Do you think Blizzard devs play the game?

Clearing Uldir is not playing ? And didn’t recently 2 CMs talk here about how they farm firelands. In b4 farming old content is not playing the game because you decide what playing is

Nah i dont think they do.
And if they do its an hour or 2 each week at most.

They do, ive seen them, it look’s like they have caged animal stress, runs from side to side left right left right left right :wink:

The game isn’t perfect and there are many decisions that I personally disagree with and sometimes it can be really frustrating but then I don’t make stupid assumptions that I can’t prove just because I’m frustrated like some of the people in this post.

yes, because silvanus is their mary sue waifu.

I once saw an interview with some of the old devs (was around the time Cata launched I think)
They talked a lot about the game, including some of their favourite moments. One of them talked about how he killed a pesky gnome mage in AV standing on a cliff overlooking the Dun baldar bridge. He jumped of and used charge to get to the gnome, killing it with a mortal strike.
(Yes, i’m a gnome and I refer to gnomes with “it”)

Don’t know where the interview was posted though, would’ve given a link or something.

1 Like

IF this IS Ion, then he is the worst representitive of the game ever. i have been accused many times and often of not showing my emotional state outwardly on most things, but people say when i talk about wow i seem to get all “happy” that they quickly want to change the subject. (none of them play). again, i just cant get my head around Ion actually playing if this is true.

Ion used to be pretty much a legend on the ElitistJerks forum when that was the go-to place for all theorycrafting on the game, and was also quite a go-to source of raid information. I mean, people who did early ZA time runs back in the day probably had a look at this video:

I mean, Blizzard didn’t hire him because he was a nobody. It was the same with Hamlet, Indalamar, and so on. Blizzard have always hand-picked those prominent community figures.
1 Like

I dont find Ion very charismatic, he’s a bad face (spokesperson) for the game. Any explanation he gives he gives does sound like a lawyer and people dont like that.

The people who should be doing this are the community managers and Lore for a CM has virtually no charisma.

Devs need to stop being CMs and they need to get CMs with personalities.

1 Like

But the reason why the developers have become public faces is because gamers demanded this authenticity and “straight from the horse’s mouth” approach.

I mean, back in the day Blizzard had 1 guy who handled all their press and public communication. Bill Roper. A legend. Anyone who has read some pc gaming magazine in the past about some Blizzard game, the article would be Bill Roper spilling his guts to the journalists.

But that’s just not good enough anymore. People would throw a riot today if Blizzard picked a public spokesperson to handle all their PR and communication, and terminated all contact to the developers.

And personally I think it’s awesome. I don’t see how it would be beneficial to me if Ion stopped doing Q&As and interviews and was replaced with some guy who isn’t actually hands-on developing the game.

A Community Manager. We have those.

then i stand corrected, but i can not compute AT ALL how this is so. maybe something has happened to him between his time doing ZA bear runs in TBC and him now and in legion. how he comes across now is that he DOES NOT GIVE A S**t about wow. at all.

i can believe that blizz hand picks people. i remember lore on the old tank spot videos and i enjoyed them and used them often for my education of boss tacts in wotlk. he would have seemed to be good to go after, however he now looks like he doesn’t care, or is just drained. maybe he doesn’t like going on the Q&A cause he knows they never answer anything and are a waste of time. dunno.

i am curious though, how such a profession as a lawyer would have enough time to be such a proficient raider, but also give as much time as a raider needs to get gear and buffs and gold. he is about 409ilvl if the armory given above is correct, and has cleared all of mythic uldir, BfD hc 5 times, and half of mythic BfD. meh.

but again, i cant help but point to metzen. i dont know what his actual role was, but i always saw him as the “face” of wow for most of my time playing, maybe from tbc till he left. like i said, he just had energy. maybe just a good salesman, but he played the part well in that case. and i know he was not “just a salesman”, i think he loved the game.

He’s a (senior) manager now. To be fair his explanations are reasonable but he just can’t communicate them well to the playerbase.

No. A community manager is different. The role they used to have – which was Roper’s role – was spokesperson.

German, but still, this:
https://imgur.com/a/B4fjZV2

Today that role is basically handled by the developers themselves. That’s sort of become an industry standard that the developers present and talk about their own games, and engage with the player communities. And I think that’s for the better.

He did a talk at Pax basically explaining how he ended up at Blizzard and such. It’s interesting to watch if you’re curious:
https://www.twitch.tv/pax/clip/CrackyAthleticCroquetteFloof

Edit: Here’s the full video just for convinience:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/304160215?t=0h18m54s

Well I know they do play the game, whether they enjoy it or not however mhh. God forbid my class couldn’t be anymore neutered even if they tried, so much fun utility is gone and the baseline abilities is all we have left which you would probably have by level 60.

1 Like

not tonight, but i will look into that. i am curious about how people can have really time consuming jobs, while playing a time consuming game.

thank you :slight_smile:

power corrupts :frowning:

This is how I feel about him too. I think he is one of those people who loves the sound of his own voice. Waffling on in those waste of time Q&A sessions, they are frankly, just dreadful.

The best thing they ever did was the blue post announcement of upcoming changes. I would far rather the CMs were used to pass on useful information. They should just use the Q&A gimmick format for Blizzcon.

1 Like

I watched Sakaar (Ythisensstream last night on AllCraft) check some of those stuff , devs know a lot about the issues we have

https://www.twitch.tv/hotted89/clip/GentleAnimatedHerdYouWHY?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time - Devs knew Azerite as it is now would fail and were brainstorming ideas long before of how to fix it in 8.2
Also if you check the whole video somewhere in the middle , Ythisens tells a story where Ion was the one that send CMs , reddit posts and forum posts and he was joking with Ion that this is their job not his :smiley:

I will take your word about what is in it. I really hate youtube/twitch as a medium to convey information. There may or may not be a transcript out there somewhere.

That does not make Ion charismatic or suitable to interact with the community.

They should have left tier in the game. It’s even worse to hear their inflexible replacement was expected to fail.

How do they let such stupid ideas get to make it into the game.

2 Likes

The idea of armor with traits is good , the AP requirements to unlock those traits is bad in my opinion