ERP should never be opt-out

what is it…

OOCers :nauseated_face:

i knew that…

1 Like

In the most absolute bare-bones form, once, thirteen years ago, yes. With plenty of deniability and nothing more raunchy than ‘I’ll show you a good time’.

As mentioned, normalising it in RP gives the ability for actual ERPers to say “Of course I don’t ERP on this sex worker character, wink” as they normally do now, and I have yet to see any indication that leaving it out has made us lose anything.

2 Likes

But also if you google their character you will find art of them being boned by a futa or something of the likes.

1 Like

It seems oddly disingenuous to completely ignore sex as a concept just because Blizzard has creative freedom to do what they please. I am not arguing for ERP to be the means through which sex is expressed in-game.

Even so much as just acknowledging it exists is fine with me. The word “sex” shouldn’t be shunned. Children know what it is. Sexual education is a lot better than when I was 12 in 2010. Anyway I guess it’s just an “agree to disagree” type of thing. I do think alike that minors should be kept away from nonce adults at any cost.

1 Like

I don’t know why you’re so set to die on this ‘sex work should be included in roleplay’ hill but it’s honestly very weird no matter how many times you qualify it

7 Likes

I agree with Stonetower, why are you so insistant on dying on this hill?

2 Likes

It’s just not necessary man

That’s literally it

I don’t think I or any normal roleplayer has lost any sense of quality from their roleplaying pastime by not making a habit of bringing up the topic of sex, and as for the people that argue ERP furthers a relationship between two people, nothing of that is lost if you instead blackscreen it happening

Believe it or not the topic of sex does not need to be spoken into life for it to exist. Everybody knows it does, and yet I guarantee nobody is missing out on anything by not mentioning it

just don’t see what sex adds to RP mate. No cool plot I ever heard of started with, or otherwise involved banging lots.

also i hope you’re not trying to say that i’m disingenuous for saying people should follow the ruleset they agreed to and not the ruleset they WANT to agree to.

That’d be a very cold take.

1 Like

Final post but I don’t mean it – has – to be included in RP. More often than not RP doesn’t have to be sexual. Of course it’s not necessary, but I’m saying if there is a tasteful way to include it, two characters flirting with each other IC for instance, and someone has the hunch to make a passing reference it shouldn’t be avoided just because.

I wasn’t aware it was such an unpopular opinion, but thanks for staying respectful.

1 Like

i mean i’m down to erp if any of u are

You specifically brought up sex work, my dude.

I’m not sure where you got the idea that I’m a puritan or will wilt at the mention of sex - I would see zero problems with making a character who’s, say, Elyrius’s husband (ilu <3) and making reference to a relationship and all that entails.

Like with violence, swearing, drug use etc - making reference to it is fine, depicting in detail is obviously not.

I’m not against them as a concept. I’ve seen it done tastefully and someone surely will remember the forum thread that was created here which was actually received with a decent amount of support.

But yeah, I don’t want to go back and forth. I said my piece and thank you guys again for arguing with me amicably.

So not final post? :thinking:

Away from the topic but I still would like to peer into the alternative universe of Blizzard keeping to that rule on the language barrier we had before the potion.

Horde and Alliance lore figures not being able to understand eachother. Would be pretty funny and possibly world ending.

Leave him be, Morid - I replied.

The specific concern is that things like that - sex work in particular, but relationship RP of that nature to a lesser extent as well - provide cover for bad-faith people.

The less room predators have to maneauvre, the better, and the cost (erring on the side of avoiding the subject entirely in RP) is incredibly small. I think you understand the point so I won’t belabour it.

I’m only mean to people when they’re arguing in bad faith or it’s funny :v

2 Likes

fine, fine! D:

I just can’t win with you guys on one hand you tell me not to self-insert, but if I wanted to play a sexless virgin I might as well turn off my PC >: (

While I absolutely agree that it’s a theme lightly touched upon, it’s not nearly prevalent enough for me to consider it a good concept to try and sail in RP.

Acknowledging such establishments existing IC is fine in my books, but I would prefer not seeing a guild or community spring from it. Even if it was made with the best of intentions and with strict guidelines in order to avoid inappropriate content, I fear it would attract an undesirable sort of players regardless.