Game doesn't work after 8.1 patch

When i switch my AMD settings for WoW to Power Saving it starts as normal but runs the game using my inter graphic chip at 20 fps. My amd card is
AMD Radeon ™ HD 8500M/8700M 2gb i think it is supproted by BFA. So i guess there is a problem between the game and the card that it uses.

And when i go to system settigns- advanced and try to change the video card it shows only my intel craphic chip which is totally strange cuz obviosuly my card is supported.

Well, I have this problem too… Win 8.1, reinstalled like a week ago, AMD radeon 8670M 2GB with updated drivers, my PC surely meets the minimum required specs, game was running just fine untill 8.1 release. Came home from work yesterday, wanted to play and guess what? Just black screen for a looong time (until i click somewhere, then it goes white and wow stops responding and im forced to shut it down … ). Doesnt matter if i wait 1 sec or 10 mins. The game is still not running. Wasted like 3 hours of my life trying to solve this. Updated graphics drivers, reinstalling the game, than running “repair” … Nothing helps. Today also, came home from work and cant launch WoW. Trying everything that i found, another 3 hours wasted :).
Blizzard, if the game ran without any problems 2 days before how the hell can it be in this state after a patch??? We are paying for this game, buying expansions, buying game time… It seems like you are just running this game for money (which is no prob, if it would run WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS!). Can you treat like paying customers ? Give us some feedback? Or are you trying to lose customers? If you do, you are doing great…

3 Likes

Okay, I’ve tried submitting this in Firefox, Chrome and finally IE. Seriously, your forum software sucks…

Problem: WoW after patch 8.1 fails to initiate the dedicated gaming graphics chip when starting the game, and uses the default Intel desktop graphics chip (which can’t run Direct3D, etc.) instead…

FIX: in Control Panel, go to Power Options, then Advanced Options. Change any and all graphics options to ‘MAXIMUM’ on battery and adapter. Apply, and reboot.
This will channel the game directly to your now-active gaming chip. It’ll also suck power and heat up your laptop, so reset power to ‘system defaults/recommended’ after gaming…!

Try to update your Intel videocard driver. Some users said that helps

Oh well, now it started, updated my intel graphic card drivers, looks like it helped but i was waiting like 15 mins on the black screen… Hope it wont crash tho :smiley: dont want to waste any more time, going to play now :smiley: but still, that is happening just after the last patch, hope blizzard will come with some hotfix, it would be annoying to wait 15 mins until it starts every time u want to play.

edit.: Crashed just after i logged in, clicked to system and it crashed, i wanted to edit my video settings, instead it crashes

edit2.: well it doesnt want to launch now … im done with this sh*t for today. Blizzard, do something about it, it drives me MAD as hell, im paying for your game but i cant play it even if i could 2 days ago … The hell is this

1 Like

Oh man, not a day passes by that **** goes to worse. The new “patch” made me have problems with the resolution again, now that I can’t exactly go to graphics menu I’m stuck with 64 bit graphics -.-. Does anyone know how to fix that Resolution & Render Scale from config file etc?

1 Like

After so many tryes i get it work : i set the compatibility mode for WoW.exe to win 8 and bam game was loading corectly.
i tried to go in wow settings and change to dx12 , restart and try to run game again but no luck. So i ll guess we need to run game on dx11 untill Lizzard will made a fix to also use dx12. For the Horde !

im running on windows 8.1 and DX11, if i switch to commpatibility mode it doesnt even goes black screen, just the cursor disappears and i have to run task manager and shut it down …

Snap but guess what Blizzard got paid

I’m fairly sure the problem for me is WoW not detecting my dedicated GPU. I have an Alienware 17 laptop with an AMD R9 M290X dedicated videocard and since the patch, the game seems to be running on the integrated Intel HD 4600 card.
My hardware definitely meets the sys req to play (AMD R9 M290X GPU is in the supported list). Was raiding Uldir on Ultra just fine, the evening before the patch.

After loading with a black screen for about 10-15 minutes, I get to the character selection screen, but it’s pixelated. The moment you hit system settings, the game goes back into not responding for about 5-10 minutes before the settings pop-up.

I dont know what you did but for me atlast for now problem is gone. Latency normal 20ms, network usage droped to almost zero.

After the recent update I am unable to enter the world. I can log in to the app fine, press PLAY, the gameplay loading screen pops up, the progress bar takes ages to fill, then once it’s full the gameplay window vanishes, the load screen still shows GAME IS RUNNING (or whatever the variation is), then the PLAY button appears again. I’ve gone through all the recommended processes deleting folders, checking driver updates, scan & repairs, rebooting, but to no avail. Any suggestions, please?

Oh, and I’ve done a SAVE ALL INFORMATION DxDiag file but don’t have an external place to save and Link to.

Many thanks xxx

Yea i think that when we have 2 video chips -> 1. intel and 2. AMD graphic card (for example) the intel card prevents wow from detecting the AMD card.
Evry time when i disable the AMD card nad use only the Intel chip games starts but runs at low FPS 10-20 then when i switch to AMD with the power usage controller in the amd settings i get this problem -> wow does not launch and crashes after pressing the Play button.

1 Like

I have Same Problem!
My Laptop With Intel 4400 HD AND AMD Radeon HD 8750M and I installed latest Driver For w8.1 x64 (17.7.1 Crimson Relive) and Game Not Run and just a Blank Screan and when I Select Power saving In AMD setting Game Switched to Intel and Run game Correctly with a VERY LOW FPS !!! So please Release a Update and Fix this Problem !!!
a lot of peaple have this Problem i cant play 2 days

2 Likes

I do not think thta they care dude. As u see still not a single decent reply form them.

What is Your Version of AMD app ?
(latest for w8.1 x64 is 17.7.1 Crimson ReLive)

i am with windows 7 --> Radeon Software Version
18.12.2 , Radeon Software Edition
Adrenalin 2019, Windows Version
Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) (64 bit), System Memory
8 GB, CPU Type
Intel® Core™ i7-3517U CPU @ 1.90GHz, Graphics Chipset
AMD Radeon ™ HD 8500M/8700M, Memory Size
2048 MB

Okay so, after getting into Graphics Settings miraclously I’ve found out the game only sees my intel 4000 graphics card?! What the hell?! There’s surely a problem with the game seeing the other, prob why it does not launch too…

Guys i found this on us forums and it helped me , i can play the game again. I just hope they dont put more hotfixs so it screws my game again ffs.

1. Open the Battle.net app and go to Settings
  2. Click Game Settings
  3. Check Additional command line arguments for World of Warcraft
  4. Type in -d3d11
  5. Click Okay and launch the client
1 Like

nope it does nto help. it helped u cuz by default u were going to use d12 isnted of d11 and that set it to d11