Future eyes color & high elves of the Horde

Pretty sure Illidan was “suppose” to become a druid because of his golden eyes, but chose another path(mage), and then he turned into a DH. I don’t remember 100% though, I’ll look it up tomorrow. Think they talked about it in the ingame scenematic where we see Malfurion and Illidan as babies. And yes, druidism was originally male only thing.

In other cultures perhaps, but not the nightelven.

But that doesn’t explain Queen Azshara, who was a Mage from the word “go.”

And Illidan attempted Druidism, but was too impatient.

If we are going by the race the only night elves having golden eyes were the ones connected with druidism, but the source why they got that was never properly explained and the grounds for that atm are pretty weak in the lore. For lightforge draenei is logical why they have them since they are connected with the light more than any other race in the game, so its also for the blood elves which currently draw power from the cleansed Sunwell and got cleansed from the corruption by it. I think how Blizzard shoot itself in the foot with nelves and golden eyes, coz nothing connects their entire culture with the sources of the light. Main spells of ne balance druids are moonfire and starfire, they are just like their mages using arcane energy and if we also look the animation and videos of the Tyrande in which she gets connected to the Elune power we can also clearly see how she also uses arcane energy.

This is what I found on the wowpedia tho :

" Before the Sundering, golden eyes were extremely rare among the night elves. Golden eyes thus came to be regarded as a sign of future greatness. Night elves born with them were recruited into the Moon Guard. Both Queen Azshara and Illidan had these unusual eyes. Unfortunately the falsehood of this widespread belief was only to become clear after these two infamous individuals had reached their dark fates.

In truth, golden eyes were a sign of strong druidic potential. Little wonder that pre-Sundering night elves, with their emphasis on the arcane, did not understand the significance of these unusual eyes. Simply having this potential did not guarantee that the potential would be sensed or understood, much less wielded with skill and compassion. Despite his golden eyes, Illidan struggled with the druidic arts, though he, like Malfurion, was tutored by Cenarius.

Innate druidic power does not necessarily lead to becoming a druid, and lacking that innate power does not preclude becoming a druid. Indeed, Malfurion was born with eyes that glowed silver, but he studied druidism, and his wholehearted dedication gave him a power and skill far beyond most druids. As he continued to use druidic magic, his eyes acquired the golden incandescence that had once been so coveted by other night elves.

Golden eyes quickly became far more common. After the Sundering, night elves abandoned their former obsession with bloodlines, and so the number of night elves born with golden eyes increased significantly. In addition, the night elves resolved to be more respectful of Azeroth, and a number of night elf men followed in Malfurion’s footsteps; these new druids eventually also had golden eyes.

Traditionally night elf women served their people as warriors, hunters, and protectors. Many spellcasting vocations, on the other hand, were generally considered the realm of night elf men. Only since the devastating casualties of the Third War have these conventional gender roles been set aside. Because druids only recently opened their ranks to women, golden eyes remain somewhat more prevalent among night elf men than their female counterparts. "

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Night_elf#Golden_eyes

2 Likes

It may not be properly explained, but the golden eyes of nightelves, doesn’t need to have anything to do with the light, as it does for e.g. the Draenei golden eyes.

That said, druids have a cat form. Cat eyes are often considered to be yellow. It might just be their power of shapeshifting that shines through! (this is not supported by lore - just me trying to find a logical explaination :joy: ) The original cat form eyes were yellow, for nightelves.

But yes, I want my golden eyes. I’ve wanted them for Aylish since vanilla, and as it says in the lore itself…

…and;

So I think it’s time that my drudic powers finally shine through. I’ve stayed loyal to druidism since vanilla after all! Aylish should be pretty darn strong by now, from an RP perspective.

Ehhh, no. That’s not how it works, Being a Blood Elf is a political choice, there are blue eyed Blood elves, just as lorewise there are green eyed High elves. That is the lore.

Being a Blood or High elf has nothing to do with the colour of your eyes, an Elf who lived in Dalaran during the events of TBC would never have been exposed to Fel Radiation, and would still have the blue eyes, in fact we see a few of them who do have blue eyes, but class themselves as -Blood Elves- Likewise Blizzard confirmed that any HIgh Elf who went to Outlands would have Fel green eyes, no matter whether they were Alliance or not.

Basically both High and Blood Elves can have green or blue, or gold eyes. Its exposure to Fel, not political allegiance, that makes the change. There is even quest text supporting this, if the word of a Dev wasn’t enough.

1 Like

Yes and the majority of those with blue eyes remained with the alliance, whilst those with green/golden eyes are with the Horde.

That’s the distinguishing features and any form of playable High Elf should be on the Alliance, as that is the most lore fitting, but once again - we’ve got our blue eyed customization. Their with a race that we call “Void Elves.”

And any further additional features for either night elves or blood elves should be pushed way back to the back of the queue. Nightborne and Void Elves deserve extra stuff now, if we limit it down to the 4 playable elves races. (Such as for the Nightborne, a quest that is available only for Nightborne at level cap, where they get their red-coloured heritage armor.)

Seems like Blizzard gave up of that representation of the Malfurion and the druids in the game, I noticed yesterday while I was doing the kul tiran unlock scenario how Malfurion had there the same color of eyes as in this cinematic, so not gold ones…

I did not notice it, but you are right, that is odd decision…

I think how its the right one, the night elves aren’t connected to the light like blood elves or the lightforge draenei. In the game there needs to be some sort of differentiation among various races based on the sort of the power they use. The NE resto druids use the nature magic while the balance use arcane one. Or otherwise we wouldn’t have than also the separated LFD from the regular draenei or the different animations for the void elves which differ them from the blood elves and from which we can see how they wield the void power. Also the entire Elune magic seem like a arcane one, just look the casts of the Tyrande.

I think it is a bad choice.

Just because golden eyes on said races means “connected to the light”, it doesn’t need to mean that for other races. Especially when it’s already been established in age old lore.

Plus Nightelf male playable characters get to pick golden eyes. It’s just the female characters that can’t, so it’s already in the game and have been since vanilla, long before the Lightforged and the Blood Elves had it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call that established, since from the old lore from all night elf major characters only Malfurion and Illidan had golden eyes, majority of the night elves didn’t. And the source why the characters connected to the druidism got them was never explained.

So far a lot of the current races have something what defines them as a race not as a class. LFD have golden eyes, night elves got silver for them kinda unique eyes connected to their arcane power and now black ones connected to their night warrior lore, void elves models in the game have their void animations and the look, blood elves got their fel green eyes and the Sunwell golden ones, forsaken should get the red ones as an option. And I think how that’s cool. I wouldn’t rly like if everyone would start getting everything, than we would lose the differentiation between them.

I’m pretty sure its said that gold eyes on a night elf means they are destined for greatness.
And since the character night elf would have (list every feat the player has done) I would say it would be fitting.

1 Like

Lol ok but that seems more to me like someone pulled at that time a reason for that from you know where… . That’s not rly a good explanation.

How is that any worse than the blood elves and lightforged reasonings? They are just as bad in that case.

And nightelf playable characters already had golden eyes from the start, way before the blood elves and the lightforged. It’s just restricted to one gender, while the lightforged and bloodelves get to have it regardless of gender, and I’d like to see that for the nightelves too.

Not they aren’t, the culture of the entire those races and their history are based on those things. And you as the night elf already have 2 options for the eyes in the game ( males 3 ) while some other races got just one. And the fact that all male night elves got the option atm for the golden eyes regardless of the class, while in the lore only the ones connected with the druidism had those is ridiculous.

Nightelves have 3 eye colour options if you select the correct gender.

And the black eyes are absolute trash. The are the complete oposite of what I would have thought were logical to add, but not gonna shoot down new lore(at least the night warrior is nothing I have picked up on previously). It’s just that I wanted my FEMALE nightelf to have the same colour option as the male, mostly because it ties to who I view Aylish. She’s as Archdruid as she can get at this point.

That said, the bloodelves should have got their blue eyes back instead of new golden ones, when the sunwell was cleansed, but that’s just my opinion, and I clearly don’t agree with Blizzard’s recent choices in this case.

Wrong.

The desire for High Elves is also a matter of their allegiance. Giving Blood Elves blue eyes doesn’t magically erase the High Elves on Alliance.

Think Pandaren if one is still struggling to get the request.

2 Likes

Exactly this, it is not connection to the Light, even though Xe’ra mentioned something like that, when she was trying to lightforge Illidan. Those Night elves who have golden eyes are destined for greatness: Malfurion, Illidan, Azshara…

It was considered to be that, before it was discovered that it was actually connected with druidism. But than again its not something which defines the entire night elf culture or a race as a whole. Those type of eyes were rare among them ( I still believe how the players shouldn’t be in the lore equal in the power to some major characters like Illidan or Malfurion as individuals ) and/or connected to a class.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Night_elf#Golden_eyes

Even if that is the case, the site you sourced goes on to say how it became more common for night elves to have golden eyes
“Golden eyes quickly became far more common. After the Sundering, night elves abandoned their former obsession with bloodlines, and so the number of night elves born with golden eyes increased significantly.”

So this makes the case for female gold eyes even stronger so thanks I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like