is wrong with modern WoW, it isn’t just one factor but a compounding of many. Flying is very much one of the core rots in the game right now, along with utterly mindless open worlds and CRZ hideousness.

My point always is people like you encourage Blizzard to just put in flying so people skip the game faster, rather than address the deeper issue. “Give us flying Blizzard because we loves it.” No you don’t, and the ‘think you do but you don’t’ attitude is to the detriment of people who actually want WoW the MMORPG to be an MMORPG with life.

The fact that vanilla didn’t have flying at all WAS a huge reason, out of many, why that game had so much more life and community.

Blizzard realised this VERY quickly when it became clear everyone was up in the air in their own bubble.

It’s also because the game’s runaway success was its own enemy. As soon as ANYTHING becomes popular in the mainstream it attracts huge amounts of people that hear about the hype but don’t really have any interest in the genre-- hence why the MMO and RPG aspects have been so gutted. They only come because it’s vogue, and soon start voicing how want the game to be.

The perfect example of that is the difficulty of Cataclysm Heroics and how they nerfed them to the ground because people, shock, actually had to co-operate and use strategy to beat them.

What, so there isn’t an environment out there? There isn’t topography to navigate?

Here’s another wild thought: Flying in a straight line by smashing the auto run button for the 700th time is actually less interesting than navigating a zone and mobs the 700th time.

“It’s tedious doing the same thing over and over.”

Welcome to MMORPGs. The very pinnacle of game which have the player repeat the same content over and over. Like those wonderful raids and dungeons.

“I can AFK when I’m in the air as there’s no gameplay.”

Yea, and that’s actually a problem not a good thing. It means one can avoid playing the game, how is that good? Maybe stop playing the game or don’t do WQs.

“Just don’t do it” isn’t an argument either, because Blizzard as I said just now will design the game around the convenience babies-- i.e you lot. Instead of actually making the world engaging, they will pick the FAR cheaper option of just giving players flying and other conveniences to skip it instead.

Blizzard can either invest resources into adding content; or they can patch in a quick fix to sweep it under the carpet. Which would they pick if they had the choice?

1 Like

Add flying but have it disabled in wmode. See how wmode becomes a ghost town all of a sudden. I have had great wpvp in Stranglethron in the past and guess what, flying is 100% allowed there. Guess you are just not good enough to lock people down.

1 Like

I wasn’t the guy who made the claim that not using a flying mount is somehow more inherently fun than flying- So I ask again, how is my experience better running over to that mob for 7 minutes than being there under one minute and being done with it?

Sure, I don’t particularly enjoy either case, but because my lack of enjoyement is reduced by 6 minutes I am objectively better off.

Basic maths.

As a guy that has done arena on high rating, raided, done mythic+ and everything else in this game I’m fairly confident in my own review of what I find enjoyable in the game and it’s none of your business to tell me what should I enjoy and whatnot.

Grind is an element of MMORPG, yes, but you can’t put a finger on it now can you?

What’s the most appropriate amount of grind to you might not be the appropriate amount of grind to another. If you want to experience true grind, Classic is coming, you can go and enjoy your time there.

I personally believe that forcing people to do content they do not like for lucrative rewards is bad. People should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want and reach lucrative rewards.

“Engaging?”

How does moving through ground increase engagement lol? Even in Warmode most people just pass one another to the world quests and avoid one another. And outside of warmode, there’s no interaction.

If you want to play a social boomer go raid and coordinate with them, because if I happen to bump into you while doing world quests I will 100% forget about your existance in 2 minutes.

Or do you genuinely think people will stop by on the ground once they see other people and start socializing lol? No, they just act as if other people don’t even exist.

I don’t want them to add content. I want them to add meaningful + fun content. Island expeditions and Warfronts are neither of those, nor are world quests.

They could bloat the game with content as much as they want but if it’s unfun and grindy nobody’s going to bother instead- See island expeditions as an evidence, and the Azerite armor fiasco that is getting changed half-way through the expansion.

Again, if you like running around on the ground and “taking the scenic route” (after seeing it for the 10000th time), be my quest. I’ll instead fly over and get the thing done and be happier for it.

3 Likes