[Forum Guide] How to clean up the Realm Forums šŸ™‚

weird, twice now iā€™ve had this thread say thereā€™s a new post but itā€™s nothingā€¦ odd.

Conspiracies!

Also in this thread: people on the now-removed list making a strong case for why that list was a thing in the first place.

6 Likes

Must be a glitch in the Matrix.

Somehow the thread looks a lot more civil without them :slight_smile:

Really? I canā€™t see them.

2 Likes

Quote from mad man

Unfortunately, I use Firefox, so I canā€™t remove peopleā€™s posts even if i wanted to.

But good on you for helping the people who want to remove certain bad agentā€™s posts.

Same :hot_face:

All we can do is upvote OP for providing a service.

I think forum block is a good addition. Iā€™ve been using it since a friend introduced to me how many months ago.

Sure, I might be blocked by someone as well, but that is a small price to pay for salvation (and a much-improved forum experience).

1 Like

Firefox is big on user personalization so have no fear https://addons.mozilla.org/lt/firefox/addon/live-editor-for-css-and-less/

5 Likes

Itā€™s good to see someone adding a feature to the forums.

OP: ā€œI will shred these forums down to its last vagueposter and then, with the character IDā€™s youā€™ve collected for me, create a new one. It will know not what is lost but only what it is been givenā€¦ a grateful playerbaseā€

This is as close to infinity gauntlet snap weā€™ll ever get on these forums.

10 Likes

ā€œFun isnā€™t something one considers when removing vagrants from AD forums. But thisā€¦ does put a smile on my face.ā€ - Folktale in a trailer to this thread

6 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s a pedantic distinction. Ignoring people is a choice - itā€™s the decision not to respond or pay attention to what somebodyā€™s saying or doing. You still hear or see their words, and so the choice is an informed one.

Just from my own experience, Iā€™ve had posters vehemently dispute, or flippantly dismiss, my posts in one thread, only to cordially agree in the next thread. If Iā€™d taken issue with their tone in the first case, or with the lack of content in the second, and then added those people to my ignore list, Iā€™d/ weā€™d have lost out on an interesting and valuable discussion.

Of course Iā€™m not saying that ā€œcordial agreementā€ is the only valuable form of discourse - agreements or disagreements of any kind are important. But looking at the O.P, itā€™s a bullet-pointed list of ad hominem attacks based on his own personal prejudices and projections. If thereā€™s a charge of toxicity to be levelled at O.P, as Aldru says, itā€™s that heā€™s encouraging partisanship and discrimination through a system that targets people and not posts - as well as insulting and demeaning specific posters. If heā€™d posted the system alone it would have been better, but by listing those posters in such pejorative terms and making their I.Dā€™s available, heā€™s trying to build a consensus against them and thus silence them en masse.

This is the general tone and nature of the debate on the AD forums. Instead of taking things on a post-by-post basis, the writing gets immediately dismissed because of the writer. There are people I recognise on that list that have been targeted for spurious reasons - if the Christopher Lee impressionist is who I think it is, their posts might seem (to me) to be obnoxiously self-indulgent and deplorable because of their careless abuse of ellipses, BUT, when youā€™ve filtered out the purple rhetoric, their ideas are both sound and inoffensive. When people object to this personā€™s posts, they protest the form but not the content.

Obviously, if, in good faith, you begin by taking someoneā€™s comments on a post-by-post basis, but over time the cumulative effect of these posts demonstrate a lack of thought or effort or substance, or some kind of toxicity, then Iā€™d respect and understand the (individualā€™s) decision to mute, even if I wouldnā€™t agree with it. But on AD, thereā€™s a disproportionate focus on who, why, and how somebody is posting, and not what theyā€™re actually posting - and most of the who, why and how is projection.

6 Likes

Generally a strong mix of both as far as Iā€™ve seen really. Though of course at some point one is gonna overshadow the other, like the doxxer and the dragon who on very rare occassions do say something halfway sensible but itā€™s by far not often enough to balance out the amount of 4head stuff they say, and as such are obviously set for failure for as long as they continue to portray characteristics that several people evidently perceive as negative ones.

Though, at least in the dragonā€™s case thereā€™s a chance for a lengthy slow-burn redemption arc, I donā€™t think thatā€™ll work for the doxxing enthusiast.

But the doxxing enthusiast writes short posts and therefore does not inconvenience my beloved index finger.

5 Likes

I donā€™t see why the OP got reported. Ignoring people on the forums is a basic functionality we should have. Even if you personally disagree with some of the people heā€™s deciding to ignore, heā€™s still doing us a favour.

7 Likes

because people are afraid they become invisible, themselves :^)

2 Likes

Garden Tools be mad.

5 Likes